Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

AutoSport patch harness DYI--Vortech

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AutoSport patch harness DYI--Vortech

I thought I'd post this answer to a PM I received regarding the AutoSport patch harness that can be used to simplify connection of the Vortech Split Second timing box to the car's ECU harness in the interior right kickpanel. The URL for the harness is www.autosportwiring.com and the guy who hand builds these, Richard, is extremely helpful. The patch harnesses are of excellent quality and will outlast the car's own electrical system by 100 years.

Originally Posted by twilightG35
Hey how you doing. I had a quick question for you regarding the autotech wiring patch if you dont mind me asking. So ive been communicating with Richard about the harness and sale is pending due to the fact that he will be leaving to a viper/supra meet and will be back on Sunday. But anyway i was wondering how many total wires are needed to be cut and soldered to make this patch work correctly with the stock ecu? Is any wires of the stock ecu needed to be cut?
I havnt received the sc kit yet so i dont really know how the ss box looks like. If you can let me know that would be great..

Thanks,

GG
SS box is rectangular, about 1 inch thick and Velcro's to the side of the car's battery. On top are two electrical harnesses, one of which goes down the main ECU harness grommet into the right kickpanel next to the ECU. On the bottom of the box is a vacuum hose that connects to your plenum port. You cut off 6" from the ends of each wire in the box's harness so as to solder them to the Autosport patch harness in the bright light and warmth of your house following the instructions that come with the patch harness. Two of the wires in the patch harness are left uncut--you spread open the insulation with a high quality wire stripper (get one at Radio Shack) and then solder onto the exposed wire. The rest are cut and stripped (that is the color coded wires that are also longer to help you do this). One pre-cut 6" pig tail is soldered to one side of the patch harness wire cut, and one to the other. You have to be careful to look at the diagram correctly. It depicts the interior of the female plug (looking into the female side), not the exterior of the male end. Call Richard if you're confused about this. Be careful to assure that you're soldering to the proper side of the cut. The male end of the patch harness goes into the ECU. Female into the main ECU harness.

Inside the kick panel, you simply match up the precise colors of the SS box harness to the pig tails you've soldered to the patch harness. You then solder these together. Then, you plug the patch into the ECU on one side and the harness on the other. You have to open the clamps up WIDE to get things to hold together when you close the clamps.

Nothing gets cut in the car's harness. That's the beauty of the patch harness. You can instantly return the car's electrical system to stock by unplugging the harness. Plus, if you screw up, you've only messed up the patch harness and can easily fix it.

Make sure you solder--don't use plug-in crimp connectors. Electrically tape all the solder joints. It's tedious but not difficult.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info provided. You pretty much sumed up all my questions regarding the wiring patch. I plan on ordering it as soon as Richard gets back.
Once again thanks...

GG