Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

How hard is it to switch out motors, mine blown

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How hard is it to switch out motors, mine blown

My timing belt gave out and now only my crank is turning. I'm certain it destroyed the valves. I've switched out older motors 350 chevy, Honda, Nissan pickups. How hard is the G to do a swap yourself? Is it plug and play?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Also need a good place to get a lower mileage used motor in Georgia

Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
considering that your car doesnt even have a timing belt... i'd take it somewhere

Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeh its timing chains bro

Old 03-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy_G
considering that your car doesnt even have a timing belt... i'd take it somewhere

Old 03-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Either way. I know when EITHER belt or chains are broken. I am familiar with the sound and the characteristics. I'm taring it down tomorrow to verify but the engine shut off and when turning over it has NO resistance(No Compression). Sounds like and feels like ONLY the crank is spinning. The crank turns but nothing happens. I know it's trashed. I should have known it was delicate at 130k miles. The guy I bought it from said he had the timing chain replaced. He lied.

I need another motor and someone who has done it before to tell me if it's a normal motor swap or is it more complicated. I have swapped a half dozen engines in my 33 years but every car is different. Is there anything I should watch out for or can I unplug and label and pull and re-install a new(used) motor?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 AM
No offense, but if you need to ask about things to look out for in a swap maybe you shouldn't be doing the swap. I've probably done more swaps than you and never once had to ask that. It's as simple as taking it apart and putting it back together in a reverse order. Unless your swapping to a different motor altogether but unless you failed to mention that I do not believe you are. Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Goodluck

Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by Dragon350GT
No offense, but if you need to ask about things to look out for in a swap maybe you shouldn't be doing the swap. I've probably done more swaps than you and never once had to ask that. It's as simple as taking it apart and putting it back together in a reverse order. Unless your swapping to a different motor altogether but unless you failed to mention that I do not believe you are. Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck.
I knew someone would say that. No worries. I will be fine. Just asking about anything abnormal to look for. I am fully competant in swapping just thought I would ask about any speedbumps in the process before I dove into it since I haven't had to work on a G before.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:42 AM
THAT's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, it looks easier than the other cars I've done since the front core support is removable.
Thanks!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
I have a feeling that it's not your chain or motor.

Check started and flywheel

Look how tightly chain packed in there.

If it would have snapped you know how much noise you would have heard? And I bet your car should shake like a mother fvcker.

If your piston or rod went out, it's also easy to check.
Simply pop the oil pan and check for metal in the pan.

But I doubt anything is wrong with your motor (unless you ran it with no oil and friend the rings).

Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by JOKER
I have a feeling that it's not your chain or motor.

Check started and flywheel

Look how tightly chain packed in there.

If it would have snapped you know how much noise you would have heard? And I bet your car should shake like a mother fvcker.

If your piston or rod went out, it's also easy to check.
Simply pop the oil pan and check for metal in the pan.

But I doubt anything is wrong with your motor (unless you ran it with no oil and friend the rings).
Hmmmmm, there was a loud box of rocks sound. Like something let loose. I know the HB came off and is sitting there. The car shut off immediately.
When I turn over the car there is no resistance at all, no compression. If the chain was intact it should feel normal when turning over instead of just the starter spinning. The crank is spinning when the starter spins it but thats it.
I don't see any other way it would act like it is. But I will check it out after work today to be certain but I am sure it is broken.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I suggest downloading the service manual, so you have all the torque specs for everything.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
I suggest downloading the service manual, so you have all the torque specs for everything.
Foudn it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to switch out motors, mine blown