Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Mods Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods Installed

Just got my car back from the shop, they installed the Stillen Exhaust, Stillen Rear Camber Kit, Nismo Sway bars, Nismo Type S Suspension and 350z tube.

First the Stillen Exhaust. I was disappointed by the sound in the exhaust, at first it sounds cool, but unlike the Nismo Exhaust on my 350z, the stillen drones you out when cruising. On the Nismo It sounds like stock when idle and when cruising, but on the Stillen it only sounds stock when idle, even when your just curising it has a drone that kind of gets on your nerves. I'm probably going to remove it. If anyone has the Nismo exhuast on there sedan, can you let me know how it sounds? If its similar to the 350z, I think i'll go ahead and order it.

Now all the guys in there early 20's at the shop thought it sound awesome and thought it was perfect even cruising, so I guess its a age thang, my nerves are not what they used to be hehe.

The Nismo Suspension and Sway bars. I love it, no body roll and its VERY comfortable. If I was to rate it from 1 to 10 on stiffness, 1 being stock G35 suspenion and 10 being 350z. I would say its definatly a 7. This is the way the sport suspenion on the g35 should of been.

If anyone is interested in a Stillen Catback exhuast with only few miles on it, I think i'll probably be selling it.

Only other problem i noticed after i got home was a noise coming from the right rear tire. Kind like the brake pad was out of alignment and was touching as the tire rolled. Didnt sound like grinding but more like a cheeee cheeeee cheeee noise. Going to take it back to the shop tomorrow and have them look at it.

2003.5 G35 Sedan White/6MT - 2004 350z Roadster Black/6MT

Old 09-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Re: Mods Installed

how did z tube workout?

Old 09-14-2004, 10:22 PM

to be honest, not sure since i installed it at the same time i put the exhuast on. Although i'm wondering now if i put the stock tube back on if it would quite down the exhuast some, since I read somewhere that the reason you get hp from the 350z tube is because the g35 stock one has baffles in it to get it quiter. I might switch it out this weekend and see if it quiets down my exhuast some. I'll let u know how it turns out

Old 09-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactly which S-tune suspension did you end up with? Their's a world of difference between the two S-tune's

Nismo S-tune (uses progressive springs)
G35 Sedan
347/342 F+10% R+0%
Transfers 10% roll stiffness to front

Nismo S-tune (uses progressive springs, especially in rear)
350Z/G35 Coupe
448/504 F+43% R+48%
Transfers +5% roll stiffness to rear

The sedan S-tune's aren't much stiffer spring wise, so the difference is via shock tuning. Thing is, one could accomplish that and more with adjustable Tokico D-specs on oem 350Z springs. Drop would be the same, adjustable dampning, and no progressive spring compromise on at the limit performance, not to mention $550 cost vs $1550 plus. 350Z/G35 Coupe S-tunes while still using progressive springs, are a different story of course.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 09-14-2004, 11:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan

Thanks for the review. The droning sound of the Stillen exhaust has been a complaint I've read before. I'm the same as you, the older I get the more stuff gets on my nerves.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

No one has the entire Nismo exhaust system for the sedan. Finding a sedan exhaust system that sounds like the 350Z will never pan out, you'll only vaguely come close, just not the same muffler design's or layout. If Injen ever releases it's sedan system, it will would just like the 350Z Injen system as the mufflers are the same parts. One member did buy the rear section, but he ended up selling his car before ever installing it. His attempts to sell it on ebay never panned out, not sure what became of it, he likely still has it as anyone here would have spoke up about something like that. The sedan Nismo system will not out power the Stillen, fundemental element's to do so just aren't their, but I would really extreamly curious to hear what it sounds like. Given that the system use's a a version of the oem premuffler, it is likely that it does not suffer from typical aftermarket mid range drone. But, it may also suffer from the same problem that the current sedan premuffler suffers from. While it is a straight through design, with only a mild lazy S turn on the inside. Once the pipe enter's the premuffler body it constrict's down to 55mm and doesn't go back to normal diameter (65mm) till the pipe leaves the premuffler.

We did have one member that added on some simple sheet metal pieces to his Stillen sedan muffler and he reported a decided improvement in drone. His post did include detail's on what he did. I don't have it book marked, sorry. I'd try that before I'd settle for spending more money on less power. But I sure want to hear what that sedan Nismo sounds like (grin).

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 09-15-2004, 12:48 AM

Its the S-Tune for the Sedan. I have a 350z roadster with the stock suspension and for me its rough enough. So the S-tune for my sedan is perfect. I wouldnt want it any stiffer then it is now. But thats just me. back when I was 18 I loved extreamly stiff cars, made me feel like I was in a race car, but the older you get the less you want the vibrations to transfer the suspension into your bones.

