Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

FCON Gurus on here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FCON Gurus on here?

Okay a little background first:

2003 6mt. APS Twin Turbo kit, 565 injectors, tuned for ~13psi on HKS FCON iS, feedback tuning via innovate LC1. Built bottom end. Build done by GTM.

I originally picked the car up in non-running condition, owner managed to short the "ign cont eccs" circuit, which in turn fried the factory ECU and smoked all 6 coil packs. I discovered this after 2 weeks of meticulously going through the wiring harness. During troubleshooting I pulled out the FCON and put in stock injectors (so pretty much the car is a stock car with an APS kit installed). After replacing the fried ECU and coilpacks, and having the new ECU reset/paired to the key (NATS reset), the car starts, idles, revs, and even spools (I only took it to ~2psi to test it out) GREAT!!!

So I put the 565's back in, same thing. Runs great, just rich under load/boost. So now I want to run the FCON and start actually boosting the car.

I plugged it (the FCON) back in, (plugged in both ends of the harness, reconnected the wideband signal) and the car starts and idles well, but high. Around 1300rpm. If I rev it, even put the pedal to the floor, the RPMS barely rise. As though the FCON unit isnt getting a very good signal from TPS. The car is set to tune by feedback from my LC-1 unit. (signal wire currently going to pin 15 - exhaust temp input). It just doesnt seem to be responsive to the pedal...

That's where Im at right now, Im currently studying up on the pinouts to the FCON harness and the factory harness to see if something simply needs voltage or a ground (there are a couple wires coming from the FCON harness that were simply hanging down un-connected to anything.

-One wire is coming from pin 4 of the ECU end of the FCON harness, black wire "exhaust temp signal ground." I grounded this one to the frame with no luck. Should it go elsewhere?

-The other wire in question is tapping off of ignition +, cant remember the exact pin right now.

But thats about it. If I just go straight ECU, no FCON in between, the car runs fine, even with the 565s. But Id love to get this running again on the FCON and start pushing 13psi that this unit is set up for.

Any constructive help appreciated. I know this is a less common EMS, and I realize only certain shops tune this. But Im hoping one of them may see this and have some insight/ideas.

Thanks!

-Brandon

Old 04-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Anybody? Another thing I thought of was the possibility that GTM had reflashed the ECU to work with the FCON. Ive fired them an email but havent heard back.

Perhaps one of the GTM guys on here can chime in here... When you do a typical FCON iS install on a car with bigger injectors/turbo do you reflash the ECU to stay in open/closed to play well with the FCON?

Thanks

-Brandon

Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Just an update: This problem has been resolved, with no thanks to the douche crew at GTM might I add. Turns out it was an issue w the car's wiring.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. Just FYI, if you had posted in the FI section over at my350z you would have gotten more responses. The FCON is usually locked by HKS licensed pro-tuners and requires a USB key to tune, which is why many people favor the Haltech, ProEFI, or even the UTEC.