Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

TS ECU. Should I?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TS ECU. Should I?

I want get some opinions on "flashing" my ECU. ('04 G 6MT)

Is it worth it?
Does it void any warranties?
Can you do it without shipping across the US.
If anybody has done this, what were the results?

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Re: TS ECU. Should I?

Go to the Nor. Cal forum and check our dyno-day results. A sedan with TS ECU posted up to 15 rwhp more than my identical sedan (stock ECU). Do a search, there are several TS threads. In short, it appears that the TS air-fuel (A/F) ratio adjustments and timing advance at higher RPM do indeed provide measureable hp/tq gains. It is also claimed that the TS ECU is, for all practical purposes, undetectable by the dealer (thus shouldn't affect your warrantee). Note that the timing advance caused the aforementioned sedan to detonate (ping) on the dyno. If you live in a part of the country with better gas than we have in Cal., you might see more of a benefit.

2004.5 G35 Sedan | Garnet Fire + Willow | 6MT | Z-Tube, K&N panel | Stillen Cat-Back

Old 09-01-2004, 04:51 PM

I wouldn't get it unless you have done extensive airflow related mods (intake, plenum, cats, exhaust) - otherwise the only thing you'll be getting is an increased redline (which you will not be able to take advantage of because you will not be making any more power up top)

when I dynoed last (July), I made power all the way to redline and it was still climbing like crazy, so in my case, I think I'm in desperate need of a reflash (but it's hard to do without my car for 3+ days) - I made 245hp at the wheels @ ~6500 rpms on my best run (238 tq) - I'm guessing after the reflash, I could be making mid-250's around 7100 rpms...

I have the following:
Pro-1 Intake
UR Crank Pulley
Kinetix Plenum
Kinetix Resonated Test Pipes
GReddy EVO2 Exhaust

Pro-1 Headers, 350 EVO Throttle body, and a set of cams are the other engine mods I'm going to be doing, then I'm done! I just need to figure out when I'm going to get a reflash, because I will have to send it back after I get the cams (I plan on headers/TB in the next couple months and cams after the first of the year)... my goal is 280 HP N/A, so we'll see how close I can get...

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT
Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Pro-1 Intake, Resonated Test Pipes, UR Pulley, CF Engine Cover, GReddy EVO II, Kinetix Plenum, Hotchkis Sways

Old 09-01-2004, 05:01 PM

I agree, IMO if you've done the other intake and exhaust mods, this is a must have, if not I would get other stuff first.

My recommendation would be to do all the intake, exhaust, and pulley work you are planning, then get the ECU done, that way you dont have to get it reflashed with your new mods.
Thats exactly what I did and let me tell you the car feels noticeably faster all around especialy mid rpms. Well worth it!

www.nypokertour.com

Old 09-02-2004, 08:32 AM

could you guys post TS's website?? I live in GA, if I want to get my ecu re-flased, what do I have to do?

Old 09-02-2004, 08:49 AM

www.technosquareinc.com

Find your car on the site and print the ECU removal instructions and the mods form to be sent with the ECU. Once you get it out, send it overnight to Cally ($50) and wait approximately 48 hours by the front door. Then jump up and down when the UPS guy comes and give him a big hug, install and enjoy.

www.nypokertour.com

Old 09-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Banned

Do the ECU flash after your done with the mods . I would tell them you want your A/F at 12.8 to 13.2 . I had mine done and I dynoed afterwards . The A/F was 12.5 and that is to rich for a N/A car . Unless you live in Cal. [bad gas ]

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old

Old 09-03-2004, 06:56 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Note that the timing advance caused the aforementioned sedan to detonate (ping) on the dyno.

<hr></blockquote>

With all of the problems people have had with FI and the TS ECU (just ask KPierson how his second engine is doing) and now people needing race gas to make it run right with NA setups... I personally think that we should wait for another company like Stillen or JWT to come up with a better solution. At least give TS some more time to "get it right".

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 09-03-2004, 12:44 PM

"I personally think that we should wait for another company like Stillen or JWT to come up with a better solution. At least give TS some more time to "get it right"."

I agree. It seems that TS has not quite perfected the ECU upgrade. Detonation at high RPM's is not acceptable. There have also been some posts about how raising the redline is pretty much pointless on the G35c. You also risk severe engine damage without reinforced valve springs to go along with the raised redline. That's why the Nismo S1 engine package includes reinforced valve springs with the ECU upgrade.