Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Weird Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Weird Problem

Past few days I noticed something odd with my car. Haven't done any modifications to it. My check engine light has been on, but it's been on for a while since I got test pipes (months ago and no issues then).

Problem I have is the car turns on and when I let go of turning the ignition, the car struggles to turn on, kinda like an old car sputtering. Any ideas what it could be? Car is not under waranty anymore so the dealer is out of question.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you see a drop in RPM's?
Does it get better if you apply gas at that instant?

If so, check your maf and tb.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:13 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
borrow a code reader and tell us the codes they all might not be related to the test pipes. How about the battery? Is it the stock one, have you serviced it?

Old 11-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Haven't checked the RPM's. I'll see how it is next time I start the vehicle. I haven't tried applying gas at that instant. I had a similar probably before, but it was slightly different, it had a difficult time actually cranking, and that was the battery resting at 10.8V, I'm guessing it had a dead cell, so I replaced it with an Odyssey PC 1200...gonna swap that for a 1400 when I have the chance so that it's an OEM fit, but I don't think the battery is the problem.

Buddy of mine said it could be the spark plugs. I'm actually going to do my 60k service sometime this week or next.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
You might have multiple codes since you've been ignoring the cel. If you have been getting an 02 codes because of the test pipes, the car isn't going to be running right. Especially if the ecu is artifically trying to alter the a/f ratios based on some faulty info from the 02s. Or the ecu could be running a default ign and a/f because of the cel light. Either way, not the way to get the maximum performance out of your engine.

Run the codes and fix as necessary. I'd think perhaps your plugs could be getting fouled but that's a total guess.

Not sure why you spend thousands and thousands on mods but won't take care of your cel to keep the car running like it should.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
borrow a code reader and tell us the codes they all might not be related to the test pipes. How about the battery? Is it the stock one, have you serviced it?
I'll swing by Autozone tonight and see if I can read the codes. I doubt it's the test pipes though as I never had the issue before. The light would come on, and sometimes go away out of nowhere and come back again. And yeah, battery was replaced, but I'm going to check voltage again just in case.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You might have multiple codes since you've been ignoring the cel. If you have been getting an 02 codes because of the test pipes, the car isn't going to be running right. Especially if the ecu is artifically trying to alter the a/f ratios based on some faulty info from the 02s. Or the ecu could be running a default ign and a/f because of the cel light. Either way, not the way to get the maximum performance out of your engine.

Run the codes and fix as necessary. I'd think perhaps your plugs could be getting fouled but that's a total guess.

Not sure why you spend thousands and thousands on mods but won't take care of your cel to keep the car running like it should.
The light would come on and go away. I wouldn't notice any difference in the vehicles performance or anything. I was going to install the non-foulers but I couldn't do it myself as it seems there is no space, so I'm going to have the shop that installed my test pipes do it. I'd rather have them do it and deal with the problem than myself.

Thanks for the opinions. Just to verify, the plug for the OBD II reader.scanner is located under the dash on the driver side, correct? I haven't checked yet since I'm at work, but I'm assuming that's where it is.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Red Card Crew

yes, the obdII plug is under the driver's side dash. Usually left of the steering wheel. Store guys will know where to look. OBDII protocol states the plug should be in the same general location regardless of make/model.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Gotcha...just looked and yeah, it's where I thought it was. At the Autozone I go to they won't check the codes themselves. I guess the dealerships would complain that they lost customers since they would charge the 1 hr flat rate just to check for codes and Autozone did it for free. Now, Autozone lets you do it yourself in exchange for leaving your drivers license as collateral.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Red Card Crew

Since there are about 5-10 of you modded guys in socal, I can't believe at least ONE of you locals haven't invested in an OBDII scanner. Don't multiple guys down there have Osiris reflashes? If yes, then they also have the Cipher obdII code scanner stuff also. Although the reflash is car owner specific, the cable and Cipher can be used for any Nissan.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:04 PM
I personally don't know anyone with an Osiris reflash. I don't really see too much of a point in buying an OBD II scanner if it can be obtained/used for free.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Red Card Crew

Well the cheapo scanners just spit out a code and that's it. Good ones like the Ciper, autoenginuity and a few others not only scan but can do running tests and even datalog. I can clear codes and do many other things with my own autoenginuity OBDII with the nissan enhanced option.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Seems quite useful to have what you have, but I'm sure it costs a few shiny pennies as well.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
if you need help reading and clearing the code let me know...

BTW, if it were your test pipes throwing the code it would be the O2 sensor 2 - this would not create an issue with performance (as previously mentioned)... sensor 1 reads a/f and ECU adjusts, sensor 2 is solely for emissions, so you wont pass smog, but it wont affect your performance.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks Mike. I get off work in about an hour so I'll be able to see what codes are showing up. I'll provide an update when I get home.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weird Problem