Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

knocking noise in engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i run 93 and no ethanol gas at all and will the g35 run with out cats just straight to muffler and i can hear the knockin noise in and out car

Old 10-29-2011, 06:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Fram oil filters will allow oil to drain back into oil pan on shut off causing a mild knocking on start up for about 5 sec...because you have found pcs of metal forty thousands thick tells me that the connecting rod bearilngs are trashed.
pull off oil pan and check each individual connecting rod bearing. IF CRANK is scored engine willl need to be pulled, if not use 400 black wet sandpaper or finish with crocus cloth to smooth and replace with new std bearing insert.....AND HOPE.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:35 AM
last night i went outside to play with this car to try and diagnose it and the knockin i literally heard it go from one side of engine to other sounded like it rolled aroud the inside the intake sort of the knock is roght at the top of the engine somewhere. im thinkin cats seriously. well i try and take it down road to see if any difference and i didnt even make it half a mile lost all power took forever to get it home kept cuttin off it wouldnt stay runnin kinda like ot was suffocating maybe i hope its simple and just that cause i know it aint no rod it would have been blown up especially how i drive

Old 10-29-2011, 11:02 AM
heres anothin ******* update motor just locked up noise went away reved it up one time as soon as it did u could hear it for my car guys u know the sound hit the key shut it up real fast gave iut a sec hit the key and there we go time for a motor and just to be sure wat inside the top end can lock up motor

Old 10-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Hatchbackboyz
heres anothin ******* update motor just locked up noise went away reved it up one time as soon as it did u could hear it for my car guys u know the sound hit the key shut it up real fast gave iut a sec hit the key and there we go time for a motor and just to be sure wat inside the top end can lock up motor
Its unlikely anything on the Top end "locked up" the motor, more than likly its piston/rings related. I'm sorry to hear that man

I hope you get it back running ASAP, Let me know if I can help you with anything.

-Rob

Old 10-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Z1Motorsports
When your oil pressure drops (in this case due to low oil) the VTCs get extremely noisy, thats more than likely what your referring to. But I wouldn't really call that a "Knock" noise.

If you are frequently hearing that sound you should check oil more frequently and possibly invest in an oil pan spacer so you can run 6qts, also try raising your oil weight to a 40 or 50 which should slow down the oil consumption slightly.

-Rob

Well I have an rev-up OC engine but dealer gave me the run around about gettin it replaced. I gave up so decided to moved to synthetic 0w-40 from my previous 5w-30 to slow down the oil consumption. Slowed it down but still burns about 2.5qrts every 3k miles, was wondering what other oil grade can I move to without sacrificing performance?

Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Zioxx
Well I have an rev-up OC engine but dealer gave me the run around about gettin it replaced. I gave up so decided to moved to synthetic 0w-40 from my previous 5w-30 to slow down the oil consumption. Slowed it down but still burns about 2.5qrts every 3k miles, was wondering what other oil grade can I move to without sacrificing performance?
2.5qts every 3k and Infiniti is giving you the run around? Let me guess, they never "heard" of the problem before? LOL

I'm running 5w-30 dino oil, no problem as of yet.

Last edited by jibberjabbers; 10-29-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
2.5qts every 3k and Infiniti is giving you the run around? Let me guess, they never "heard" of the problem before? LOL
Well they know about the problem, the engine got approved to be replaced at South Bay infiniti but they checked the VIN & the history of the car. Im the 2nd owner bought it in 09 with 24k miles. The history of the car only shows maintaince from 27k-now which is 62k. They denied the replacement of the engine bcuz "lack of history maintaince" from previous owner. I was going to try OC Infiniti to see what they tell me but im not sure when warranty expires.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Does it sound like this? I'm trying to figure out mine as well and might try a slightly heavier weight of oil...I'm running Motul and need to check what weight Forged used...

MINE:

The closets I could find to match mine and his comments said changing to a diff brand of oil and possible weight fixed it for him:

Old 10-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Actually no. I dnt have a constant knock noise like that. Mines only sounds like a shatter when I accelerate. Once I put a quart of oil the noise goes away.

Maybe the guy from Z1motorsports can give a suggestion on your problem.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Well they know about the problem, the engine got approved to be replaced at South Bay infiniti but they checked the VIN & the history of the car. Im the 2nd owner bought it in 09 with 24k miles. The history of the car only shows maintaince from 27k-now which is 62k. They denied the replacement of the engine bcuz "lack of history maintaince" from previous owner. I was going to try OC Infiniti to see what they tell me but im not sure when warranty expires.
The revised TSB doesn't require a maintenance record. Plus, why would they use the previous owner as an excuse not to warranty it?

I mean, was it burning oil when you bought the car at 24k? Or did it happen at 62k?

Did Infiniti change the oil on your car during your ownership? I guess they didn't bother to check the oil level? Or maybe they KNEW about it, and didn't bother to mention it. Like most of them do. (waiting till you are out of warranty to bring it up).

Last edited by jibberjabbers; 10-29-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If it's knocking dont answer it

Old 10-31-2011, 06:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
0w40 is going to burn MORE oil...go here and learn...If that was mine I would try SHELL 15/40...if that does not make a considerable difference in noise or oil usage you need new parts...
www.bobistheoilguy.com

Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 PM
for everyone whos knock isnt consistent just to help u out listen mine started out like that knockin then quittin wen i put oil in it for a couple months then it ended up lockin up out of nowhere matter of fact it was while it was idlein i was tryin to listen to it but it started out just bein an occasional deal so if ur car is only doin on occasions please try and fix it now so it dont end up like mine

Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
oh yeah and does any one know what else could lock motor up as far as the top end cams timing chain valves etc..... gettin ready to either replace or fix the existing watever is cheapest and easier let me know please guys thx

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: knocking noise in engine