Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Need help diagnosing problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Need help diagnosing problem

My car is finally starting to show its age with over 112k miles.

About 3 weeks ago, my car wouldn't start right away. I thought it was weird and it started fine the very next try. A few days go by and it happens again. Then the problem became persistant. Finally, my car starts misfiring like crazy.

I found one of the ignition coils were fried, so I replaced it and solved the misfiring issue...but I still can't figure out why the car has trouble starting. Now it's so bad that it took me 10 minutes until it finally started. The car is now sitting in the garage until I figure out the problem.

The problem:
I try to start the car and nothing happens. I can hear the fuel pump turn on. The battery is fine because all the accessory lights come on. When I try to start the car, there's no sound of clicking or the car trying to turn over...actually, there's no sound of anything. After so many tries, it will finally start without any hesitation.

Any ideas?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
you have a starting problem that may be due to a loose or corroded battery cable, a bad ignition switch, an open neutral safety switch, or a bad solenoid or starter.

Total silence usually means no juice is getting through to the starter. Are the battery cables loose, corroded or damaged? Be sure to check both ends of the cables, including the starter and ground connections.

If you don't find any obvious problems with the battery or its connections, voltage may not be passing through the ignition switch circuit to the starter solenoid. A voltmeter or 12 volt test light can help you see if voltage is reaching the solenoid when you turn the key.

If voltage isn't getting through, try jiggling the gear shift lever. Some vehicles may also have a safety switch on the clutch pedal that prevents the engine from starting unless the clutch pedal is depressed. Use your voltmeter or test light to isolate the component that needs to be replaced or adjusted. Sometimes the transmission or clutch linkage may need to be adjusted for the safety switch to work properly.

If voltage is getting through the ignition switch circuit, but the starter isn't doing anything, check the wiring connections on the solenoid and starter. Are they clean and tight? Try bypassing the solenoid. Refer to a shop manual for the proper terminals, then jump the one that routes voltage directly to the starter (usually B+ or BAT). If the starter spins, the problem is a bad solenoid (or poorly grounded solenoid). If nothing happens, the problem is a bad starter that needs to be replaced.

Hope that helps..

Old 06-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
BATTERY is my guess. Very likely. You can have accessories still come on but not have enough juice to turn the motor. Get the battery tested. IF the battery is in fact bad, then you are putting a lot of extra strain on your alternator right now as well.

That or starter motor is going out.