Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

HP increase: first step ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HP increase: first step ?

I'm a total novice in terms of modifications, so I'm just wondering what would be the very first step in getting a few more HP. I hear people start with upgrading the air intake (filter). Another thing to mention is that I want to keep it quite inexpensive for now.

If you have any recommendations, please mention them clearly with no prior knowlegde assumptions !

Thanks

Old 10-13-2004, 01:46 AM
Devil's Advocate
Re: HP increase: first step ?

Get the Z tube. It's a great, cheap place to start.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-- Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-13-2004, 07:01 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Z tube. No doubt the first mod you should do. My first
was a K&N filter. Then I got the Z tube. Then I got the
Stillen High Flow Air Box, followed by the grounding wires,
followed by the HKS rear section exhaust, followed by the
Stillen sway bars, followed by the Sport Tuned Suspension
upgrade, followed by the clear corners.......where do I go now?

03 5AT Sedan, sunroof, splashguards, HKS muffler,
14 wire Grounding kit, Z Duct, Stillen HF/AB
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled alum pedals,
Stillen sway bars S/H. Sport Tuned Suspension

Old 10-13-2004, 10:28 AM

You need to be very very careful. You're dangerously close to becomming a mod-aholic. Sure, it seems innocent at first; a Z-tube with friends after work...maybe a K&N filter at a party. But, before you know it, the Z-tube just doesn't do it for you. "I used to do a little, but a little wouldn't do it, so a little got more and more," as Axl Rose once said. Now you find yourself moving onto the harder stuff. You start pricing out suspension components, you linger on the Stillen website, you search for the word "plenum" on google.com. Now you're in deep. You spend hours agonizing over whether to get springs and shocks, or a full coil over system. You create a spreadsheet delineating the estimated horsepower gains of headers, high-flow cats, and a cat-back exhaust system. Suddenly, what's left of your will power melts away and you max out all your credit cards on a wild cocktail of a Kinetix plenum, Random cats, a JIC y-pipe, and a GReddy EVO-II exhaust. Now, not only are you addicted, you're broke. You try to put yourself on a maintenance dose just to fend off the pain of withdrawl - you're strung out on headlight overlays, side blinker mods, and grounding kits. Eventually, you're just a shell of your former self: alienated from friends and family, body twisted from sitting in your car all day, blinded from searching for scratches in your paint, mumbling something about a super charger over and over. It's just sad...

At any rate, from one modaholic to an aspiring one, start with a Z-tube. Just don't say I didn't warn you.

-townsley-
03 Premium BS/Willow 5AT Sport Sedan
Z-tube/K&N Air Filter/5-wire Grounding Kit
Tinted/Clear Corners/Blinker Mod/Splash Guards

Old 10-13-2004, 10:33 AM

LOL...you guys are hilarious

Black 5AT Coupe, Navi, Falken Koblenz 19", HKS Legamax Exhaust, ZTube/Stillen, Grounding Kit, RSR Springs, Tokico DSpec Shocks

Old 10-13-2004, 10:35 AM

I have the Z-tube but i dont know if i should get a Pop Charger? Any ideas?? I dont know if i want the K&N Drop in. Any expierences?

Old 10-13-2004, 12:53 PM

LMAO Townsley!

That is exactly the way it goes!

I was onna stop with the Z tube to "keep it stock".

Now check out my sorry *** (see mods link)

Hahahahahahaha see you at the next GTG, or shall we call those events mod-recruiting seminars?

Jones'n for my next mod! - ted

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS - www.teamtransport.org/forums

Old 10-13-2004, 01:31 PM

Damn skippy modding is addictive!

My modding started out with the simple Z-Tube and the JWT P/C. I thought, "Hey, I'm in control of myself, I can handle this modding thing." Turns out that this was the “first step” that my mother had always warned me to stay away from. Next, I started listening to Eagle1 and reading his holy doctrine of modding and decided to buy the Random Technology H/F cats. Why not “balance the air flow” like he suggested. By doing this, I didn’t realize that I would be moving on to the "semi-heavy stuff" that would only increase my addiction. After weathering a short "dry spell" I ended up researching Plenums, "plastic or metal"? Keep the core or lose the core? Well at this point I figured who needs two cores and I ended up buying the Crawford Plenum and installing it myself. This was the "BIG HIT" off of the mod pipe! Looking back on things now, this was the point where I was totally hooked! I immediately went out and purchased pulleys. Fortunately for me, my family was praying for me. I went to mod-rehab before the pulley install, and the addiction went into recession. I then sent the pulleys back and thought I had beaten the " mod monster", but it was just a matter of time and the JIC Y-Pipe that I purchased 16+ weeks earlier showed up on my door step. Now what do I do? I know I’ll install it. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

