Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Hesitation in starting....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation in starting....

Hey guys,
I noticed the other day when i started my G, it would take a second or two to finally start up, like it would turn over one more time and then start.
Then yesterday it hesitated in starting a little bit longer. Then finally it just wouldnt start. Everything in the car had power, but i did notice the temperature guage in the car read 160 degrees, which clearly was wrong. I was able to go and get fresh battery and when i hooked it up, it started right up.
so i shut it off and put everything back together. when i go to start the car again, it starts right up and then begins to rough idle and die, so started it up again it would run for a second and then die, but if i tapped the gas a little bit to keep the revs up to get through that initial start then the car is fine and runs. So i decided to let the car run for about 30mins just maybe thinking the battery needs to be charged...even though it is a new battery. so afterwards its starts up fine. So now this morning, i drive to the commuter lot and i decide to try and crank it up again and it does it all over again where it starts then dies, but if i tap the gas a little to get the revs up through that intial start then its fine and runs until i turn it off and the try to crank it again. I have no CEL or battery light. Some have suggested that it could be the MAF.

The only thing I can think of is it might be the alternator and its not giving the battery a charge. What do you guys think? How much are alternators these days? is it something i can replace myself?