Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Do I need to change my oil after seafoam or lucas only in fuel? Also Seafoam VS Lucas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need to change my oil after seafoam or lucas only in fuel? Also Seafoam VS Lucas

Hey guys, so I've been getting crappy fuel mileage (whole other thread about this). I wanted to start a separate thread about the following.

I read an entire thread about seafoam but when I went to Advance, they recommended Lucas for me to clean my fuel injection system out. I've also heard good things about BG44k. So I'm wondering for our specific cars, which is the one I should use for a first time at 37k miles cleaning?

Mind you, I am only dumping a can into the fuel tank, not any of the other fancy stuff.

My second question is, do I need to change my oil after using any of these if I am ONLY putting it into the gas tank? I sure hope not because I just put in all synthetic a few hundred miles ago...this may make or break whether or not I decide to use this stuff in the first place. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
For fuel system cleaner that is easy to get hold of I would go with Redline Sl-1 or Gumout Regane. Both highly recommended on BITOG. You could also go with Amsoil, but they are usually harder to get hold of unless you know of a local distributor. I have also heard good stuff about BG44, but you usually have to get it mail order.

Oh, and yes it is a good idea to change your oil after doing fuel system cleaner or oil cleaner.

Last edited by 5150DS; 03-26-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by 5150DS
For fuel system cleaner that is easy to get hold of I would go with Redline Sl-1 or Gumout Regane. Both highly recommended on BITOG. You could also go with Amsoil, but they are usually harder to get hold of unless you know of a local distributor. I have also heard good stuff about BG44, but you usually have to get it mail order.

Oh, and yes it is a good idea to change your oil after doing fuel system cleaner or oil cleaner.
I bought some Lucas today from pressure from the advance guys. Not sure if it's the right choice over seafoam and still considering going in for hte swap.

Anyway, does anyone else have any opinions as to whether or not I need to change the oil after I add Lucas to the fuel tank? If this is the case, I will probably wait another 4k miles or so, which sucks. It doesn't say on the Lucas bottle that I need to do this though...how would gas mix with oil anyway?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 PM
I don't think you would need to do anything to the oil

Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
uh, well people at BITOG say with BGK44 you should but with Redline Si-1 you don't need to.

And BGK44 does not have the vital ingredient any more so its worthless.

I just ran Redline Si-1 in my tank after reading reviews. and comments. go grab that stuff. Cheap too.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
uh, well people at BITOG say with BGK44 you should but with Redline Si-1 you don't need to.

And BGK44 does not have the vital ingredient any more so its worthless.

I just ran Redline Si-1 in my tank after reading reviews. and comments. go grab that stuff. Cheap too.
Advance didn't have it. I figured I'll start with Lucas and then see and maybe switch to something else eventually. There are so many people recommending different things that it's hard to choose one.

I just want to make sure that if I use Lucas, I won't have to change the oil. Is Lucas like Redline in that I don't need to change the oil? Thanks again guys!

Old 03-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
^ I dont remember, google "bob is the oil guy redline Si-1" and check the subform those thread are in they talk about fuel system cleaners,There was like 4 that they talked about Amsoil, Redline and 2 others I forget.

Redline has 30-50% of PolyEther Amine according to its MSDS http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...ner%20MSDS.pdf

PolyEther Amine is the vital ingredient that cleans the best and does not leave residue.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
^ I dont remember, google "bob is the oil guy redline Si-1" and check the subform those thread are in they talk about fuel system cleaners,There was like 4 that they talked about Amsoil, Redline and 2 others I forget.

Redline has 30-50% of PolyEther Amine according to its MSDS http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...ner%20MSDS.pdf

PolyEther Amine is the vital ingredient that cleans the best and does not leave residue.
I found out the local pep boys has the redline stuff. So I'm gonna go get that in 5 min. I am nearly on empty so I was gonna dump it in my tank right after getting it, then filling up on the way home. Tomorrow I have a 3-3.5 hr trip I have to make. Is it OK for it to sit in my tank for 20 or so hours before I go on this long trip? And just to re-confirm (sorry I just want to be sure I'm not making anything worse)...I can use redline SI-1 and not change the oil?

Old 03-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I like the Lucas fuel treatment. Its a great product, been using it for years.

yes, its ok for you to just let it sit in your tank. It will mix with the gas.

You do not need to change your oil after using that in the FUEL. If you do an oil treatment then I would change your oil after a couple hundred miles.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
I like the Lucas fuel treatment. Its a great product, been using it for years.

yes, its ok for you to just let it sit in your tank. It will mix with the gas.

You do not need to change your oil after using that in the FUEL. If you do an oil treatment then I would change your oil after a couple hundred miles.
Thanks again guys.

So I was able to use a $10/25 coupon at Pep boys so I bought a bottle of both Lucas and Red line. I think I'll go fill up with red line now. I'm wondering if I should use the lucas in my next tank or in a few tanks just to doubly clean it if this helps my mileage.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:52 PM
the deed is done. I've filled up with redline.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not experienced with Redline but I am with both BG products and Lucas products. Lucas is great for that "every other oil change" additive to the tank. I prefer the BG products that you DON't put in the tank. There is an intake cleaner that gets attached to a vacuum line somewhere on your intake tract and it gets sucked into the motor during idle. I think you have to hold your RPMs up for a short period and then let the car idle until the can is empty. That cleans the intake runner as well as all the valves. It takes some of the buildup from the upper cylinder and the top of the pistons as well.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
ive used both the lucas and the gumount as well as stp in another car before. gumount offers about 5 different levels of they fuel injection cleaner. look for the gumount regaine. its like the 2nd from the highest model or you could get the one thatll be a dollar more for the best one. however lucas is good but more as a lubricant for your cylinder head with not as much cleaner as gumount. but gumount has more cleaner then lubricant. lucas oil stabilizer is awesome but thats another subject lol.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
and btw zmax and a company named berryman(chemtool complete three stage fuel system cleaner) also make a two and three stage cleaning kits too but they are usually around 20 dollars.

Last edited by DailyDrivenCoupe; 03-29-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: got the official name of the chemtool stage three
Old 07-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Thread revive here. Can anyone who's tried these products- redline, gumout, zmax, Seafoam, Berryman, bg44, Lucas - tell me which is the best value?

Last edited by PLENUMCOUPE; 08-27-2014 at 10:32 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do I need to change my oil after seafoam or lucas only in fuel? Also Seafoam VS Lucas