Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Help with mistake, Put water in tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Help with mistake, Put water in tank

Help!! on a costly boneheaded mistake. This weekend I dumped five gallons of extra “gas” in my ’02 G35 coupe as it was running on low. Shortly afterwards it stalled. Thinking it was just bad gas I chased it with 4 gal of premium gas.
I disconnected the fuel line from the engine and cranked it about 50 times to get out 3 gallons of mixed fuel. Took it to the dealer and as it turned it I put in water.

Now dealer wants to drop the tank, dry it out, change out fuel filter and flush out lines all for $950 dollars. I was planning to trade it in a few months anyway, but I was wondering the likelihood of success versus damage to engine block if I continued to drain the tank using fuel pump (and hooking up external battery so I won’t fry my starter) then dumping in a container of Dry-gas, followed by high octane gas for the next few tankfuls.

I’m not too savvy but willing to put in time and research to reclaim my dignity for such a bone headed mistake. All opinons welcome.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I would pump it out myself, the fuel filter on G35s are little nylon socks so I am not sure how changing it out will help anything .

You could remove a fuel line under the hood to drain the tank I think as soon as you turn the key to accessory the fuel pump comes on so it won't hurt your starter.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just pump it out yourself

Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Also there is only one fuel line, these cars have no return line and only one feed line. I think they are trying to stick it to you.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
I would pump it out myself, the fuel filter on G35s are little nylon socks so I am not sure how changing it out will help anything .

You could remove a fuel line under the hood to drain the tank I think as soon as you turn the key to accessory the fuel pump comes on so it won't hurt your starter.
you're right the fuel pump runs momentarily in the "accessory mode" to pressure the line so you could just take your fuel line loose and cycle your key between "off" and "accessory" to empty most of your tank.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Put a hose in the tank and siphon the majority of the contents out. Afterwards, disconnect the fuel line and turn the key on and off to get the rest out of the lines. Put fresh gas in along with a bottle of gas treatment or whatever it's called to take care of whatever water may still be inside. Turn the key on/off 5-10 times to pressurize the system again and you should be able to start the car.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by h23sdominate
you're right the fuel pump runs momentarily in the "accessory mode" to pressure the line so you could just take your fuel line loose and cycle your key between "off" and "accessory" to empty most of your tank.
If it dosent see the pressure( with the line disconnected no pressure will build) i think it will keep running so you wont have to cycle the key.

Trending Topics

Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
i don't think the price is too. high.. the dealer has overhead, the mechanics are trained, and there is a 12 mo / 12,000mi warranty on the work performed.. the dealers and mechanics don't get paid for what they do.. they get paid for what they know.. even if it's just a few hour job.. $950 doesn't sound totally unreasonable.. sux but hey..

Old 06-03-2011, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by alfhasg35
i don't think the price is too. high.. the dealer has overhead, the mechanics are trained, and there is a 12 mo / 12,000mi warranty on the work performed.. the dealers and mechanics don't get paid for what they do.. they get paid for what they know.. even if it's just a few hour job.. $950 doesn't sound totally unreasonable.. sux but hey..
Well if they are paid for what they know in this case they are way over charging, there is no so called fuel filter to replace on these cars it is a nylon sock that dose not require servicing or replacing and they said flush the lines but there is only one fuel line.....so should I be charging for this info? what you know not what you do isn't that how you put it?

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 06-03-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldnt waste your time dropping the tank. This is an easy fix to do yourself. I would just pull your back seat cushion off and remove the fuel hat. There is an access panel on the passanger side. You can have the seat out and pump removed in 5 minutes. Once the pump is out, just pick up a siphon pump from the parts store(a hand one is less than 10 bucks) and run the hose out to a container and into the tank. Pump all of the old out and reinstall. Then take the front engine line loose and cycle the key a few times to clear the line. Reinstall and fill with gas.

This way you wont have to sit turning the key on/off umpteen dozen times and you will make sure and get all the gas out, as you can see into the tank.

And it hs to be asked.....why did you have water in a gas can?