Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Overheating mystery, need some help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Had to do this last fall, pain in the butt to burp the system. I just parked on a slope with the funnel in, let it warm up, and rev to 2.5k multiple times. For some reason our cars are really hard to burp, I had to do this while releasing the relief valve 6-7 times to get rid of the "waterfall behind my dash" noise.

The following 2 users liked this post by a471133:
TarZan (10-05-2023), tiguy99 (03-13-2021)
Old 05-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I burp the engine. I have he thermostat outnow and ready to put the new one in

Old 05-19-2012, 05:18 PM
I just took the old thermostat out now before I put the new one in I need to know how to burp the engine. Help please

Old 05-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Well I started it back up and it is still overheating. The top hose is extremely hot and is hissing

Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
You don't want to burp/bleed the system until everything's back together. With the motor cold, take off the radiator cap, start the car and let it warm up. Check the coolant overflow tank to make sure it's between full and empty and fill the radiator through a funnel slowly if it needs more fluid. Then hit the bleeder screw mentioned earlier in the thread, opening it slowly to let any trapped air out of there until coolant comes out in a steady flow with no air bubbles.

Tighten the bleeder screw, put the rad cap back on, and check your results. For the next couple of days, check the level of the coolant in the overflow tank and radiator when the car's cold and fill if necessary. Then you should be good to go.

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (03-13-2021)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 PM
I just posted another thread on this problem. I guess it is just a PITA to get all the air out of the system. I have drained and filled it twice! put on a new T-stat. Still heater only works in short bursts and the car is running really hot at hwy speeds. I pray that it is just air, other wise I made an expensive mistake buying this car. That being said, it all worked great until I had a local mechanic drain and fill the coolant system :/

Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
You should be fine - typically its just air. You know you are where you want to be when you have a hot LOWER hose and heat comes from the air vents. Make sure to put the heat at 90* and fan can be on any speed 1-5.

The following users liked this post:
Dwoodson (03-27-2013)
Old 03-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just replaced my radiator with a mishomoto and everything went well no leaks but when I took it for a spin and it started overheating. It didn't do the bleeder screw but I guess I will have to and also buy the spill free funnel

Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Definitely still air in the system.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:19 AM
I replaced my radiator and still over heating. What do I need to bleed the air release valve?

Old 06-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrbrooks7826
I replaced my radiator and still over heating. What do I need to bleed the air release valve?
Time, patience, and a spill free funnel. I don't mess with that air valve it split in half once and shot warm coolant all over my face and upper body.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Why does this keep happening?

Still trying to understand why this happens?! Already happened to me twice, did a pressure test and no leaks found. Bleeding it always resolves it. Can this still be a Head Gasket issue?

Old 02-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Day 3 ... what next

just like everyone else i'm having a "no heat in lower hose" problem (replaced thermostat with Gates brand) but that is my only problem. i got hot air in the cabin and both my fans are turning on low then ramp up to full speed when my car gets quite hot. Note: also replaced my ECT due to rough/ random misfire while cold (fixed). i've bled the coolant system multiple times with the spill free funnel and also front end in the air 2.5 feet. i'm pretty damn sure there is no longer air in the system Talking with the other mech in the shop at work, he was thinking it may be a faulty water pump (doesn't look fun to do) or a plugged up OEM rad. i hate throwing parts at ir.

When you guys are burping the system with the spill free funnel and rev the motor, does your coolant level in the funnel drop a bit from the initial revs?? like an inch or so?? Mine is not and i'm thinking my pump is not moving coolant enough. Would i still get some sorta heat in the lower hose IF the radiator was clear/flowing and thermostat open? She's my DD and i need to get her running happily again.

FIXED!!!! Replaced aftermarket thermostat with OEM from Nissan. If anyone is looking our OEM thermostats open at 170degrees F

Last edited by AutoX Junkie05; 02-13-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:13 AM
I'm having overheating problems on my 04 coupe. Coolant one day just drained out and radiator blew. I changed thermostat, radiator, and water pump. Top hose from radiator heats but bottom one stays cold. I have bleed it with a spill free funnel and still no help. It does not overheat on the spot but once I drive it for 5 min. Any one have some advise?

Old 09-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Try bleeding it again... Use the tip by blue dream post on "You don't want to burp/bleed the system until everything's back together. With the motor cold, take off the radiator cap, start the car and let it warm up. Check the coolant overflow tank to make sure it's between full and empty and fill the radiator through a funnel slowly if it needs more fluid. Then hit the bleeder screw mentioned earlier in the thread, opening it slowly to let any trapped air out of there until coolant comes out in a steady flow with no air bubbles.

Tighten the bleeder screw, put the rad cap back on, and check your results. For the next couple of days, check the level of the coolant in the overflow tank and radiator when the car's cold and fill if necessary. Then you should be good to go."

If all else fails do an engine pressure test for leaks or head gasket problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Overheating mystery, need some help