Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Clutch job done right?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch job done right?

2005 G35 6MT 62k miles - stock engine

Purchased this car little over a year ago, 58k miles, lease return 1 owner. Picked up today, my repaired G35 with new clutch kit (exedy OEM) and refurbed stock fywheel. I also had them replace all the dot3 clutch fluid with synthetic dot4 (all up ~1k parts and labor). Before the repair, I had the tell-tale signs of a worn clutch - excessive slipping, even after complete engagement. I also experienced some of the clutch pedal sticking issuses that many G35 drivers complain about (especially after long periods of stop and go driving). Post repair - clutch feels much lighter and smoother, and the engagement point is much lower in the stroke (these I am assuming are signs of a good fix). However, on the drive home, I could feel the transmission endpoints thru the shifter. It never actually rejected a shift, but I felt a bit more resistance to shifting than even before the fix (although shift rejections rarely happened). Should I be concerned about this? One more thing, When I press in or let out the clutch pedal, I hear a squeaky sound (a lot like a spring being worked). This sound happens with and without the engine on. Is this just the pedal spring? I am taking it back to the shop tomorrow, already told them of the issues and they said to bring it in. They think they forgot to grease something. Any advice or comments about this repair would be much appreciated, I don't want to work over the repair shop if this is all normal stuff.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
What gearbox lube did they use?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Not sure on the lube, but I will ask tomorrow. Do you think that is contributing to the shift issues? Any particular lubes you recommend or that should be avoided ? (without getting too personal...)

Old 04-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Update - 25 miles logged
I am not concerned about shifter feeling anymore. I can feel the shifter engage each gear more than before, but I have not had any shift rejections. The moderate squeaking noise (when I press in and let out the clutch pedal) is now intermittent. It seems to go away after the car has heated up, and usually only happens when I pump the clutch several times in succession. Do you still think I should bring it in to have it re-examined? Thanks in advance

Old 04-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
The clutch squeak is something that comes and goes as far as i know. I had it for a day or two randomly and it went away and I've never heard it again. Should be fine.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Update after 2 days of driving:
Squeaking sound has all but disappeared. I only notice it now when the car is cool in the morning, but I believe it is on its way out. I told the repair shop I would bring it in at the end of the week if it was still bothersome. Obviously hoping I do not have to do that.
Thanks again

Old 04-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Squeaking is pretty common. Pivot fork or something like that; need to lube it, somewhere right out of the trans housing, but can't remember exact location. Mine squeaks depending on weather; been doing it for about 2 years now...

Old 04-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question for you, when your clutch going out the engagement point on first gear slow like you depress clutch and give gas a little and it finally engages?

Like if I was to race someone I would not count on first gear?

I hope I am making sense?

My car drives fine cluth I think is soft I have 05 with 97k on stock clutch

Old 04-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Truelegend, not sure I entirely understand your question.

If you have 97k on the original stock clutch, you have treated it very well.

When my clutch went out around 62k miles, the signs were obvious. I could barely use first gear. Even if I was completely engaged in first gear, if I punched it, the RPMs would shoot up without proportional acceleration. In other words, the engine would rev up, but the power to the wheels would not. That is a classic of a clutch slipping.

If you think your car drives fine, save your money.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Ic thx

Is your new clutch soft?

I drove my brothers 04 and it was hard and clunky feeling clutch he was at 44k miles.

I am at 97 and it's soft and non clunky. Did they Change in 05

Old 04-21-2012, 03:37 PM
wait a second....ive got 104k miles, and my clutch feels like its going....(im the 3rd owner so idk if the clutch was changed before...but lets say it was changed at the normal time\wear and tare time...so is 105k miles a good idea to change it again?
ive got an 05

Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by TunaG35
wait a second....ive got 104k miles, and my clutch feels like its going....(im the 3rd owner so idk if the clutch was changed before...but lets say it was changed at the normal time\wear and tare time...so is 105k miles a good idea to change it again?
ive got an 05
describe the feeling you are experiencing?