Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

spacer, cats and tune is that about it ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
spacer, cats and tune is that about it ?

So really guys these 3 are the main key mods anyone should look at when it comes to getting more HP, well aside from boosting and nitrous of course... looking for the MOST "bang for the buck" as most say it.

Or are there other mods to do. I'm looking for true without a doubt type of mods and not what people's dyno butt tells them. I know there are mods out there that are highly arguable that should in theory make a little power but they seem all like noise makers to me.

mods like, Z-tube, coupe mids, HKS mufflers, grounding wires, engine dampers all come to mind as dyno butt proven by thats as far as it goes. I dont know if the rev-up airbox falls into the noise maker or HP maker area right now.

headers and cams are some highly costly mods that yield more power but if i was going that route i rather go SC then headers and cams.

as of right now i'm with Z-tube, HR designed pipe, coupe mid, 5/16 copper spacer and i'm looking at HFC/TP (really said to read ART pipes might not work) right before i get a tune. Are there anymore HP power adders i can do, this is for a AWD sedan. I think after the HFC and tune i'll be done with the car and just drive, enjoy till its dead and save money for a real sports car.

maybe i've missed some mods but i think thats about it for us. since i'm a AWD auto, i think i have a 3.5 FD already.

Last edited by TurTLe*; 07-29-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
1.)Test pipe/ HFC
2.)Spacer
3.)Tune

yeah the other exhaust parts will probably help along with an intake when properly tuned. Your pretty much right on everything you said. After those mods its going to take you into changing internals/nitrous/FI.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 PM
yea i was hoping there was a little more i can do. Oh well.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Catback exhaust.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Whats a real sports car?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:21 PM
right now lotus elise/ c5 vette ... or i'm going old school.. got my names on a elise a while back and i just loved it, really was a go-cart.

researching this board there has only been like one HKS blown AWD that made 13's, i dont wanna spend the time and money that Ttrank spent on that TT sedan. The guys that do modd their AWD sedans end up selling them, the TT one and the STS rear mount turbo.

So only thing on my list is TP and tune and just do what the car was made for, enjoying the ride. all the other fun/toy mods i'll just stay away from.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow I just posted almost the exact question in the "What mods should I buy thread"
I'm in the same boat as you. Maybe someones got something were missing.

I actually am thinking bout giving the grounding wires a shot though, alot of people swear by that it drastically improves the shifts so maybe it's worth it.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
3.7 FD. Not sure if the transgo vb kit can apply to you... I'm kinda in the same boat as you, only these two mods left before going FI.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Transgo Shift Kit

RE5RO5A-HD2
http://www.transgo.com/rpg_nissan.php
4WD and RWD models

Machine the lower plenum to smooth out flashing and even air flow (like the MREV2) will help. Port/gasket match everything.

Coolant bypass (if you dont have it already).

Aftermarket intake options that lock out heatsoak will also help.

3.69 FD is not a likely option since you have the front differential as well and it wouldn't be cost effective.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 AM
a shift kit/ valve body is more of a pro-long the longevity of the trans type of deal then a performance mod.

You get faster shifts so less heat to the trans and etc but it doesn't make your car any faster then what it is. It SHOULD just make your trans last longer.

what coolant bypass are you talking about? I have the copper MD spacer so it has a TB coolant plate thing.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Obviously a shift kit won't give you actual WHP, but it does make you faster by getting rid of the lag between shifts.

He means the coolant control valve that comes with the iso-thermal kit. You can also get the aramid gasket, if you don't have it already.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
a shift kit/ valve body is more of a pro-long the longevity of the trans type of deal then a performance mod.

You get faster shifts so less heat to the trans and etc but it doesn't make your car any faster then what it is. It SHOULD just make your trans last longer.

what coolant bypass are you talking about? I have the copper MD spacer so it has a TB coolant plate thing.
I'll bet you the shift kit will take off .2 on the 1/4 if not more. Make you faster than your existing mods have so far. All WHILE extending the life of the trans.

Port/Gasket match your manifolds and blue print the lower plenum and you'll have much better airflow especially up top.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
mods like, Z-tube, coupe mids, HKS mufflers, grounding wires, engine dampers have been proven by the butt dyno? I beg to differ.

There is a lot of things to do but in your case there is none.

Last edited by Bestswat; 08-03-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Bestswat
mods like, Z-tube, coupe mids, HKS mufflers, grounding wires, engine dampers have been proven by the butt dyno? I beg to differ.

There is a lot of things to do but in your case there is none.
people often mistake a mod automatic means more HP as well as noise = more HP. the particular mods listed are more noise/looks then actual gains.

There are a lot of mods that i can do. i can do every NA mod in the book and pull in 300whp at the cost of say maybe $6000 after all said and done. or i can be at 285whp for about $1500. These numbers are COMPLETELY made up so dont chew me on it. But if that is the case i rather be at 285whp. a Z-tube might be good for 1 HP, HKS might be good for another HP, stillen somewhat claims the engine damper to be a gain but if you motor mounts are good then this doesn't do anything. people are paying for the name more then anything. ask motordyne why they didn't bother with a intake setup or any of the mods i've listed. They targeted the best bang for the buck mods and they like 3rd party dynos to back them up.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:41 PM
That is true. Half the things on this forum are exaggerated. None of those mods i mention did squat for me in terms of power.

Im presonally getting an agency power exhaust which is 3". SG long tube headers, 260-270 cams(not sure which one yet) and as for the intake you mentioned look up SG Carbotron Plenum and then a tune. Which is like $4000K after it is all said and done. Could have gone with FI and call it a day but i drive 21,000 miles a year and this is my only car. I much rather enjoy 300whp and know that it will last me.

Just depends on how extreme you want to go and what you wish to have, which differs for everyone. Or save up for a real sports car like you said.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: spacer, cats and tune is that about it ?