Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

G-tech Pro

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G-tech Pro

Have any of you used the G-Tech Pro? Is it very accurate? Useful? Worth the price?

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 04-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G-tech Pro

It is accurate within a few tenths, you cant directly compare it to 1/4 mile track timeslips but it is a good reference.

The G-tech will measure instantaneous trap speeds where drag strips measure the average mph over the last 60 feet, therefore G-tech trap speeds will be higher.

Just dont go bragging about your G-Tech times compared to somebody elses actual time slips.

If you want an idea about what your car runs then i would say to get one but if you can go to a drag strip, do that.

Dan O
Eaton Corporation

Old 04-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: G-tech Pro

I read on their site that it is very accurate, but not on 1/4 times of under 7 seconds, which rules out most of us. One of the guys here ran his G-Tech at a track and claimed that it read accurate to within a few 100ths of the posted time. Didn't see it myself though.
I just wondered if it's good enough to measure small HP gains of minor mods.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 04-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G-tech Pro accuracy

The general rule of thumb on the Gtech (and related devices) is that, while they might not be extremely accurate, they are very consistent. I personally couldn't care less about 1/4 mile times, but I do like to know things like 0-60, 60-0, horsepower, etc. For these types of items, the G-techs are very good at seeing what sort of gains (or losses) your mods have achieved.

Just do a few runs in your car (pre-modification) and write down your results. After you mod your car, do a few more runs and compare those results with your pre-mod results. Although the results you get might not be real-world results, the *differences* will be very reliable.

For example, if the G-tech says you went from 230 to 240 hp, you can be pretty sure that your mod did indeed give you 10 hp. However, the 230 and 240 hp numbers might not be totally accurate compared to some good dyno runs.

Another example would be 1/4 mile times. Do a few pre-mod runs, write down your results. Mod your car, then do a few more runs. Compare the results and see what your differences are. If the G-tech says you dropped .3 seconds off your 1/4 mile time, it's probably pretty accurate. The total times themselves might not be what you get at an actual drag strip, but the .3 difference will be.

But, all that being said, I've had surprising accurate results with my (non Pro) G-tech. As long as your are consistent with your tests, the G-tech will give you consistent results.