Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Grinding while shifting from 2nd to 3rd....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry guys...Tech guy was gone by the time I got to the dealership, left me hanging. I had to set an appointment for this Saturday with the service consultant. 'til then......

Old 10-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And???

Old 10-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Hey guys....sorry for the late response...had to wait to get in to work....So I took the tech for a little stroll on saturday. Luckily he was able to hear the grind I was speaking of. He also noticed, while at a red light, as he tried putting the car into 3rd gear with out using the clutch the car would also grind....if you try doing that to any other gear on the car it wont go anywhere because you arent pressing the clutch.

Tech did mention that the synchros seem to be the problem and they would have to take out the tranny and see what it really is. He had me set an appointment for today at 5pm and I will be dropping off the car.

I personally never tried putting the car into gear without pressing the clutch while at a complete stop. The gear should never make contact with the synchros or the transmission, none the less grind because it should not make contact.....My car on the other had did, and that was a problem as the tech mentioned.

Any one else noticed that on their car?? I will keep you guys informed as to what happens...

Old 10-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird, I'll try it on my car I guess and see what it does.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Ya weird, but i don't want to try it. Don't want to make anything worse. Santis G, why don't you inform the tech about this issue being common. You never know, maybe there's a way to make some kind of recall. If we need a lot to complain, we could probably get those on the forum with this issue to call as well. I just think it's unfair, it is obviously not our fault, so they should consider at least making some kind of deal for replacing the transmissions.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 PM
I agree with that Laser. I will bring it to their attention. I haven't been able to drop my car off this week. When Monday afternoon came along, I wasn't able to drop the car off...no lenders were available. I get off work early on Friday, so I'll definitely try to and drop it off then. I will mention this issue to the tech and see what can be done about this issue.

I've haven't had my G that long and service on her has always been done at the Infiniti dealership, so it surely wasn't my fault...it was none of our faults.

Hopefully we can get some form of petition going on and we can all do something about this.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Alright so its been quite sometime since I've posted anything on this thread. The guys at Infiniti didn't help much with my issue with the tranny. I've since done one Transmission fluid flush and change and the tranny has gotten worse. I am almost certain the synchro was the issue. It is almost impossible to shift into 3rd gear after say 20 mph... It will most certainly grind really bad when attempting, to the point where i dont even try. While on the freeway, I can't down shift to 3rd any longer. On soft pulls I can shift into 3rd but I have to wait for the rpm's to get down to about 2000 and it will go in smoothly. I'm to the point where I'm not sure if I should take it to a shop to get the synchros replaced or try and buy a newer 6mt. Not sure if the newer trannys are the CD009 codes that I keep seeing come up on other threads... Has anyone else experienced this issue? or their tranny got worse since the last post on here?

Old 03-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Santis_G
Alright so its been quite sometime since I've posted anything on this thread. The guys at Infiniti didn't help much with my issue with the tranny. I've since done one Transmission fluid flush and change and the tranny has gotten worse. I am almost certain the synchro was the issue. It is almost impossible to shift into 3rd gear after say 20 mph... It will most certainly grind really bad when attempting, to the point where i dont even try. While on the freeway, I can't down shift to 3rd any longer. On soft pulls I can shift into 3rd but I have to wait for the rpm's to get down to about 2000 and it will go in smoothly. I'm to the point where I'm not sure if I should take it to a shop to get the synchros replaced or try and buy a newer 6mt. Not sure if the newer trannys are the CD009 codes that I keep seeing come up on other threads... Has anyone else experienced this issue? or their tranny got worse since the last post on here?
Honestly, I've had this problem since about 125,000 mi and im now at 177,000 mi.
I changed my tranny oil to Redline once and never since. It isn't as bad as your's Santis but it will happen every now and then. I've realized that if you dont warm the car up, this problem will get worse. Whenever I warm up my car, I usually dont grind, but If I leave in a hurry w/o warming up, I usually grind. The grinding will happen no matter what (eventually) but its how often that you need to watch out for. Giving the oil time to move around and warm up helps prevent this issue from getting worse. I grind usually ONCE in a driving cycle going from 2nd to 3rd and from 4th to 5th. Once again its not bad enough where I cant shift to those gears at all.
Santi's- Find out how much it is to rebuild tranny, I think its around 1100-1200. I personally would look into a used tranny from the 06 and up models and try buying one with a warranty. They go for around 700. If you cant find a deal with a warranty, then rebuild b/c that will be warrantied and will def fix the issue.

The following users liked this post:
Santis_G (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 02:40 AM
Thanks Laser, I will def be on the look out for an 06+ tranny. I want to rebuild but if I can find one for less, then I'll def go for it. I appreciate you feedback!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
There is no Vendor Classified info for Tranny or Drivetrain, but here is some info.

Brand New OEM Latest Revision Transmissions @ Z1

These Transmissions are in stock and on sale for
$1,695.00

Additional info and shipping information can be found HERE.
[/B][/SIZE]

Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Just to add if u guys r using synthetic trans fluid try conventional. Ive heard synthetic being too slippery for synchros. Then Ive also heard amsoil helping out good with synchros. So try between the two which is better.