Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Flywheel Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flywheel Grinding Noise

Hi all,

Just got an 03 G35 6SPD. I took it to the dealer to get a recall done on it and I told them about a problem. Every time I start the car and push the clutch down, the flywheel makes a grinding noise. I haven't driven the car too much but it usually does it for a bit and goes away after a certain amount of driving.

The car has an ACT Stage 2 Street Clutch/Lightweight Flywheel/Pressure Plate.

He said tons of people bring in there G35s for the same problem and theirs nothing that can be done. He said it's "normal". Is this true? I asked if anything can be swapped or changed to eliminate the noise or quiet it..he said' nothing. It's really annoying..I don't think I can deal with it every day...sounds like the car is ****ed up!

Am I being misinformed or is this true?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ddzc
Hi all,

Just got an 03 G35 6SPD. I took it to the dealer to get a recall done on it and I told them about a problem. Every time I start the car and push the clutch down, the flywheel makes a grinding noise. I haven't driven the car too much but it usually does it for a bit and goes away after a certain amount of driving.

He said tons of people bring in there G35s for the same problem and theirs nothing that can be done. He said it's "normal". Is this true? I asked if anything can be swapped or changed to eliminate the noise or quiet it..he said' nothing. It's really annoying..I don't think I can deal with it every day...sounds like the car is ****ed up!

Am I being misinformed or is this true?

Thanks
Mine doesn't necessarily sound like a grinding, but similar. Mainly when it's sitting in Nuetral or pulling off slowly you can hear it. I think it's the front shaft bearing making the noise. My tranny has 140k miles on it. When the clutch wares out I plan to replace the tranny with a lower mileage one.
I've been driving mine like that for over 15k miles right now. ....

Old 07-27-2010, 11:55 AM
hmm, ok, thanks for the response.

When I get the car back I'll take a video. I just read a crap load of threads on here...and many of the guys are saying it's because of the lightweight flywheel. Am I able to use the stock flywheel with a ACT Stage 2 Street Clutch? I also heard of throwout bearing problems so I can maybe change that at the same time.

I'm hoping this is the issue b/c it's going to cost me some cash to for labor and parts. I'll post the video later or tomorrow.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock flywheel and clutch is a little noisy but its not bad. I would assume a lighter flywheel would be louder. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

The stock flywheel will work with the ACT.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Hi all,

I had the dealer take another look and they told me to quiet the noise, it will need a new release bearing and pilot bushing. Also, the lightweight flywheel is contributing to the noise as well. I would rather have a quieter ride than a slight performance increase.

So I want to change the flywheel back to stock. I'm assuming if I buy a used one, I should get it machined? Are they expensive new? As for the bearing and bushing...can I use the OEM parts or do I have to buy the ACT parts? If the OEM parts fit...will it be quieter?

I'm basically looking for a combination of parts to quiet this down and keeping the stage 2 clutch in would be a bonus bc/c it was just put in and it feels nice.

P.S: I can't take a video of it yet b/c it's not registered yet...I can try though.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yes can someone shed light on this issue cuz i'm also interested in doing something like this. ddcz let me know how that is going

Old 08-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey guys,

So i've been driving the car on a daily basis now and here is what i've come up with. Theres two really annoying noises the car makes coming from the flywheel/clutch area.

The first one is the flywheel grinding noise. This issue only happens when the car is cold as soon as I start it. It usually happens like once or twice a week, not every day and when it does happen, it goes away after a couple of minutes of driving. It makes the noise when the clutch is pushed down/engaged...but when I disengage, it stops. I made a quick video...you can hear it best at the end of the video...the clicking is the clutch fully disengaged and when I engage the clutch you'll hear the grinding noise. Also, when it's grinding, it stinks like burnt clutch. Any ideas?

2nd Issue:

The second issue happens every day, all the time, every second of driving the car. It doesn't make the noise when I'm at neutral or when I punch the gas. It doesn't make the noise, say if i'm in a moderate RPM in any gear and let go of the gas and coast. It makes the noise mostly when I'm cruising in all gears with the gas down...so basically almost at all times I get to hear it. The noise (like someone explained on 6mt) is like rocks in a can. But he advised that it usually happens at idle, which isn't my case.

Does anyone have any idea about this one? This is basically the major problem b/c it's really annoying hearing it on a daily basis when I'm always driving and it feels like my car is falling apart...very annoying noise. I tried to take videos but it was hard to catch it because of the sounds on the street. This video was my best and the last 5-10 seconds is where you hear it the most.

Thanks!

Last edited by ddzc; 06-28-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Anyone ever hear these?