Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Slow crank, now car won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Slow crank, now car won't start

Hey guys so for the past few days I noticed the crank was weak and slow when trying to start the car. Today before I left home I noticed the crank was really weak but it still started. I shut the engine down without driving and tried to restart to make sure I wouldn't be stranded anywhere. It didn't even crank, it made 1 click and that was it. I tried boosting just to eliminate a variable even though I knew it probably wasn;t my battery. Ran a multimeter to the batter and got 12.6 volts. Could it just be the starter needs replacing? I know there was a misfire in cylinder 4 that triggers my CEL intermittently (the dealer pulled that code about a month ago) I'm probably going to replace the starter myself tomorrow morning but was wondering if there's anything else I should take a look at, Thanks for the help in advanvce. Forgot to mention, the car is a 2003 sedan doggy door.

update, went out for a smoke and tried to crank the car again. it was a real slow crank that lead to nothing. tried to start car again and all I got was 1 click

Old 10-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
i had to go through this recently. i had a long cranking time as well as extremely weak performance while driving. Replaced all of my cam/crank sensors first. Made sure it wasnt the starter solenoid/battery. It ended up being the fuel pump. Got one for $15 off ebay and car is running like new.

in these cases the issue is always tied to either a weak spark, a sensor issue, or a fuel delivery issue.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually gambled on it being the starter because it was only making 1 click and stopped cranking altogether. An hour later the problem was solved but the anxiety I had just before turning the key to see if my gamble was right was pretty strong

Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by G35xChicago
i had to go through this recently. i had a long cranking time as well as extremely weak performance while driving. Replaced all of my cam/crank sensors first. Made sure it wasnt the starter solenoid/battery. It ended up being the fuel pump. Got one for $15 off ebay and car is running like new.

in these cases the issue is always tied to either a weak spark, a sensor issue, or a fuel delivery issue.
How hard was it to replace the fuel pump. I think my fuel pump is bad. I just replaced my starter bc it was shot, but now my car is still cranking slow and the dinginess will shutter sometimes or it won't turn.