Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

spacer, cats and tune is that about it ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spacer, exhaust, suspension

Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Bestswat
That is true. Half the things on this forum are exaggerated. None of those mods i mention did squat for me in terms of power.

Im presonally getting an agency power exhaust which is 3". SG long tube headers, 260-270 cams(not sure which one yet) and as for the intake you mentioned look up SG Carbotron Plenum and then a tune. Which is like $4000K after it is all said and done. Could have gone with FI and call it a day but i drive 21,000 miles a year and this is my only car. I much rather enjoy 300whp and know that it will last me.

Just depends on how extreme you want to go and what you wish to have, which differs for everyone. Or save up for a real sports car like you said.

low boost is great and just as reliable. The super reliable stillen roots style will give you a nice 300AWHP and you should be running 13.5 or better. Just gotta cut up the hood a bit. It doesn't put stress on the trans as much at such little power.

$4000 is more then what i want to spend on mods. the labor for cams alone is about $1000. plus the $800-1000 part. Yea i'm done with the mods once i get HFC/test pipe and tune. Just need to figure out which HFC/test pipe to go with.

Originally Posted by nate704
spacer, exhaust, suspension
I got the spacer and by far the best suspension for the AWD out there today. Exhaust is annoying because not everything fits the AWD. I got the coupe mid on and i'm happy with the little noise it makes, i'll see how the HFC/ TP add to my noise.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat as you guys. Did the HFC's but no spacer for me because I'm V36. Is the mid pipe worth replacing too?

I put in a rear sway and it made a huge difference. What other suspension is worth the money on a daily driver?

Old 08-28-2010, 04:56 PM
sways and coils thats all. All springs will not be good because OEM struts aren't designed to handle increase of spring rate. It might work and not blow but its not a optimal setup. Its cheap to put $200 any spring on there and most likely it wont blow the struts but its not DESIGNED for it as coilovers are.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
people often mistake a mod automatic means more HP as well as noise = more HP. the particular mods listed are more noise/looks then actual gains.

There are a lot of mods that i can do. i can do every NA mod in the book and pull in 300whp at the cost of say maybe $6000 after all said and done. or i can be at 285whp for about $1500. These numbers are COMPLETELY made up so dont chew me on it. But if that is the case i rather be at 285whp. a Z-tube might be good for 1 HP, HKS might be good for another HP, stillen somewhat claims the engine damper to be a gain but if you motor mounts are good then this doesn't do anything. people are paying for the name more then anything. ask motordyne why they didn't bother with a intake setup or any of the mods i've listed. They targeted the best bang for the buck mods and they like 3rd party dynos to back them up.
Motordyne didnt target an intake system mostly because the market is saturated. If there were only 1 or 2 options out there I guarantee Tony would have fabricated something up. It just wasn't worth his time in the end. Stock intake is pretty good, all things considered, but there is still benefit from better flowing intake with a proper tune.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:05 PM
if you can define better flowing with a prope tune with a number and a design i might consider it before i get my tune.

i hate the fact people think noise= power.

I know a simple velocity stack will create a more concentrated flow of air as will as lower intake temps but looking at a lot of designs, i dont see them worth the money. The metal pipes for the AEM, yes draw cold car since its placed lower but with having a metal pipe, its easier and always hotter when traveling up to the throttle body, in a sense the 10degree lower temp for the CAI is now raised back up to nearly the same engine bay temp or close to it.

Please do enlighten me on your intake thoughts.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Motordyne didnt target an intake system mostly because the market is saturated. If there were only 1 or 2 options out there I guarantee Tony would have fabricated something up. It just wasn't worth his time in the end. Stock intake is pretty good, all things considered, but there is still benefit from better flowing intake with a proper tune.
This. I personally asked Tony if he would ever make an intake. He said he thought about it before, but he didn't want to make an intake like everything else out there and only make a slight increase in power. The intake setup he had in mind would involve cutting the maf wires and extending them to the front of the car, which almost no one would want to do. So he just didn't bother with it.