Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

DIY Low Profile Ramps - great for changing oil on lowered g's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Wow, looks better than mine....mine is so ghetto. Just got some scrap 1/2" oak plywood and stacked 4 one over the other about 4-6" apart and used drywall screws.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're willing to spend a little bit more, you can get Tomioka low profile ramps:

http://www.g35parts.com/Tomioka-Raci...p/trslopes.htm

Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I seemed to have missed those in my hunt for ramps. The only problem I see with those is they only are 2.5" high. That's good if you only want to reach a jacking point with a low profile jack but my oil drain pan wouldn't even fit under with that little. Using those would be like only using the wood sections of mine as the wood alone is 3" higher. I cant imagine stopping there to change oil. Still nice though if that's all you want it for.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
doesnt the oil get rushed to the back of the engine?
If you are concerned about the car being level when you change the oil, Race Ramps also makes Roll Ups, which are 4" tall. You can drive the rear wheels onto the Roll Ups as the front wheels go up the ramps. Allows more room to get under the car too.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^^yea doesnt it cause the oil to rush to one side so when ur draining the oil u dont get the max amount out that u would if the car was flat? idk jus wondering

Old 05-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
^^yea doesnt it cause the oil to rush to one side so when ur draining the oil u dont get the max amount out that u would if the car was flat? idk jus wondering

As long as the car is level from left to right you are all good. actually with the drain plug in the back it is better to have the car inclined like that. I totally understand what your saying though. You definitely don't what to jack up one side of the car and try to change the oil.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Nice, been thinking about making some, too, since I can't really get up my Rhinos these days. Last time I jacked up the car and put the Rhinos under, LOL!

Old 05-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Speaking of ramps, don't you hate driving up on with a 6mt? I always get paranoid that I am going to go to far and drive off the ramp. Especially if you ever stall, the car leaves forward a few inches.

It always takes me at least 2-3 tries. Neighbor would look at me like "wth is he driving up and drown the ramp for"...

Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Speaking of ramps, don't you hate driving up on with a 6mt? I always get paranoid that I am going to go to far and drive off the ramp. Especially if you ever stall, the car leaves forward a few inches.

It always takes me at least 2-3 tries. Neighbor would look at me like "wth is he driving up and drown the ramp for"...
Well driving a manual up is a little harder but its no big deal compared to trying to drive a fwd car up them. I have seen people who tried to go up it, car started to roll back down and then they gave it gas to go back up. Well the car was fwd with an open front diff of course the ramp with the least traction on the ground shot out from underneath and wedged itself under the rocker as the front corner fell. Pretty hilarious when its not your car though.

However it is a lot easier with these heavy boards attached. The ramps dont want to slide, even for fwd, and the remaining incline is easy to climb even with a manual trans.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Nice tip, I was thinking about getting a set of these ramps but I wasn't sure how they'd fit the G35. Now I'll get them for sure!

Old 10-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah the ramps give you a lot of room to work once you can get planks on them and can get up them. Though lately I have been using the wood planks by themselves to gain the 3 and a half inches they give so I can fit a normal hydraulic jack under the front jack location. Most people do that anyway so its nice to have them for both purposes.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Was there a particular reason you made them that length? It seems like they could be shorter (and lighter and easier to drive up on).

Old 11-10-2010, 06:15 PM
no they dont have to be quite that long, its just easier to drive up onto when you have a large platform that you can stop on and check if you are still lined up. Then when you go to start back up the ramp and progress forward you dont have to worry about rolling down it (my driveway is slightly sloped, like most). If you want to look at it that way they also don't have to be that wide, you could just 2x4s. No need for the wood to be as wide as the tire, but once again the width just makes them easier to drive up on.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Nice job! That was always such a pain when I wanted to get my car off the ground. I would always have to jack each side on their own.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
subscribed... now i just gotta go find where my cousin put my rhino ramps... time to clean the hks muffler....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Low Profile Ramps - great for changing oil on lowered g's