Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Car won't start, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
That is true. The IPDM problem is more common that I thought. It's easy to test if those relays are working with a meter.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I know close to nothing about cars, so I couldn't look into the possible solutions. I had planned to have my car towed in this morning to the dealer because it was the first day they had a loaner car. Tried to start it in hopes it would start, but it didn't. I had to get it out of the garage, but somehow, I had locked up the brakes and couldn't put it in neutral. Popped the shift lock so I could move the car into neutral. Tried to start it again just for kicks and it started like a champ. Drove down to the dealer. The guy there started my car four times and said he didn't know why it wouldn't start before and he couldn't do anything for me unless it acted up again. Anyone know why my car is possessed like this? Something I can throw out to the dealer when this happens again =(. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Grocery getter

I'm thinking more and more it has to be related to a fuse, relay or something in the IPDM. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
+1

its the only thing that makes sense because a battery/starter failure would be more consistent and would struggle more and more each time it did start.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Just talked to the dealer and he said it threw out a nat (?) code so he is reporgramming my keys to the tune of $200. I mentioned that it might be the ipdm, but he said probably not and lets do this cheaper fix since it actually threw out a code this time. I have a feeling this isn't over yet, though, since he said he checked my key last time (or did he?). Thanks for all your help!

BTW, anyone know if the ipdm for the g35 coupe is the same for the Nissan 350z? I have a friend who works for Nissan and I might be able to get a bit of a discount. Thanks again.

Last edited by aimlessone; 11-09-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Grocery getter

Nope, IPDM is not the same. It's not even the same between the coupe and sedan or different years. You can have them check your VIN vs a Z one to be sure.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aimlessone
Just talked to the dealer and he said it threw out a nat (?) code so he is reporgramming my keys to the tune of $200. I mentioned that it might be the ipdm, but he said probably not and lets do this cheaper fix since it actually threw out a code this time. I have a feeling this isn't over yet, though, since he said he checked my key last time (or did he?). Thanks for all your help!

BTW, anyone know if the ipdm for the g35 coupe is the same for the Nissan 350z? I have a friend who works for Nissan and I might be able to get a bit of a discount. Thanks again.
Do you happen to have a remote starter alarm system?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man... this makes me more and more confused. My car lately (since a month or so) has problem starting sometimes. If I start it cold in the morning it starts fine, but if I use it and wait for about an hour or more after shutting it down it cranks but takes a lot longer than normal to start. If I shut it down immediately and turn it back on it starts fine. If I let switch in on for a few seconds and try to start it, it starts fine. Initially I thought it was a bad fuel pump because the fuel pressure apparently is low when trying to start the car, since if I let it stand for a moment while the pump charges it starts fine. But after reading more and more about different situations I get more confused on what it could really be. The car runs completely fine always, there's no services engine light or anything at all. Just when it starts after being shut down for a couple of hours.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSa4...&feature=g-upl

here is a video of what happens sometimes. Sometimes it cranks a little sooner but kind of starts really weak.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe a check valve on the fuel pump or a leaking/plugged fuel pump inlet. On my car it would not do anything. The IPDM, body module, you name it was replaced and then if functioned for about a year with a couple of weird things but it always would start. However about last Christmas it did it again, ironically while at a Nissan dealer for an oil change. What it turned out to be in my case was a sensor in the transmission valve body. The valve body was replaced and all has been good. I doubt in your case it doesn't apply since in my case the engine would not crank. The sensor proves that the transmission is not in gear.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 PM
car won't start

whats up guys.
i have a 06 g35 coupe, if i start the car and drives it for a few mins or so and shuts it off, it won't start back ill have to wait a few hours then start it back, what I've also notice is that the security light on the left hand corner became solid as well, I've replace bcm hats antenna new keys program them and same issue. any help will be nice thanks

Old 02-07-2018, 11:24 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Start by getting your battery load bank tested at an auto parts house. Battery needs to be disconnected from the vehicle to test. Next test the alternator charging system. This is done with the battery hooked up and the engine running. If you don't locate the problem by this point I recommend a trip to Nissan for a diagnostic which is about $150 so you know exactly what the problem is, you might have a failing BCM.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:45 AM
How is it?

Originally Posted by aimlessone
I have an 05 coupe (now out of warranty!) which used to be a daily driver until I got an another car about a year ago. Now the time is split about 40/60 g/other car as far as driving goes. I usually drive it every other day or every second day. I live in Texas, so no freezing weather right now and no extreme heat, either. I had my battery replaced earlier this year at the dealer. A little over a month ago, I didn't drive my car for about 2 weeks because it was raining so much and I didn't want to keep washing my car. The first sunny day, I took my G out to do some errands. I made two stops and at the second stop, the car would not start. It turned, but didn't catch. I tried jump starting it even though I knew it probably wasn't the battery and that didn't work. I had it towed to the dealer where they spent two days on it. They said it wasn't the key (I guess they checked) and said they had no diagnostic codes to go by so they had to figure it out old-school. They finally chalked it up to a bad fuel pump and replaced it under the powertrain warranty (whew!).

The next day, I drove the car around to do errands stopping at many places and the car started and ran fine. The day after, I left for a three week trip and left the car sitting in the garage. The day after I get back, I try to start the car and get the exact same result. It cranks, but won't catch. I am waiting to have it towed to the dealer, but obviously, the dealer doesn't really know what is going on with the car. Any ideas I can throw at them? I don't enjoy throwing hundreds of dollars around at solutions that really aren't. Thanks.
How is the car now, if you still have it. My 05 g35 is currently in the shop having the same issue. It cranks but doesn't start. You said it was you fuel tank pump that was the issue right?

Old 02-08-2018, 08:22 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Z1 Motorsports makes a sandwich adaptor that fits between the fuel rail and the fuel damper so you can add a gauge. Get one so you can test fuel pressure it's only about $35 and the cost of a gauge or Schrader valve depending on how you want to go.