To me its the pefect setup. I don't like coilovers because I dont want to spend the time trying to get the perfect setting. Not to mention I had a friend who bottom out on a pot hole once and broke the threads on one of the coilovers. I prefer a fixed system. For the young guy who wants to be hardcore, coilovers are probably the way to go. For the guy in his mid 30's, a slightly stiffer suspension then stock with no body roll and a 1" drop is perfect

As for the exhaust, Sound is more important to me then HP gains. Also one thing i think is weak on the Stillen Exhaust is the dual tips. They look flimsy. They should look at the Nismo exhaust tips for how it should be done.

I got a quote for $1400 for the Nismo Weldina Exhaust for G35 sedan. He said it would take 4-10 weeks for it to be shipped over from japan. I'm tempted to order it....

Old 09-15-2004, 12:53 AM

Ok, well since nobody else has orderd this exhaust, I think im going to go ahead and get it. The place I got the quote from was Bullet Proof Automotive. Has anyone order stuff from them before? www.bulletproofautomotive.com

Old 09-15-2004, 02:01 AM

Give us an update once you have have the nismo exhaust on

I am looking at it too

Old 09-15-2004, 02:21 AM

Hydrazine posted the Stillen mod. Prior to spending money on the Nismo exhaust, give the Stillen 1000 miles. Its sound characteristic change considerably in time. If you're only interested in the "sound" why buy a full cat-back system at all? Just buy a muffler for sound w/o hp gains!?! That's certainly a lot cheaper.

2004.5 G35 Sedan | Garnet Fire + Willow | 6MT | Z-Tube, K&N panel | Stillen Cat-Back

Old 09-15-2004, 03:38 AM

For me money is not the issue. If I can get HP with a nice exhaust note, i'm all for it Besides I had a Mugen Catback exhaust on my 2000 prelude and it had no droning sound at cruising speeds. Nor does my 350z Nismo exhaust. So its possible to get good gains in HP and keep the exhaust note civilized. My personal opinion is, for the money Stillen charges for there catback exhaust, they should of tweak it so there would be no droning at cruising speeds.

Before I do anything i'm going to put the stock intake back on and remove the 350z tube and see if the droning goes away. If not im definatly going to order the Nismo.

I did see some people complain about the droning, but I also read that some said it was not loud at all. I'm guessing these people either have bad hearing or loud sterro systems in there car

I think it comes down to age. Its like sterro systems, when I was 18 I would stuff my trunk with 15" subs and amps. Now the stock system is more then adequate hehe... I think when u get older your nervous system gets worse. Besides I was a little embarrased when I turned on to my street and I just punched it a little bit and everyone in the area turned to see what what the hell i was driving lol.

Like I mentioned before I was hoping the Stillen was Similar to the Nismo. The Nismo is a full catback exhuast and is quite during normal excelleration (maybe a tad louder). and only gets really loud when you punch it hard, plus there is no droning at all. I was hoping the Stillen was the same.

I'm not trying to knock stillen, as most people on here will probably love the sound the stillen exhaust makes. I know all the guys at the shop thought it was awesome sounding... but as i mentioned before they were like 18-25 years old... I also wanted to mention that this exhaust does not sound as bad as rice civics and integras you see driving around with there coffee can exhuasts. But I feel Stillen kind of skip on the quality issues of it and just concentrated on the performance of the exhaust.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:35 AM

I too have installed the Stillen, I have had it for a week and a half and am completely torn. Part of me likes the aggressive tone (the part closer to 30) and the other half is bugged by the drone between 2.5K and 3.5K rpm (the part closer to 35). I put some carpet underlayment in the trunk and that reduced some of the sound (not much) and I do think as more miles are put on the Stillen, the sound is quieting
Also, last night I installed the Z-tube I took the whole commute this morning and noticed a definate decrease in the annoying tone of the drone. It seemed to be deeper and more acceptable. I figure today I will talk my boss into taking it for a drive and give his $.02. He drives both a Lexus LS 430 and Chevy SST-R truck. If he gives it the thumbs up, I will prob. keep it. If not, off the Stillen comes on Friday.

Chris

2004.5 Diamond Graphite AT Sedan Premium/Aero/Nav

Old 09-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with you on the sound issue, that's why I'm thinking of just getting a Y pipe. BTW I saw that you have the aero kit, I heard that on the pearl white you can see a different shade on the side skirts, is this true?

Old 09-15-2004, 11:22 AM

Yes you can see the difference in color with pearl white and the side skirts and rear skirt. My car is pearl white, I can definately see the difference, but it depends on the lighting too. Or maybe i am just getting use to it....

BTW doesnt fujitsubo make the NISMO exhaust??? If that is the case, why dont you go with the fujistubo exhaust for the sedan, I have it, and I love it. Sounds mean at WOT and is quiet during normal driving.....or do you not like it cos of the big tip???

Old 09-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like that coffee can look, reminds me of civic

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mods Installed