Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Tunning Stages, Please Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tunning Stages, Please Help

"Hi Guys,

I am a pretty recent new member to the site and have been reading the forum as much as I can. I have tried to post some questions but never seem to get any answers on the forum, not sure if I am posting them wrong, so I ll try one more last time.

I am very excited about owning a G, and want to focus on building the NA motor as much as possible. Having said that, can someone compile a list of all stages showing what stage 1, 2, 3, and 4 should be consisted out of? I currently have some mods on the G, but dont seem to be getting the results that I have been looking for, so Im really looking for your help.

Hope that I am not asking for too much, Thanks fellas"

So I originally posted this under the wrong Thread but thanks to Gary and V35Skyline GT they redirected me to the correct one, Thanks fellas.

To give more detail about my question above, I purchased my car in March, and since then I have added the following so far:

Fujita Air Intake
Pro 1 Cat back Exhaust
Megan Test Pipes
1/2 Motordyne Plenum Spacer (the best thing so far where I felt the difference)
Cobb Access Port - stage 2
Spark Plugs - NGK ( dont think that it makes a big difference, but regular maintenance is important)

I ve been talking to a lot of people in the area and everyone states that once the clutch, flywheel and pulleys are installed with a short shifter the car becomes a different animal?

Let me know your input guys, greatly appreciated

Old 10-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
For your last question I'm guessing you mean that people have said that by lightening the components that bolts onto the crankshaft will make the car more powerful. If you wish and try hard then yeah you might feel something, but it's nothing dramatic at all.

The notion of stage is overly used and there are no standards to what is stage 1, 2, 3, etc... It's mainly used for ranking within a manufacturer line of products.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
I think a tune is simply a custom tune based on the mod that you have. Stages probably refer more towards a flash tune, in which various maps/stages are created for various level of mods. To my knowledge there isn't a standardized staging for tuning.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. So during my further research, the ultimate question that I was trying to find the answer to is how I do I get the maximum performance out of the current stage where I am at, and how far I can get with a NA motor?

I have been reading other members set up, but I am not sure if I have done everything properly as far as tuning. This may sound silly, however besides setting up the Access Port map for the car, what is the other part to actual tuning? As for the stages, the reason why I ask, I found the following link:

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Engin...ally_Aspirated

Other question, what motor could possibly replace the VQ35DE that would bring all the works?

Please reply with any suggestions you may have,

Thanks again,

AR

Old 10-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
If you have one of those standard maps from Cobb then you are definitely leaving out alot on the table in terms of performance. To really maximize your parts, you will need to get your car to a tuner and get a custom tune. They'll put your car on a dyno machine and start the tuning from there with some computer hooked up to your car.

You can go fairly far with a NA motor but it's gonna cost a lot of money. Take a look at my350z.com section for NA engine, there is a lot of good information on NA motors it'll also give you an idea on how much work is involved. I have a build in progress over there as well, based on the link you have above then mine would be considered a stage5.

http://my350z.com/forum/na-builds-498/

What do you mean by what motor can replace the vq35de? A few guys have swapped the engine to the LSX (chevy motor) but it's not a simple plug and play.

edit: Looking at those stages on that link you have. It's very intriguing as to why they put some items in certain stages. LSD for example is by far not a stage 1 and to complete stage 1 in that case, it's not going to cost only 1k. The part is already 1k and labor on that alone is $500. I think it's better for you to follow your own path of mods to buy based on your research rather then going off of that site.

Last edited by gabe3d; 10-24-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
The fujita intake is a killer...it sucks in HOT ENGINE air. You need an airbox to shield it from that. Our engines are very picky with hot intake temps.

Your cat-back exhaust could in fact reduce power, but I'm not familiar with that brand so much. I do know that lots of exhausts don't change much besides sound on our cars and some do lose power.

The COBB AP needs a proper dyno tune to do much of anything.

Lighter clutch and pulleys will help the car ramp up to higher RPM's a lot faster. Lighter wheels will do the same thing.

I would highly recommend getting rid of your Fujita. Stock airbox is better than that. I would argue that the stillen airbox is the best aftermarket intake box but that the JWT pop charger intake filter and venturi is the best.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
"The fujita intake is a killer...it sucks in HOT ENGINE air"

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have a queestion in reference to your post above..how do you differentiate one CAI from another, and I was wondering if anyone had the Fujita CAI before? I ll be more than happy to look into something different, but so far as to what I am hearing I may have to end up going turbo.

Having said that, anyone that can recommend a good turbo besides Greddy, or APS? I plan to buy the parts in pieces since I can not buy it all at once, so if someone can list all the parts I would need I would greatly apprecaite it,

Thanks Fellas,

Alen

Old 10-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stage 0 = stock and naively happy

Stage 1 = Intake, exhaust, maybe headers, spacer, other NA nonsense --> mod bug just bit you and you're itching.

Stage 2 = ECU, other NA nonsense --> How can I make this thing faster.

Stage 3 = FI (single turbo, SC, etc) on stock block --> Wheeeeeee! then after a little while, how can I make this faster again.

Stage 4 = FI x 2 (part out stage 3 kit, buy a REAL FI kit (greddy twin, aps twin, etc) with built motor --> Wheeeeee! I wish I would have done this from the beginning and not wasted all that money on intakes and crap.

Joking aside, if you're not a speedaholic, then 'bout the only thing you can do now is get headers (arguable), clutch/flywheel, Higher FD, then a final dyno tune. All that it will still barely feel much faster.

Save your money, get a bottle, or go FI. JMHO.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi,

thats the best thing that I read so far, lol. I wanted to know if someone could list all the components that I would need for a turbo? Anyone, that would be a great help.

By the way, where are all the meets in the SFL G Club?

Tx.