Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

car died and wont start again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could it possibly be the alternator that would do this its original 70,000kms

Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It could be the alternator. Did you check the belts and pulleys in the front of the engine bay to be sure nothing snapped?? (I'm sure you would have noticed this though). If the alternator isn't working and your battery voltage is just below where it needs to be its possible. Only way to test is to try to jump your car and see what happens. If you can jump it you just narrowed down your problem.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
tried that when i was pushin it home i dont think it was goin fast enough though but really dont wanna push again and belts are fine

Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I meant an electrical jump start from another car of yours or a friend, or even have AAA or someone jump it for you, not a push start . Good to know you have a 6MT though.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 PM
i tried the battery charger to it and starting it but no luck

Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 PM
can you smell fuel....i had a fuel pump go out before luckily it was the fuse. not sure if the g35 has a fuel pump fuse. this was on my eclipse.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:49 PM
not smelling any fuel

Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 PM
checked all the fuses to everything looked fine

Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 PM
okay is this is a coupe....if so then lift up the back seat turn the key to the acc position and listen for the fuel pump to kick on.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Fuel pump is a definite possibility. I know on 03 Coupes and Sedans there was an issue where the fuel pump hose wasn't correctly clamped to the pump causing it to disconnect and not give fuel to the engine. If you have a friend present, I believe you should be able to hear a slight whine coming from the rear-right wheel area when the key is in the ACC or ON position (whine is the fuel pump). Have you checked for any fluids underneath your car? Included the position where it stalled at?

Old 04-21-2010, 09:07 PM
no fluids leaking and im pretty sure i hear the pump gotta do a full check though

Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Theoretically the pump could still turn on and just not be pumping fuel. An unfortunate situation because it makes it difficult to diagnose, but I can't think of many things that would both 1) kill the car while it's running and 2) prevent it from starting up.

We can eliminate:
- Electrical: your car is trying to start, jumping it didn't help
- Starter: push starting it does nothing, starter is making noise and turning, plus the car died while running and the starter is useless while the car is running
- Spark Plugs: would cause a misfire unless 2 or more fouled at the same time (very unlikely)
- Sensors: usually the car will still start but it will stall out shortly after or throw a check engine light

Are you running an aftermarket filter or intake system? Either way, pull off your intake and check your MAF to see that a) it's still connected and b) not dirty. If you're running a K&N (or any other wet filter) it can cause your MAF to become very dirty which could theoretically stall the car or not allow it to start.

The only way to really eliminate the alternator is to try to jump from a running car. Battery chargers are only going to provide 12v as far as I know, a running car with a good alternator should provide approximately 13.1v+ and should allow you to start your car. Not sure if a battery charger helps a bad alternator, never tried.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:19 PM
i have a kn cold air kinetix plenum i can check the maf

but if the maf is messed it will stall the car and not allow it to start? because i think the maf was sitting really close to the a/c line and it looks like one of the wires is a bit damaged the coating but i turned the maf a bit so they wouldnt touch

Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 PM
but then again i also barely drive the car since i put the intake and everything on

Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 PM
If the MAF is essentially not pulling a reading it could cause the car to stall. The MAF with ANY aftermarket filter or intake sits close to the A/C line and can rub against it and cause damage to both the MAF harness and the A/C line. As long as the wire seems to still be in one piece you should be fine. But definitely check to see if it's still clean

Usually a bad MAF or throttle body would cause a rough idle before it got this severe, but it is possible that the MAF simply stopped working because of the harness wires being damaged or the MAF being too dirty.

Not a guaranteed solution, but still possible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: car died and wont start again?