Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Weak coil or possible misfire...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Weak coil or possible misfire...

I searched around a little bit and didn't see much on what i am trying to figure out. The car hasn't thrown any codes, but i can tell something is slightly wrong. When the car is on rather it is at idle or acceleration there is a sound coming from the engine bay that sounds like the valves opening and closing or a unlubricated chain turning. I replaced the spark plugs today and i think it was the plug from cylinder 2 that looked way worse than the rest of the plugs. After replacing all the plugs the sound was gone...sounded like a normal stock motor. I went for a drive and everything was fine and then i got on it going from 3rd to 4th. When i got back home the sound was back.

After listening to the noise thinking that it might be the plug the noise almost sounds like...when something gets shocked from an electrical outlet it makes that "pop" noise, sounds like that, but rapid fire.

Does anyone think that the coil might need to be replaced or it isn't getting enough power to the spark plug?

Old 10-17-2010, 11:55 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
not sure whats going on..but if you need a coil replacement let me know. I have some available. would let go for 50 shipped to you...brand new from infiniti are 130.00 I believe.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks, I will keep that in mind! I'd like to test a coil to see if it is actually my problem.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you done any testing yet to see if it is your coil?

On cylinder #2 spark plug can you explain more by being the plug was way worse? Meaning what color was is, was there any damage/melting etc....

Have you had any modifications be done on the engine/intake/exhaust/electrical system?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by 88G35
Have you done any testing yet to see if it is your coil?

On cylinder #2 spark plug can you explain more by being the plug was way worse? Meaning what color was is, was there any damage/melting etc....

Have you had any modifications be done on the engine/intake/exhaust/electrical system?
The #2 spark plug was just really black and seemed to have a lot of extra build up on it (carbon?). The plug wasn't damaged...it was definitely blacker than the others though. I haven't done and testing on it...i work at a nissan dealership and the techs hooked it up to the consultant and it hasn't thrown any codes. They said that if the coil wasn't working properly that a code would have thrown for sure. The car is completely stock.

I was planning on waiting a couple weeks and then taking it out to see what it looked like. I really seem to think it is something to do with the valves...but idk what it could be. It was just funny that when i changed the plugs i didn't hear the noise, but now i do again. Maybe i wasn't listening at the moment...everyone says it sounds like something with the valves though.