Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Help? Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula as PS fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Help? Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula as PS fluid?

Searched, nothing about using Mobil 1's syn ATF multi-vehicle as PS fluid. Back of the bottle has one section that says:
"Recommended for 2005 and earlier GM Vehicles. Mobil DEXRON VI ATF is recommended for 2006 and newer GM vehicles with improved performance in 2005 and earlier vehicles, wherever DEXRON is specified."

Then, further down the label, it has a section of suitable applications, which includes Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K.

So, thoroughly confused on why they would recommend the Mobil DEXRON VI ATF as opposed to their fully syn ATF, I went to Mobil's website and to the multi-vehicle ATF's product page:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx

Was able to confirm that is the exact label as the one I bought, so I knew I was looking at the right stuff. Scrolling further down, there is a section that reads: "Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring: GM Dexron IIIH, GM Dexron IIIG ..." I thought this was interesting, since FSM said I needed DEX III ATF for my PS fluid.

Next, went to the product data sheet link at the bottom of the page: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...hetic_ATF.aspx. It has a specific line in the application section that reads: Recommended by ExxonMobil for use in any power steering unit where a Dexron or Mercon fluid is recommended."

So I guess my confusion is: why would they recommend using another product on their bottle label? The label had nothing that said it was DEXRON certified in any way. However, their product data sheet and product site does say the multi-vehicle synthetic ATF is recommended for DEX III and even goes to say specifically for PS units that require DEXRON. I'm sure the bottle I bought is the product on the website, the front labels are identical. Any advice? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Couldn't wait for reply, lol. Old liquid looked hideous. Steering feels a little lighter, but the new stuff smells so bad. Smells like it has acid + diff fluid in it.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
if it says its compatible then it should work. but nissan p/s fluid is the same as maticD. maticJ and S are a lil diff.....idk what exactly, but im guessin you did a full flush?

Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Yup, didn't feel like turkey bastering it for a week. Fluids clean, guess I'll see if leaks form over the next week. Actually spoke to someone from Mobil over the phone, was really a crapshot of whether or not it is certified/rated for Dex; answer was "you can use it, it will probably be ok". Wonderful...

Old 04-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah, its tough to tell even tho mobil is pretty good stuff. id just use nissan fluids, but thats cuz i work at the dealer and have full access to it. lol
but i dont think our cars are super sensitive like hondas are...since they have a "honda only" specific fluid or else you'll mess up the pump.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Yeah, price dealer first, wanted $180 for flush and I graciously declined. The issue is finding the fluid, dealer wanted $30 for 2 qts of "Nissan PSF", so I went to autozone/oreillys/advancedauto/napa to find fluid. Nothing is just "dexIII" compatible nowadays, all the crap is +additives/+seal protectors/+etc... so I just worry about using something that will harm the PS system in the long run.