Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Compression Test Results ~ Your advice please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Compression Test Results ~ Your advice please

Hey guys,
So, I finally got my new to me '03 G35 sedan's check over done today.

Everything passed quite well, she's due for spark plugs but everything else looks cherry. The car has about 112,000 miles on the clock

Compression test results, viewed from top of engine:

REAR
150~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~150
185~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~200
195~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~190
FRONT

Oil in cylinders = 240 all around

So clearly, worn piston rings are the problem here. Please note the following: This test was done with the engine COLD

I know the test is supposed to be done when warm but in my experience that doesn't normally make a huge difference in readings, especially when the reading is this far off. Also warming it up wasn't feesable the engine can't start right now I've got a bunch of stuff pulled off it.

Just wanted your guys opinions on what I should do with this beauty. It drives spectacular, idles smooth as butter, if I hadn't done this test I wouldn't have had a clue that there could be potential issues.
I'm also pulling 24 MPG driving it hard, and I"m really scared to change ANYTHING because of this LOLZ

The car's in the driveway until winter clears up anyways, I'm driving the Maxima until spring then I"m planning to sell the maxima and drive the G permanently.

Is there anything I can do other that rebuilding when the time comes? Anything that could help along the way, prolong the inevitable, Or should I just run the engine until is has a problem and rebuild it?
I won't be driving it 'easy', and I plan on boost sometime, nothing wild, under 10psi, and not this year for sure. I plan on putting a lot of coin into this car and have no intentions of getting rid of it any time soon, unless that's strongly advised here (to sell this one and find another)
TIA

Old 02-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
question.. are your plug gaskets leaking?

the two areas with lower compression looks like the areas where it leaks the most..
i am just taking a wild guess here... take it as a grain of salt..

that's with ZERO mechanical knowledge.. so don't hate me too much if i am wrong.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
If by plug gaskets you mean Valve cover Seals, then no, there is no leakage. In fact I was amazed at the coil boot condition, everything is bone dry and looking mint, no cracks or anything.

The compression test numbers make perfect sense, the rear cylinders are always going to run hotter, making wear more excessive. Also the exhaust temp is hottest in this area which cranks the heat up even more. There's little to no good airflow to combat this.

Add to that it's farthest from the water pump.

There's a lot of reasons why the firewall side wears faster, it's not a surprise that it's worn there opposed to other locations. You'll also always note that the cylinder with themost open air around it, closest to the air intake will have the best numbers. In my case, 200 PSI in the center Driver side.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
The rear cyl's also run leaner due to airflow design which means hotter burn under load. No suggestion other than drive it until you're ready for a rebuild?