Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

overheating issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overheating issues

Hello everyone, so my car began overheating and leaking coolant just as I got to work. I topped off the coolant later that day and ran good for about a week and a half.

Then one day of just left my house and it began overheating again. With coolant dripping everywhere. Let it cool down and topped it off enough to make it back to the house.

From researching others overheating issues and so forth. I decided it was time to change the thermostat, cap and flush the radiator.

So i flushed the radiator, replaced, the coolant, refiled and attempted to burp it.

while trying to burp it without the cap on. The coolant would just overflow out. After a few minutes it seemed not to overflow as much i decided to cap it off.

after a minute or so i could see coolant leaking from the top portion of the radiator where the plastic meets the metal of the radiator right under the radiator cap plastic housing (I hope that makes sense).

Could it be a clogged/leaky radiator? Water pump? Fans seem to be working.

BTW i have a 2003 g35 sedan with 97k miles

Old 06-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Is the Water Pump making a ticking or whining noise? You got to listen closely.

Plastic/metal rads tend to crack at the joint, I would suggest getting full aluminum rad and you should change the hoses while you're at it.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by nogoodname007
Is the Water Pump making a ticking or whining noise? You got to listen closely.

Plastic/metal rads tend to crack at the joint, I would suggest getting full aluminum rad and you should change the hoses while you're at it.
I did hear a ticking noise but only before I changed the thermostat. I didn't really have to listen closely, but like I said it doesn't seem to be there now.

So should I definitely change my radiator and hoses

Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If the rad is leaking, it has to be changed. The reason why I said listen closely to the water pump is because I had a water pump die out on me. Luckly I caught it on time before there was a mess. I could here ticking sounds from the water pump pulley.

When filling up the rad, fill it up and leave the funnel in. Run the car and let the bubbles rise up and slowly fill the rad while letting the bubbles rise.

While the car is on, did you check to see if coolant is passing through the hoses. Feel out the hoses as weird as it sounds....haha

Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 AM
I'll try and check the water pump tomorrow. Any suggestions on where to get the radiator?

Thanks again for the help!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nogoodname007
If the rad is leaking, it has to be changed. The reason why I said listen closely to the water pump is because I had a water pump die out on me. Luckly I caught it on time before there was a mess. I could here ticking sounds from the water pump pulley.

When filling up the rad, fill it up and leave the funnel in. Run the car and let the bubbles rise up and slowly fill the rad while letting the bubbles rise.

While the car is on, did you check to see if coolant is passing through the hoses. Feel out the hoses as weird as it sounds....haha
Was this on the G that you had the water pump go out? I'm curious to what the ticking sounded like.

to the OP - With the car running and at normal operating temp hold the radiator hose on the DRIVERS side. It should be hot. If it is not, you have air trapped in the system still.

Do some research. The best method for me is to use the bleeder valve. I've tried several other ways. I've posted up many places but don't want to type it again.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 AM
I have this same problem with the car overheating for quite some time now. the car has been bled/burped about 2 times by the nissan dealer and I'll still taking the car back to the dealer on my next day off.
I can always tell when my car isn't doing too well when I turn up the a/c to 90 degrees and there isn't any hot air coming out, even after driving it for more than 20 minutes. At that point, it is only a matter of time before i see the temp. gauge on my car shoot up. I check the driver side radiator hose and it is warm compared the the passenger side which is hot. I will be taking the car back to the dealer for perhaps another system flush, but am not too optimistic about the results.
I was told that perhaps bleeding/burping the car while the car's radiator cap area was elevated may help.
At this point i'm open to any suggestions.

btw, i'm also driving a 03, 4door sedan with about 95k miles on it