By this point I was pretty much used to the "hard stuff" (plenum, cats and intake all working together) and the Y-Pipe was like drinking water (not much bang for the buck IMO), so I instantly thought... "How about blowing larger chunks of cash to regain that “mod high” that I have grown so fond of. Well from there I went on to suspension and wheels. Now I'm out over $5000 large (maybe more, I’m still in denial) and all I have to show for it is a nice car and a habit that seems to be worsening. I find myself losing sleep over the mods and also find myself spending WAY TOO much time on this site and several others. I can’t even imagine what might lie around the next corner…

If anyone mentions "FI", I think I'll have to shoot them. How can I put an end to this madness? No, don’t answer that! Well maybe… NO DON’T ANSWER!

Old 10-13-2004, 01:43 PM

Post of the week, Bill. I'm closer to step 1 now. LOL!

Old 10-13-2004, 03:01 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just like you Neff,

thinking FI .......NOOOOOOOOO!

03 5AT Sedan, sunroof, splashguards, HKS muffler,
14 wire Grounding kit, Z Duct, Stillen HF/AB
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled alum pedals,
Stillen sway bars S/H. Sport Tuned Suspension

Old 10-13-2004, 03:15 PM
G SQUAD

Neffster... 2 words: <font color=red>Forced Induction!!</font color=red> lol [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Funny... my current mod-addiction started off with the Z-tube as well. Somehow, that seems to manifest itself into something much more grand and expensive. EVERYONE thinks they have control of themselves when it comes to modding, then next thing you know... you're hanging around the forums, spend more time on sites to look for the "next big" mod you're gonna get... and then on to the lighter stuff cause you blew your wad on the "heavy" stuff... you go with clear corners, alum pedals, smoked lights, etc to get your "fix"... [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Anyhow... modding is fun, it personalizes your car to your taste, but at the same time, it's VERY VERY addicting. But back to the initial question of this thread... yea, get the Z-tube!! It'll start you off on the right foot... see you a M.A. (modding anonymous) a couple of months down the road! lol[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

6MT DG Coupe | Prem | NAV | Aero | XM | Z-tube | Clears | Aluminum Pedals | UT Y-Pipe | 40%Huper | Graphite RH J5 Pro 19"

Old 10-13-2004, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Betty Ford Foundation and the Hazelden Foundation have both added a Modder Wing to their main buildings. Apparently the demand for therapy has been that strong.

'04 6MT coupe

Old 10-13-2004, 06:10 PM

Hi, my name is klg35 and i'm a mod-aholic.......opps, wrong forum!!!

Yeah, z-tube, k&n panel filter, stock airbox mod, then the "should i go with 234/40 or 245/45" mind game.......l lost many a-nights of good sleep over these things...........

04 6mt Sedan / stock airbox mod / z-tube / k&n panel filter / crank pulley / 18" r/h c2s / s-tein springs

Old 10-15-2004, 02:35 AM

Thanks everybody for their answers. It looks like the Z tube and the K&N filter would be the things I should try. Can anybody tell me what HP increase would I get and is it noticeable ?

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:39 AM

I'd say you'll get about 7bhp best case. Is that noticable? Well let's put things into perspective...

If you have a 7bhp gain, that is equivalent to a 2.5% increase in power.

If you had $100 and you were given $2.50 would that be really noticable?
If you had 100 green peas on your dinner plate, and someone added 2.5 more would you be any more full if you ate all 102.5 peas?

The thing you will notice is your car will sound much meaner above 3500 rpms and you will experience a placebo effect. This placebo will make you *think* that you can feel the 2.5% gain, but in all actuality you probably can't. None the less, this breathing mod is cheap, sounds great, and works well with other breathing mods like cats, plenum, etc... Definitely a good way to begin your future addiction. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HP increase: first step ?