Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

How-To: 300Whp NA in my UpRev 06 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I pretty much agree with what Tony is saying regarding FI and NA applications. It bugs me when tuners claim that the VQ35 can reliably handle boost and that wrecked VQ35s with FI were because of poor tuning. That might be true in many cases, but the reality is the VQ35 is made to rev; therefore, it has lightweight higher compression pistons, light rods, and thin rings. Motors that make NA HP are designed to rev quickly and rev high to gain the most HP for it's design. FI motors are much stouter in design and tend to rev lower. There are very few NA motors that happily live with FI. I will say the VQ30 found in the Maxima is FAR stouter than the VQ35. The shorter rods and better rims allow to handle FI much better than the VQ35. There are lots of completely stock FI VQ30 Maxima's running around pushing 350-400whp.....on the stock injectors. That motor is jewel. I'm suprised no one has done VQ30 block swap so avoid the huge expense and questionable reliability of a built VQ35+.

To get 300whp on a Dynojet with the VQ35DE/Revup is going to take some major coin. To get to 260whp is pretty easy. After that, it gets really expensive.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great info guys, I always thought FI on our engines sounded like trouble in the making but everyone just likes to throw around the "why do bolt-ons, just go FI" without thinking of what can possibly happen...

Also, sorry for the mistake in the Title, I meant RevUp engine, don't know why I was thinking UpRev...

Old 11-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My question is after reading the FI thread "85% that ish is long" is it REALLY as risky as they say running FI with an automatic and who can vouch for that. IM NOT LOOKING FOR SUPER FAST but i do want my car to preform better. She picks up slow and its like i step on the gas 3 seconds later she moves....I really just want a more responsive car!
Can anyone point me in a good direction PS im a college student, living on my own, and only have a 1 sad paying job basically im on a budget and wouldnt mind purchasing used parts if it isnt a wear and tear thing.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
^^ Canadian has been TT/auto for a while, until recently since he's doing an AT/MT swap.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Dyno at Church Automotive Testing in Socal.
love it

OP, go to my350z, and do some resarch, youll see many guys with over 300 whp.

Originally Posted by Jackus
Has anyone done a dyno on gains from stroking it out or going for more bore?
once again go to my350z, there is a g with a g here in the bay named gabe with a stroker making 330 ish whp.

or check my thread i made 281 on a conservative dyno and with CATS, if i went with a SG long tube id probably be there at 300 whp

or get dynoed at church.

hate to break the news to you my friend but you are far away from making power u cant even spell our revup engines correct.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by World Famous Z
Most people who want at least 300WHP end up going FI since it ends up being cheaper.

Problem is that (from all experience that I've seen) the VQ35 is an NA motor, it wants to be pushed NA.

Going FI creates lots of issues. I do not know of ANYONE (including myself) that has gone FI with even a very conservative kit such as stillen SC, and not have issues. Everything from belt squeal and tensioner issues to popped motors and poor tunes etc...
I do not trust the VQ being FI, regardless of how it's built or who built it. Lots of companies build these motors, and there is a track record of getting good solid numbers out of it. But even with all the internals and good tune etc I've seen VERY VERY few that have lasted over the years under normal conditions. (show cars that drive all of 200 miles a year don't count, nor does a dyno queen that dynos once and sits in a garage looking pretty). I'm talking about real world driven FI VQ motors. Now, I know people have done FI and drive the car with no issues, but the vast majority of us FI guys have run into issues some silly just annoying as all hell and other major and detrimental. I'm a big fan for NA on this car, it's a much more fun car to drive because you can push it without having to fear the reaper. this is just my personal opinion, sorry for threadjacking for a moment.
Very good post. 4 stars.

This should be stickied underneath the subtitle of this section.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by GOAT35
My question is after reading the FI thread "85% that ish is long" is it REALLY as risky as they say running FI with an automatic and who can vouch for that. IM NOT LOOKING FOR SUPER FAST but i do want my car to preform better. She picks up slow and its like i step on the gas 3 seconds later she moves....I really just want a more responsive car!
Can anyone point me in a good direction PS im a college student, living on my own, and only have a 1 sad paying job basically im on a budget and wouldnt mind purchasing used parts if it isnt a wear and tear thing.
What year and tranny G?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by boostedforlife
love it

OP, go to my350z, and do some resarch, youll see many guys with over 300 whp.

once again go to my350z, there is a g with a g here in the bay named gabe with a stroker making 330 ish whp.

or check my thread i made 281 on a conservative dyno and with CATS, if i went with a SG long tube id probably be there at 300 whp

or get dynoed at church.

hate to break the news to you my friend but you are far away from making power u cant even spell our revup engines correct.

You brought nothing new to this thread, so please dont comment anymore...referring someone on this G Driver site with thousands of owners to another forum is just dumb and pointless

And hate to break it to you, but i really dont give two shts about what you say, your comments are very childish, so again keep your useless comments to yourself

Back on Topic

Whats the highest dyno someone's got on here with full bolt-ons on a revup (but nothing crazy like engine work or anything)

Old 11-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I don't think people that ask these kinds of questions really know what they are asking. OP, do you still want your low end? Or are you willing to give up the low end to read 300hp on the dyno? If you make intake/exhaust ports big enough, make sure the intake/exhaust/cams can support the airflow, sure you can get to 300rwhp. As long as you can rev the motor high enough.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Premier Member

Received 422 Likes on 340 Posts
Originally Posted by KingCobra
.referring someone on this G Driver site with thousands of owners to another forum is just dumb and pointless
There's actually a lot more performance related information on the 350 forum, thats where most of us guys making real power hang out

Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 PM
just forget making power with a VQ altogether, get some nice wheels, stretch some tires, stance yo sh*t, then drive below the speed limit from fear of potholes, basking in the glory that your g looks like the secks

Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres my build when complete it should be over 300hp but thats on churches dyno. I'll have to get in a roller set up to see what numbers i get there.But in all its a great motor and couldnt be more happy that i went NA over FI.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...tor-build.html

Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by KingCobra

You brought nothing new to this thread, so please dont comment anymore...referring someone on this G Driver site with thousands of owners to another forum is just dumb and pointless

And hate to break it to you, but i really dont give two shts about what you say, your comments are very childish, so again keep your useless comments to yourself

Back on Topic

Whats the highest dyno someone's got on here with full bolt-ons on a revup (but nothing crazy like engine work or anything)
I dont see how referring to my350z is a stupid idea, thats the brother or sister of this forum. There are many guys that did na stuff there and if you wants to learn you can go there. There are a lot more people modding for performance on that site than here, so it would make perfect sense for him to get the information he needs at a place where the information is plentiful.

the last time I checked if he needed to search and find threads on it, the search from driver doesn't search threads on my350z......

Last edited by boostedforlife; 11-12-2010 at 01:26 AM.