Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

turbonetics tune? what to do!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just went for a short drive to get some milk and as i pulled out of the garage, i found a clear oily lube looked like new brake fluid or something. very strange. along with it was a small dot of engine oil. I checked all the levels of every oil inlcuding engine oil. brake fluid, power stearing fluid and coolant. all where ok but the engine oil seemed a little high. maybe thats why it smokes? here is the pic i took.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...nnad/photo.png

what can it be. kinda looks like a tinge of red in it like tranny fluid. y would that be leaking..

Last edited by DanielsG; 01-10-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
do you have a wide band on your car? if so what is it saying at 5k when it wont rev?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM
no wide band. yet. as for the MAF tuning, tuner said he has a MAP clamp or somehting that reads volts to the map. and its like tuning from the map. that doesnt make sense to me. what should i do? get the map anyway and retune?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 PM
well i am not trying to be a knowitall or anything but you NEED to get a wideband and boost gauge whenever you boost your car i have had tons of times where things went wrong and those have helped me just straight to the problem. i dont know what your running for boost but from the sock MAF sensor (all sensors only go to 5 volts btw) you should be able to hit 12 psi without maxing it out my buddie did on his greddy kit and was fine. after 12 you need to upgrade the MAF or switch to a MAP sensor. if your above 12 then i would say its maxed but i didnt see anything about a motor build in the first post so i am guessing your running less than 12 in which case i would say that it sounds like your tune is a mile off. it sounds like your car is richening out at 5k really badly which will make there be too much fuel and inside the engine the fuel won't really burn that well and most of it will come out the pipes as black smoke and the car will stop making power and wont rev. i had the exact same problem when i first put my charger on and if u have a wideband you could see this in 2 seconds. in either case an even halfway decent tuner would have diagnosed either one of those problems and fixed it so i think he sounds like a clown in either case you should find a new one.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielsG
no wide band. yet. as for the MAF tuning, tuner said he has a MAP clamp or somehting that reads volts to the map. and its like tuning from the map. that doesnt make sense to me. what should i do? get the map anyway and retune?
He is likely tricking the MAF so it sees less voltage. Get rid of emanage most people with boost on this platform had issues with the emanage oh and find another tuner if he recommends emanage he is about a minimum of 5 years behind the industry emanages are archaic. if you can find an Up-rev tuner I would go with that if I were you.

Looks like a few in south Florida.

http://uprev.com/dealers.php

Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 PM
i know what your saying. but the issue isnt black smoke and the other thing is that the wide band he had on the car says its 11.5 which i think is good. the smoke is blueish white. which leads me to believe that the turbo is bad... and thats why i think it smokes when i let off the gas- the engine is fine and running strong. it feels like it wants to go at low rpms then, when i give it more it kinda just jumbles up and feels a bit restricted at mid and top rpm. the boost is also fine at a steady 7 lbs. So i think the Turbo is bad. the tuner is good, hes one of the best around-luigi at Olympic motorsports. he knows his stuff and has dones several g,s and z,s with similar setups and also TT builds ETC...what do you guys think about the above. BTW, i know i need wide band, boost, ETC, just havent found good ones yet and am a little tight right now with all the extra money i had to spend making this thing work

Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by g-adabout
If you research the turbonectics kit, you will find that several people also had the turbo itself fail. I did three times and that is why I have a garrett turbo in its place now

Good luck!

Turbonetics is known to have issues with turbos so I would do the same as g-adabout and replace it with a Garrett

Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 AM
So you think it's the turbo from What I described? Maybe PVC valve? I know the motor is fine so it can't be that. To add injury to unsult, my power stating just went. One of the hard lines was burned through from the y-pipe. I'll have to figure a way to re-route the line with a soft line. Away from exhaust.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
The Turbonectics turbo I had rebuilt 3 times before I had enough and bought the garrett. You will be able to tell when you pull the turbo and look into the down pipe. Mine was caked with oil and then the turbo itself was caked with oil inside the fans.

First things first.

Get gauges to see what your computer is doing. Your tuner may be good but if he cant figure this out, I would get a second opinion elsewhere. As others have said, this could eliminate alot real quick. For instance, when I was loosing boost pressure and unable to build pressure, it was obvious by my gauge and it turned out a clamp had come loose and piping had seperated. Easy fix. I have an a/f gauge, boost pressure, water temperature and oil pressure gauges.

Get this checked out as soon as you can as you dont want to ruin your motor.

good luck again!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 PM
so i brought it to them again today.. waited 4 hours for them to show up. not happy. but im a nice guy and didnt really give it to them like i was telling my self i would we checked the pvc valve and it was good. so the only thing it can be is......
the piece of crap turbo!!!!!!!!! yes thats what it is! the turbo is bad... but i still dont understand why it ran bad... non turbo related... meaning while in nuetral and reving it stops at 5k and pushes through it if i floor it as if its being restricted or a lean spot. im so disappointed. and am clueless as to what to do. becasue i really dont know why its not reving right or running right besides the turbo of course. is it the emanage? is it the tune? no clue. honestly i think im going to bring it some where else and use the uprev tune. in the meen time, i will drive the car like a baby and look for a new tuner.... the saga continues. anyone know where i can buy a gt35 turbo...

Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 PM
question. would the turbo blowing oil cause the poor performance i have been experiencing? or is it just the tune? i am trying to find an uprev tuner somewhere.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 PM
check your MAF sensor if that has oil all over it that could be the problem

Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 PM
so ill have to replace the map sensor or can i clean it?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:50 AM
MAF not MAP. the MAF is the black plastic tube just outside of you throttle body and if it has oil in it then it can cause a problem and cleaning it will help. it still sounds like your tune though. have you ever had it running right with the turbo on there?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:36 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
If your turbo is bad then the tune will suck and will need to be redone after turbo is replaced.