Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

the_coupe's NA engine build thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
At least u are having better luck than Dan.. lol

Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
lol what is he cryin about now??

Old 03-23-2011, 08:31 PM
**crickets**

well, turns out i still waited LONGER than i wanted either shop i took it too. dude said he was ready for me last monday, so i rented the tq plate from forged on friday.....got it monday, and gave him everything to do the job. he said mid week he'd get it done. he started on it thursday, then on friday some of his honing stones were breakin up. turns out he needed smaller/shorter ones to work with my block since the cylinders arent bored all the way through....they have a....idk what to call it....chunk of metal at the bottom of the bore so you obv cant go past it. well he said the order was supposed to come in yesterday and have me done that evening. turns out, once again....they came in late today, so he said i'll be ready to pick the block up in the afternoon. decker* at forged said i was cool to have the tq plate a couple days later since my week ran out on monday. hopefully they wont charge me tomorrow, i'll call them in the AM to say i'll be shipping the tq plate out in the afternoon. either way, assembly will proceed once i get the block back in the shop. plastigauge the new rods and the new acl bearings....although im sure it'll be within spec. the stock ish was. lol i promise to have pix tomorrow once i get the block in my possession!

sorry for the long post, had to vent a lil. im so frustrated....dan's rubbin off on me. lol

Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 PM
I can't believe I just read all that.. Can I have the last 30 seconds of my life back!! Haha!!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Dont lie...it prolly took you 2 minutes to read that much. Deedurrrrr

Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 PM
so i got my block back finally. dude only charged me $100 cuz of the delays, so cool deal. so i plastigauged the mains with the new acl bearings and they are under .015" clearance so we're OK as far as that goes.

then i started the "assembly" process. cleaned it all up, put moly lube on the bearings, started putting the main caps on.....and then, the #3 cap with the thrust washers.....

idk what it is, but the acl thrust washers i got are not working. the ones on the block side slide in like they should cuz it is notched for the tabs. but on the cap side, its not working....idk what the problem is and i dont have the stock ones to compare. the tabs on them are keeping the cap from seating. anyone have this problem??? the pn on the package for them are correct for the vq35de. here are pix....

and you can see the tab part where it sticks out and is keepin the cap from seating....do i have the wrong stuff?

idk.....gonna talk to acl in the AM. just frustrated more. was hoping to have the bottom end assembled tonight but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 PM
That sucks!! Your have the Dan curse!! haha

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahhhh man bro idk. I hope it is somthin dumn. you will get it right. You need me to come there and fix that s**t?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Haha yeah Dan go fix the infiniti techs motor.. haha!!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Shut ur face! Lol

Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 PM
well i emailed the guy i bought them from yesterday about them, so hopefully he'll help me out and send me the right ones. but its been longer than the 30 days since i bought them on jan. 26. we'll see. if not, oh well...only like $20 for them. i just need them NOW!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 PM
so the guy i ordered the bearings and all from is gonna send me another set that is correct. some pix of the incorrectly packaged ACL thrust washers.

but i went ahead and overnighted some oem infiniti thrust washers and they were waiting for me first thing this morning.

once i was finished up at work i started the assembly............yay finally!

a few pix of the block. freshly bored and honed to cp's specs. and the modification to the water jackets for the HR headgasket mod.

got the mains all torqued down to spec....2 stages.

96mm cp 11:1 pistons

then i put the rods and pistons together. starting upon the 4th one, one of the c-clips for the wrist pin found its way under my mail in my finger. yeah, i literally had to pull it out. :/ bled like a *****!!!

manley rods w/ cp pistons YUM!

im guessing it doesnt matter which way the rods are installed. and judging by the notch on the bottom of the skirt, that part faces UP for the oil squirter clearance. otherwise no dot/arrow/etc showing otherwise. i guess i'll confirm this with manley/cp tomorrow before i put them in.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great to see this is starting to come together for you. it's been a long road so far.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 PM
made a lil more progress today. no other injuries and my finger is still a lil sore.

well i got the rings put on, they are indexed as the esm says. the rings obv as far as order, top ring is copper with some digits and 2nd ring has a 2 and the same digits. then the oil rings.

so i got the pistons/rods put in today. my only concern was the oil squirter clearances. all 6 pistons are notched the same. the notch part is fits proper on B1, but on B2 they obviously dont fit up like the other side. the CP guy said have the notched parts facing up towards the squirters, but on B2 the squirters are near the opposite side of the notch. but it clears, and the bottom end spins freely.

im freaked out over it cuz the original pistons are marked for forward direction. the B1 side is notched and fits over the squirters correctly, but on B2 that notch part is on the opposite side of the bore. thats why i was concerned, and still am. lol but cp said put em all up, so thats what i did.
so if anyone can confirm this i would highly appreciate it....

plastigauged the rods and they were right at/above .015" clearance so thats all good. time to slap some moly lube on the new acl race bearings and get the rods bolted down. so i got them tq'd down in steps: 15-30-60 ft lbs.

some bling i'll never see once the heads go on

got dome?

ARP2000s

gosh the droid sucks at close up shots lol. ill take my crappy p&s and get some macro shots of the squirters to SHOW what im talkin about tomorrow. cheers!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Id like to have space to tear down a oil consumption motor and rebuilt it.. They are cheap..

Last edited by Frankieg35; 03-30-2011 at 09:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the_coupe's NA engine build thread