Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Crunchy Clutch or crunch shifter???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Crunchy Clutch or crunch shifter???

Hello peeps.

I own a 2007 G35 coupe. I notice once in a while when shifting between 1st and 2nd and even from 2nd to 3rd my clutch seems a little crunchy but mostly in the hand shifter area. I don't here much grinding from the transmission below but mostly up top where I shift. I wish I can explain it better but that's the only way I know how. The clutch grabs nicely from a foot control perspective but I am just explaining what I feel in my hand. The car has about 70 grand on the motor and I am the third owner. The original owner was off a lease, the second a nerdy IT manager and myself. In the next two weeks I am doing a trans oil swap, a differential oil swap and a coolant flush jst so that I can track the actual fluid usage since my ownership. As a whole the clutch in general feels good and there is no detection os slipping or heavy grinding. I just feel a little crunch here or there in the hand shifter.

Any advice or similar experience?

Old 10-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Crunch is normal since this gearbox is not extremely buttery smooth. See if rev-matching makes a difference or still chunky shifts. The trans fluid swap will help it out but keep in mind I believe it hold like 6-8qts and you are only swapping out less than 4qts. Get a new aftermarket shift **** like TWM or a Weighted shift **** and that will add weight behind each shift and make it lower in height for less travel. Shift at low rpm will cause clunk and the car/tranny prefers higher rpm shifts. Also replace and bleed your clutch fluid with DOT 4 fluid.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm glad you understand what I meant. I wasn't thinking of doing a clutch fluid swap but may throw it into the mix...

Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Um, the shifter itself should be smooth. The shifting of the gears in the transmission itself is clunky.

What you're experiencing is probably bad fluid or bad synchros.

My shifter use shifts smoothly about 3 months ago. I then took it to Infiniti to change my MTF and now it shifts like yours. Especially during the morning when it's cold.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggyfingers
Hello peeps.

I own a 2007 G35 coupe. I notice once in a while when shifting between 1st and 2nd and Any advice or similar experience?
here is my .02 in very cold weather my 6mt was very difficult to shiift until it warmed up after a few miles...so I changed to Amsoil syn gear fluid....this stuff is so slippery that shifting became impossible as one could now beat the syncromesh with constant gear clash....I changed to Mobil 1, I think it was 85/140. problems over...but as an aside you live in cold weather and I found it helpful not to FORCE the first shift from 1 to 2 while cold...while in first gear I would apply a certain amount of pressure on shifter and allowing it to go in gear without any undue pressure...one must know that the first'reverse gear IDLER only gets oil from the splash system. After trans has been in use for several blocks the trans should shift perfectly

Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 AM
I woke up this morning and the bitter cold put a nice layer of frost on my car (Jersey Halloween weather go figure). I let the car warm up for 15 minutes with the heat on full blast. My temp gauge was where it should be when operating at normal conditions. I do agree cold weather does give the car a temper in the shifting arena. But once warmed up its shifts much much smoother. One of my concerns is that in the shift lever every so often I feel a crunch or some type of click/grind. As I stated I feel it mostly in the shifter and throughout different gears . I do not feel any slipping from the clutch or smell anything that was burned, or feel any gears losing traction. If in fact the tranny is a bit clunky and this is normal I'll let it fly.

As far as fluid I planned an appointment in two weeks to do a new fluid transfer with the tranny, diff and coolant. Hopefully it helps....