Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Bosch O2 Sensor and P1273 Code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bosch O2 Sensor and P1273 Code

The Back Story:

OK, I recently hit some road debrit and destroyed my rear O2 sensor. There were some bare wires, plastic plug was non-existant, and the heater wire was pulled from the actual sensor. I then replaced the O2 sensor with a replacement from Bosch.

The Problem:

After replacing the O2 sensor, I started receiving SES/CEL light. I used my Cypher to read the code, and I was getting a P1273 error code. I'd clear the code, but it'd come back after a few miles. I checked for leaks in the exhaust, intake, and some other diagnosing, but everything appeared OK.

The Cause:

I plugged in the Cypher cable, and did some data logging on all the emitions sensors, and have come to this conclusion. The Bosch sensor takes about 1/2 (or at least less) readings then the stock O2 sensor does. The stock sensor was bouncing around with the changes in throttle. The Bosch would too, but much slower. Since this would happen, the ECU would see the Bosch sensor as running lean for a longer period of time, and then throw the P1273 error code.

The Solution:

I then replaced the Bosch O2 sensor with an OEM sensor (for double the price), and now the P1273 code has gone away, and the Cypher shows a lot more activity (faster readings) with the new OEM sensor.

I'm not saying that this may be the solution for everyone, but it worked for me. I also may have had a bad Bosch sensor, but didn't want to try swapping it out, and have the problem return.

**EDIT**

So, a basic rule of thumb now.... Don't mix O2 sensor brands. If you are are going to replace a single O2 sensor use an OEM (Denso?) sensor, but if you are replacing more then one, you can switch to another brand (Say Bosch), but you have to replace all sensors in that bank with the same brand, and I'd probably recommend replacing all four so the ECU doesn't see a variance between the driver/passenger bank. (Don't know if this would throw a code or not)

**/EDIT**

Hope this helps people in the future.

Ian

Last edited by LowUFO; 02-24-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Updated Information
Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm about to replace all of my o2 sensors so that's good to know. There's so many to choose from.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for posting. I have Bosh widebands in my car and have had the code for a few months because of a unknown vacuum leak OR it could be because of what you said, but they did work on my car for a short period. It appears that I did fix the vacuum leak today, as of now I have no SES light and I've driven the car and shut it off and turned it on a couple of times.

I will replace them with new widebands after it passes emissions inspection if it passes this next week.

BTW Nice sedan with the supercharger. Don't see many 05+ supercharged.

Last edited by Andrei; 01-30-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Mine just passed emissions with Bosh widebands. I will probably not change them out.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM
UDPATE. I can confirm them working. They have been working on my car for 2 days now without issue since I nailed down the vacuum leak which was because I was not using a valve cover bolt. It was a good deal at $180 and 1 year warranty which the dealer does not give on electric parts.

BTW maybe the reason you have a SES light was because you replaced 1 sensor instead of both. I changed them both and didn't mix different brands.

Last edited by Andrei; 02-23-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to know Andrei.

Yes, I did mix brands of O2 sensors, and that is probably why it was throwing the P1273 code.

So, a basic rule of thumb now.... Don't mix O2 sensor brands.

Updated first post in this thread....

Last edited by LowUFO; 02-24-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by LowUFO
Good to know Andrei.

Yes, I did mix brands of O2 sensors, and that is probably why it was throwing the P1273 code.

So, a basic rule of thumb now.... Don't mix O2 sensor brands.

Updated first post in this thread....
I have another update. Apparently they work intermediately. So they are infact not compatible with our cars or any Nissan/Infiniti with widebands. I saw the list of vehicles they are used for on the NAPA parts index and they list some German cars which use the same part sensors and part number. That is definitely not going to work, even though some German cars do use Japanese parts among Slovakian and French parts.

I returned mine and got back my $200 and bought some used ones in the marketplace for $80. Will install this morning.