Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update, been driving around all day, and car seems to be working fine now. Guess the lack of coolant was wat had cause the issue, if any thing happens I will take it to the dealer and put a post up.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by linpointer
update, been driving around all day, and car seems to be working fine now. Guess the lack of coolant was wat had cause the issue, if any thing happens I will take it to the dealer and put a post up.
Check to see if you have any mixtures of oil and coolant ...

this problem sounds like a headgasket failure.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy SH*T....someone please help. I think I just efft up my car. I got my fan issue fixed by the dealership under warranty a couple of weeks ago. Then all of a sudden, my temp needle shoots up to H as I'm driving then a hear a noise and all of a sudden my check engine soon light comes on. I immediately pull over and turn into a parking lot but my car starts bucking. I find a spot and let it sit for a half hour to cool off. Temp needle is basically staying at H. Luckily my house was less than 5 mins away. But it continued to buck and vibrate and I could hear a rattling or something from the engine and just as I pull in my driveway, the car completely shut off. WTF could've went wrong? I mean the issue was just "fixed" by the dealer and now it starts overheating. Somebody please tell me something, I'm awestruck right now

Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by DRKNYT
Holy SH*T....someone please help. I think I just efft up my car. I got my fan issue fixed by the dealership under warranty a couple of weeks ago. Then all of a sudden, my temp needle shoots up to H as I'm driving then a hear a noise and all of a sudden my check engine soon light comes on. I immediately pull over and turn into a parking lot but my car starts bucking. I find a spot and let it sit for a half hour to cool off. Temp needle is basically staying at H. Luckily my house was less than 5 mins away. But it continued to buck and vibrate and I could hear a rattling or something from the engine and just as I pull in my driveway, the car completely shut off. WTF could've went wrong? I mean the issue was just "fixed" by the dealer and now it starts overheating. Somebody please tell me something, I'm awestruck right now
Call the dealer ASAP, since they just worked on your car. Don't drive to the dealer have your car tow there and have the dealearship cover the tow cost. That is what I would do.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 PM
FML this can't be happening.

I'm assuming the service department isn't open on Sundays so I would have to wait until Monday right? Is there a statute of limitations or something, because it hasn't even been a month yet since it was fixed. Everything was fine when they fixed it for a few weeks, now....

Old 06-04-2011, 10:59 PM
FML this can't be happening.

I'm assuming the service department isn't open on Sundays so I would have to wait until Monday right? Is there a statute of limitations or something, because it hasn't even been a month yet since it was fixed. Everything was fine when they fixed it for a few weeks, now....
I don't know if there is any statue of limitation, but the current incident is related to the previous incident and supposely the dealer said they fixed it. Some dealer might give you problem some might not, I had a different problem come back after I took it to the dealer and I called them ahead of time and told them the problem was not permanently fixed that it came back and they did not give me a hard time they said bring it in and took care of it.

I would suggest call them ahead of time and talk to them politely and see what they said, if they refuse ask to talk to the service manager and then get belligerent...lol

Old 06-04-2011, 11:06 PM
that might have to work. The service dept rep that I worked with last time was pretty cool, so hopefully I wont have to get belligerent. lol.

But any ideas on what the issue could be? The fans were the issue last time, and they clearly work, or from what I can hear...however it still 'overheated'.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:14 PM
that might have to work. The service dept rep that I worked with last time was pretty cool, so hopefully I wont have to get belligerent. lol.

But any ideas on what the issue could be? The fans were the issue last time, and they clearly work, or from what I can hear...however it still 'overheated'.
Could be several things, low coolant, thermostat or maybe the fans went bad again, either way let the dealership figure it out. Don't stress it, there isn't much you can do now, but wait till Monday.

Next time you leave the dealer after they work on your car, take a minute to look over your car, specially whatever part they work on. I usually look around my car to see if they scratch anything then I pop the hood and look around for any loose connections and test whatever system the worked on. In your case I would of turned the car on and verify the fans come on when they were suppose to and the coolant level was within limits. Good luck

Old 06-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Do you think it could be a head gasket? I have a bad feeling that's what it is. It went limp and then the service engine light came on and the needle stayed at H. I have 93K miles on my car and the dealership "fixed" my previous overheating issue because the cooling fans weren't working. What are the changes they'll diagnose the problem for free since it's only been two weeks since they fixed it

Old 06-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
Check to see if you have any mixtures of oil and coolant ...

this problem sounds like a headgasket failure.
bump

Old 06-05-2011, 05:38 PM
How can I check to see if there are any mixtures?

Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 PM
How can I check to see if there are any mixtures?
When the car is cool, check the radiator... if it looks like chocolate milk = oil in water.

Check oil dip stick, if choc. milk = water in oil.

If you see water vapor after FULL warm up in rear exhaust = Water in Combustion Chamber (Typical characteristic for water being pushed out of reserve tank and overboiling)

Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I saw a little bit of water vapor or a little white smoke after start up and a little revving...but it went away. I let it idle for about 5 mins or so and the needle stayed at the bottom. I decided to take it for a one mike spin around my neighborhood. For the first half mile, the needle stayed in the middle, then when I stopped to make a u-turn, it started creeping up towards H again. It stayed relatively close to the top but never passed the last notch before H. Pulled in the driveway and shut it off. The dealership is about 15 mins away (mostly highway) and the mechanic I usually take it to is about 15 mins in the other direction, not so much hwy. Lol.

I called Infiniti this morning and of course they said bring it in, but they said it wasn't a cooling fan issue since they were brand new and 3 weeks old and I know they're about to rip me a new one

Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Pm me your number

Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Problem solved. Appreciate everyone who chimed in. I took it to my local mechanic. Apparently, the dealership forgot to tighten the valve back there behind the engine when they replaced the fans so my coolant was leaking out. WTF. The dealership is so ****ty. Almost had to make me replace my whole engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Overheating Issue