Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Leak Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak Help

tl:dr version - oil leak by red circle on photo. Also had oil on strut tower inside engine bay from dipstick not being fully seated. I would say it is a decent sized leak. Probably orange size puddle. Valve covers?

Long Version:
I recently broke some a wheel stud and had another come loose. I decided to fix myself. I replaced the studs (which had me messing with the brake caliper and pads. To ensure that everything was okay with my braking system afterwards, I went for a spirited drive and did some stop and go's.

Car started smoking on the way home. Get home and see oil under my car. The oil was dripping from where the red circle is on the attached photo.

I also had oil on my strut towers but I figure that came from the dipstick not being fully seated. I find it hard to believe that little hole could produce that much oil. I cleaned the area where the red circle is and put some cardboard down. It isnt leaking nearly as much as it was, but it is still more than a slow drip.

Any ideas what it could be? I looked around the oil pan and oil filter and they are bone dry. I did some searching and read about the valve covers. Not sure how much oil loss would actually occur from this problem.

Also to add a bit more information, I changed the spark plugs two weeks ago and there was no oil in any of them. Then the car sat for a nearly a week with broken wheel studs.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak Help-jackpoints.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Updated with a pic showing what it looks like after 2 hours (currently 956pm, posted at 756pm) This what it looked like when I first saw a leak under my car prior to cleaning where the red circle was....

Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak Help-019.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Looks like the drain plug or gasket needs to be replaced.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow in 2 hours?! thats alote of oil, idk if its in the middle maybe its the drain plug or oil filter.

clean everything up with degreaser and then see where its leaking from.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
This is weird but i'm having the same problem, driving home smoke started erupting from the hood as i had the pedal to the floor. didn't feel anything different not weird sounds just smoke. i let off the gas and the smoke went away after a few seconds. i drove another 4 miles home no SES lights or anything. I had oil spots all in my garage about that size to. after a day of sitting the oil leak stopped. i did some looking around in the motor, pretty much I've came to the conclusion that my oil dip stick isn't seated properly.

Part of the seal on the dip stick is broke off. I didn't think this could cause so much oil to leak. i cleaned up all the oil on the motor, took it for a spin around the block. Only to find oil surrounding my dip stick, its almost like bubbling out. Others have agreed with me that, this is most likely my problem. I'm going to lowes now to buy some sort of rubber plug until i can get to the dealership. i'll let you know how this works! Deff look at your dip stick really good,