Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

RPMs Drop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPMs Drop

I noticed yesterday and this morning that my RPMs are dropping when first giving the car gas after cruising, I have a 6MT, so it's not downshifting. What happens is say i'm in 3rd at 3000 rpm, but not giving any gas, just coasting. Then i punch the gas, the RPMs rise like usual, then drop 3-400 RPMs, then go back up again. It feels like a boost that has ran out. Could this be because it's getting colder out, it was around 40degrees this morning? Or do i have a more serious problem?

Steve

G-Squad Hi-Res Gallery

Old 11-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: RPMs Drop

check out www.technosquareinc.com and do their resets. all of them. it may help.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 11-08-2004, 06:44 PM

cool site, but i don't think it's gonna help. driving home from work today was it. my clutch is done, it's not grabbing. only 8500 miles on a 4 month old G, i'm gonna do a search, but anyone else have a clutch problem this early? should be covered by warranty, right?

Steve

G-Squad Hi-Res Gallery

Old 11-08-2004, 09:56 PM

I thought the clutch isn't covered at all by warranty? that sucks though... for some reason i thought your car was older than 4 months lol... see what the dealer says, good luck!

------------
T
2005 G35 Coupe Auto DG/G
Prem / Nav / Sport / Aero / Splash Guards
Z-Tube / Pop Charger / Clear Corners

Old 11-08-2004, 11:55 PM

what!?!?!? the clutch isn't covered by the warranty? please someone, tell me this isn't true.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:16 AM

Either your clutch was bad from the factory or you drive way too aggressively/slip your clutch too much. Clutches are supposed to last a LONG time. hehe. Oh and if you can't make infiniti pay at least a part of your clutch(since it did wear VERY early) you can always upgrade to a stronger clutch and maybe even get a lighter flywheel while you're at it. =P

'03 G35c DG/G 6mt, full options
clear corners, tint, z-tube/popcharger,
nismo titanium shift ****

Old 11-09-2004, 07:07 AM

i don't drive that agressive. most of my driving is highway, a lot of it in traffic, but i coast as much as possible. the clutch should be lasting a lot more than 8500 miles. i never downshift to break, and usually shift conservatively, around 3-3500 rpms. i also had the problem of the clutch pedal not always coming up right away, but i never told infiniti about it because it didn't happen that often.

anyone know for sure if the clutch is covered under warranty or not? i would think "normal" wear and tear is not covered, but 8500 miles is hardly normal, i should be able to go 10 times that or more.

my appointment is for tomorrow, so i'll see what they say. if they say it's not covered, i'll be talking to the regional office and the BBB tomorrow afternoon.

Steve

G-Squad Hi-Res Gallery

Old 11-09-2004, 07:11 AM

Your experience is certainly not typical. After almost two years my clutch is just fine, and I have "dropped it" on more than one occassion with no ill effects.

Good Luck.

Lou

Old 11-09-2004, 04:41 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

According to my dealership (Suburban Infiniti in Novi, MI) the clutch is warrantied for 12 months/12,000 miles which ever comes first.

Clearly you are in the segment and since you do normal driving, there is something wrong with your clutch assembly or something related.

Just be honest when you go to the service dept.

I have 30,000 miles on my clutch and have dropped it on more than one occassion. Still running like a champ *knock on wood*

Just a question though, when you drive hard lets say trying to go 0-60 in 5.6 secs do you turn off VDC? If not then in the future you should, VDC likes to wear out the clutch prematurely. But if you drive normally you should have no problems, unless something is wrong in the first place.

Let us know what comes out. Good luck.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/Z-Tube/double-din

Old 11-09-2004, 06:21 PM

glad to hear it's warrantied for 12/12000, no need to worry about dropping 2 grand or so now. i have only turned the VDC off once since i've had the car, it was against a 5AT to see who had a faster launch. i drive 0-60 style, maybe once a week. i usually shift at 3-4k rpms, even merging on a highway i only go to 5000 rpms.

here's the PM i just sent to diesel, didn't feel like rewriting how it is today:

i didn't drive it to work today, so my dad drove it, just locally though. when i got home he said it felt fine. so i took it for a 30min "test" drive. it was already heated up, but i started out easy, getting more aggresive as i felt confident. coming home, i blew past my house, chirping the wheels from 1st to 2nd.

so now everything seems fine, although i did hear more of a rattle than usual from the tranny while idling at a light, or maybe i just never listened for it before. i'm gonna take it in tomorrow anyway and have them check it out. any thoughts though? what were the symptons you had?

Steve

G-Squad Hi-Res Gallery

Old 11-09-2004, 09:53 PM

hey pezzonovante, did you do that "clutch shortening" mod? Where you make the clutch height shorter? Just curious.

---
2004 TB/W 6mtC. Sunroof only.
Bel Vector 985
Grounding Kit
Splash Guards
Custom Carputer
Custom FG Sub
Infinity KapPerf6.1, Ref 6002si, 5760 6-ch AMP.
30% Huper

Old 11-09-2004, 10:14 PM

nope, everything under my G's hood and the drivetrain is stock.

Steve

G-Squad Hi-Res Gallery