Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Trouble starting?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Trouble starting?!

I went over to my brother's house friday night (he's a couple of hours away). The car sat overnight. I started it up and moved it about 15 feet Saturday morning (moved it in front of his house instead of the neighbors). It seemed just fine.

Then this morning, I went to leave, and it wouldn't start. Well, it actually did start the first time I cranked it -- just like normal -- but then it immediately died. I then tried starting it for 5-10 minutes. It turned over just fine, but wouldn't catch. I went inside for a few minutes (it's cold out there). I went back out, and on the second or third try, it started. It ran horribly for a minute or so. It was also spewing lots of white smoke out the back. The engine and smoke gradually returned to normal.

Since then, it has ran fine. It starts just like normal, and runs just like normal.

It almost sounds like the car was flooded. But how the heck could it get flooded? I was really surprised that my still-almost-brand-new car wouldn't start. I got it last January, and have ~13,500 miles on it.

What the heck could cause this?

Old 12-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had problems starting my g once after it sat for 2 weeks. started on the 2nd try and puffed alot of white smoke. it hasnt done it ever again though. better bring your car to the dealer for a check up!

Old 12-26-2004, 10:46 PM
WRAH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dave
I went over to my brother's house friday night (he's a couple of hours away). The car sat overnight. I started it up and moved it about 15 feet Saturday morning (moved it in front of his house instead of the neighbors). It seemed just fine.

Then this morning, I went to leave, and it wouldn't start. Well, it actually did start the first time I cranked it -- just like normal -- but then it immediately died. I then tried starting it for 5-10 minutes. It turned over just fine, but wouldn't catch. I went inside for a few minutes (it's cold out there). I went back out, and on the second or third try, it started. It ran horribly for a minute or so. It was also spewing lots of white smoke out the back. The engine and smoke gradually returned to normal.

Since then, it has ran fine. It starts just like normal, and runs just like normal.

It almost sounds like the car was flooded. But how the heck could it get flooded? I was really surprised that my still-almost-brand-new car wouldn't start. I got it last January, and have ~13,500 miles on it.

What the heck could cause this?
Sounds like water in the gas, or a big change in temp, causing water in the gas.

Next time when you try starting it give it a little gas, and keep it going until the oil temp comes up to normal. DON'T REV it COLD though!!!

Last edited by WRAH; 12-26-2004 at 10:48 PM.