Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

HP increase: first step ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: HP increase: first step ?

Make sure you are not burning oxygenated [MTBE or ETHANOL] gasoline which contains 4.2-5.6% LESS BTU per volume, this will lower peak power by the same amount [give or take a percent]. At the same time reduce MPG.

One of the reasons you see variations across US on Dyno results........engine is power speced for fuel without oxygenates.
http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuel...enrgycon.shtml

Old 10-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha, nice post, but the only critique is that you can't have your Greddy EVO II exhaust and eat your JIC Y-pipe too! (Greddy comes with y-pipe/x-pipe)...

If I had it to do all over again, I don't think I would have changed anything - I like adding mods one at a time and am not interested in the one "big bang" mod and then being done with the car - this is my hobby and if I do everything at once, what is there next? I like starting small and working up, and that's what I've done:

Z-tube
Pro-1 Short Ram Intake to replace Z-tube
Helix Test Pipes
Custom Blue Grouding Kit
UR Crank Pulley
Kinetix Plenum
Greddy EVO II Exhaust
Kinetix Resonated Test Pipes to replace regular Test Pipes
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Pro-1 Headers
Pop-charger Heat Shield

Next (in order):
19" wheels with Toyo Tires
RS*R Springs for 350Z
Tokico D-Spec Shocks

These are just performance related mods btw - visual mods mixed in here/there with a Nismo Replica Front Bumper and a Data Systems spoiler next on the list to accompany the rather pedestrian splash guards and clear corners...

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT
Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Pro-1 Intake, Resonated Test Pipes, UR Pulley, CF Engine Cover, GReddy EVO II, Kinetix Plenum, Hotchkis Sways, Pro-1 Headers

Old 10-15-2004, 12:26 PM

oh, and lets not forget the Procharger or Turbonetics single turbo I have scheduled for next summer... all the mods I've been doing have kinda been a build-up for future F/I...

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT
Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Pro-1 Intake, Resonated Test Pipes, UR Pulley, CF Engine Cover, GReddy EVO II, Kinetix Plenum, Hotchkis Sways, Pro-1 Headers

Old 10-16-2004, 05:05 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

all the mods I've been doing have kinda been a build-up for future F/I...

<hr></blockquote> Except for the plenum (which will probably crack by then) [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] and possibly the headers (which will have to be removed if you go with the turbo)... Does this mean you are leaning toward a S/C or is too far away to know for sure?

Old 10-18-2004, 10:35 AM

i'm looking to get started with the Z-tube also. should i go z-tube with a pop charger, or just the stock box with the K&N drop in?

i was also looking at the injen CAI. any thoughts?

Steve

2004.5 6MT Coupe -- DG/G -- Aero -- Prem. Pkg. -- Navi -- 20% Tints
Aluminum Drilled Pedals -- Clear Corners -- Zaino -- PIAA Xtreme

Old 10-18-2004, 09:30 PM

Just got my G a few days ago and this my list of Must-Do mods that will be done right away:

-Z-tube
-K&N
-Clear Corners
-ClearBra
-Tint
-Aluminum pedals
-Zaino

These will give the car some nice appearance improvements, good exterior protection, and allow the engine to breathe better.

Specifically on the intake, just from looking at the stock setup I do not really see how you could go wrong with a Z-tube and K&N, it's cheap and offers about the same power gains as any other tube/filter combo assuming everything else is stock.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:31 PM

Oh no....that's me....Vortech installed 3 months ago...just installed a ground kit. I bought my G because it was perfect. Now 400hp later, it's still not perfect. We need a GA forum. G anonymous.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:57 AM

Make sure to do the clear bra IMMEDIATELY after you take ownership of the vehicle. I had 4 stone chips in the first 3 days of ownership. Fortunately the guy doing my clear bra was not only a master at applying the bra, he was a touch up paint master as well. Save yourself the hassle and get the bra installed at the dealership! You don't have to use the dealerships installer, just work things out in advance with them.

If you already have your car, stop driving it! One bad bug splat and you can etch your clear coat. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE...

Old 10-19-2004, 08:38 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I wish I did this. Too late now!

03 5AT Sedan, sunroof, splashguards, HKS muffler,
14 wire Grounding kit, Z Duct, Stillen HF/AB
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled alum pedals,
Stillen sway bars S/H. Sport Tuned Suspension

Old 10-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...what neffster said. I had the clear bra and window tint done at the dealer's shop before picking up the car. Glad I did.

'04 6MT coupe

Old 10-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member

Yeah, I should have bought the blue one, having the same color makes it too easy to see mine that fast j/k. Seeing yours makes me want to spend all sorts of money on go fast goodies...anybody have a turbocharged sedan...hmmmmmm

2004.5 G35 Sedan 6MT Garnet Fire/Graphite Leather
Premium / Bose / Sport / Aero / Sunroof / Tint / K&N

Old 10-19-2004, 10:44 AM

if you noticed, Neff, I said "Turbonetics Single Turbo" - if you read up in the my350z.com F/I forum, you will see that this setup utilizes the stock manifolds (or in my case, the aftermarket headers - turbo piping begins where stock cats attach to headers), but the problem with the single turbo setup is that you are unable to use a true-dual exhaust because of the new routing you have to take (since you will not have two exhaust outlets coming from the headers anymore)... anyways, if you want more information on the setup (there's videos there also) - find it on my350z.com (if it ever lets you get on the forums again)

and don't hate on the Kinetix plenum - I promise you I've put more hard miles on it than you have put on your Crawford and it has been superb so far - can you drive for over an hour, pop the hood, and put your hand squarely on the plenum? (without burning the **** out of yourself, of course) I DIDN'T THINK SO! There's a few guys with Z's that are running the Kinetix and F/I and none of them are reporting to have any problems... and btw, have you noticed you haven't seen any more "cracked Kinetix plenum" threads lately? You know why? B/c not ONE V.4 plenum has cracked since this new design/material has been implemented... I have always been a believer in the idea, and they finally provided us with a product that accomplished that idea successfully...

Ok I'm done ranting...

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT