Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

VDC off...all the way off???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: VDC off...all the way off???

I just posted some of this to the Top Sedans and Coupes Thread but for fruition's sake to this thread.

1. DaveO is awesome...he emailed me that pic above to take any worry out of taking the fuse out.
2. Your ABS still work without the fuse and so do your rear brake lights vs. the My350Z.com way of doing it (I have that toggle switch installed too), but it's reduced as mentioned in this thread.
3. Your lights go out once you put the fuse back in and start driving...same thing as when you Dyno your car.
4. I have Drag Radials so I can afford to rev higher on take off.
5. You won't bog if you hold the car at idle and hit the gas, but you won't have the engine in any kind of power rpm range...hence my quest for a higher launch and this thread.
6. You will bog if you launch above 2350 and brake torque...this kills your 60' times...and as a result, your whole run.
7. Even with Drag Radials I was spinning through my 1-2 upshift, 2-3 upshift...which is insane in an automatic...people were asking me wtf was up with my car...it was nuts...and this is b/c of no LSD in the auto sedans...even with out the VDC Fuse in...the inside driver's rear tire spins more violently and now that NITTO 555R looks like I lit it on fire...and my traction off the line was gonzo.
8. 14.00 at 101.7 was the best this car would do with no gas, all interior gutted and drag radials in 47 F weather. It comes down to the Torque Converter sucking off the line...but that gives us excellent driving the other 99.9% of the time so I can't be pissed. ;-)

Conclusion...For less than $2k you can take a family sedan with 4 doors and an autotragic tranny run as fast as a 93 F Body, a mid 90's Corvette, faster than 99% of all 87-2003 Mustang GT's, etc...you get the point. OH, and even when I get beat by the SVT Lightning running 12.9...he's only 3 cars in front of me...;-)

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.00 @ 100.56 10-06-04
13.74 @ 104.86 GTECH Comp Pro
Grounding * Stillen Air Box * K&N CAI * UR UD CP
Mid Pipe * CrawfordV5.0 * TS * 350Z 170F Stat

Old 10-28-2004, 12:35 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA Good stuff man, thanks for all of the info!! I will be trying different techniques witht he fuse out before i go to the track, your info will help me out alot. And spinning on 1-2, 2-3 shift, WOW i cant wait =)

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

Old 10-28-2004, 09:39 AM

Martin, believe me when I tell you this, spinning at all at the track is nothing but bad news...you never want to spin...unless you are doing a burnout b/f your race. Every rotation your tire makes that is up in smoke is valuable 10ths you are pissing away when you hit the timing lights down the 1320. You want to do nothing but hook right up and be thrown back in your seat.

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.00 @ 100.56 10-06-04
13.74 @ 104.86 GTECH Comp Pro
Grounding * Stillen Air Box * K&N CAI * UR UD CP
Mid Pipe * CrawfordV5.0 * TS * 350Z 170F Stat

Old 10-28-2004, 01:10 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Bossmannn, nooo!! I know that lol, im not stupid, i was joking, sorry for my sarcasm and i said thats cool if im in a parking lot trying to have some fun, but def. not for the track!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package

Old 11-21-2004, 10:11 PM

Which fuse is it? I thought it was the fuse that controlled the abs which ends up killing the brake lights. If there is another one please let me know cause this would help my times.

Best ET: 14.730 @ 96.14mph(stock)
2003 Black 5AT sedan

Old 11-21-2004, 11:19 PM
WRAH

That's just Contra, super contra which SUCKED came later btw.....

Old 11-22-2004, 01:12 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Yo DudeG4, this might be a stupid ? but when u said it will disable "Brake LSD", does that mean that both tires will now spin? Or our LSD still wont let you do it in an auto G.. Driving with it off for that long is sick lol, i alwasy drive with VDC off and hardly ever on, except one time i almost killed myself in the snow, i took it out like 1 day out of the whole winter because my tires were pretty much bald and i couldnt go ANYWHERE, anyway street were clear and everything, i was at a friends house and to my surprise 1-2 hours later it was liek a full snow storm, worst decision ever! I did a full 360, downshifting with VDC off coming down a hill in manual mode, it locked up the rear tires, wow what an experience and sorry to get off track, but its just too dangerous here to pull it out completely for yearly driving, for the track though i might do it. Can you take a pic of whihc fuse it is, thanks. Martin =)

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package

Old 11-22-2004, 01:39 AM

No, it's the RED 50A fuse in the battery compartment. It is NOT the Brake LIght fuse in the fuse box on the inside of the car. Both do the trick, one leaves you with working brake lights.

Yes, both tires should now spin. The brakes wont be engaging to prevent slippage and the ACTIVE abs in your car will no longer work.

One you pull the fuse you should see the following lit in your dash:
VDC OFF
SLIP
ABS

CLint, I tried holding down the button. The VDC light goes off. DOes that mean the system is on or off, or that the BUTTON is no operable at the moment?

J

My Team Transport Profile

Old 11-22-2004, 02:27 AM
G Kreuzer

I haven't had a chance to verify in actual practice (trying to induce wheel spin), but if it's consistant with standard engineering fail-safe practice ... it simply means the VDC remains ON and the button is rendered useless (as in VDC can't be turned off).

The idea is to insure driver/passenger safety if indeed the button was stuck or some how shorted out.

Clint (THX723)

Old 11-22-2004, 11:43 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Ahhh G4, i thought that with a LSD that would only let you be able to spin both tires in the car, i had no idea it was all electronically controlled by the VDC, wow!! But there is no ABS? Only downside, that sucks :/

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package

Old 11-22-2004, 12:55 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Man lol, i was out there trying to find the fuse and i had no idea where it was!! Can i get a little help here, any pic's =)))))))

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package

Old 11-22-2004, 01:05 PM

"Yes, both tires should now spin. The brakes wont be engaging to prevent slippage and the ACTIVE abs in your car will no longer work. "

Active abs disabled:
Does this mean abs will not work in concert with the VDC to control slipping/spinning-ie when cornering BUT abs will still work when I hit the brakes to avoid some A-hole that cut me off?

Thanks,

g4ian

371250-G35 MINI.jpg

Old 12-03-2004, 03:22 AM
There is a thread in MY350Z http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...threadid=85956

Here is a qoute from there

"Disconecting the Bosch Yaw sensor under the center console (below e-brake) will disable bothe VDC/EBD without disabling the ABS! "

Here is how for 350Z and G35 coupe

"1. Remove key from ignition

There are 5 screws to remove on the Z (only 4 on the G35C)

2. First two screws are on either side of console towards the rear, it helps to slide both seats all the way forward, and tilted to access these.

3. Next screw is under the ash tray (lift up) (the G35C does not have this one)

4. Next you will need to pull up gently on the shifter boot plastic cover... I do this by sticking my hand in the leather boot and pulling up until it clicks in a few places. (You do not need to remove the shift ****)

5. You should now see the last two screws below holding the center console in place. (Be carefull not to tear the electric ribbon for the heater controls on the Z and there is one electrical plug to unplug on the G35C if you have heated seats).

6. With the center console lifted up over your e-brake handle (pull the brake up high to make it easier to remove the center console) you will see there are two sensors: The one towards the rear is for the airbag (DO NOT DISCONNECT THIS ONE) The one towards the front (directly behind the shifter) is a black sensor with BOSCH sticker. This is the one you should un-plug. The clips for the plug are on either side of the connector. Secure the loose connector to avoid future rattles.

7. Replace center console reverse of removal.

Enjoy the much improved throttle and brake response of your car! "

I belive the sedan should be similar to the coupe, but have not tried it.

Old 12-03-2004, 05:14 AM
Question

Originally Posted by Catatafish
When I turn off my VDC with the switch, I can do donuts all day long in a wet parking lot. My rev limiter is still operational however...which isn't controlled by the VDC. The fact that I can do endless donuts tells me that when I flick the switch, VDC is completely disabled.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats
Does this mean that the revs wont go higher to the red zone?

Never tried this on mine. I drive it fast, but take care of it as much as I can.

Old 12-03-2004, 05:13 PM
from the service manual...YAW Control sensor

I found these images in the service manual for those who might be interested in disconnecting the YAW control:

if the pics dont appear check out the attachments

Attached Thumbnails VDC off...all the way off???-elec.gif   VDC off...all the way off???-elec2.gif  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VDC off...all the way off???