Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

P1283 - Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 (Bank 2) lean shift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by IvoryPearl07G
Any risk of clearing an UpRev reflash by doing this?
Definitely not.I always hear about my buddies with subarus losing their tunes... I'm here like that sucks bro aha.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Originally Posted by yosip1115
I'm willing to try... What does this do to correct the problem? Reset long term fuel trims? I'll go do it now and report how many miles it takes for my CEL to come back hahaah.
I had the same questions when he told me this, it will not effect uprev tune..i figured it was worth putting it in here when he told me he'd driven 100 miles

Last edited by JaE35; 02-11-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaE35
So one of the guys from the facebook groups has been battling this issue as well and ended up taking his car to the dealer.

They told him to pull 2 fuses for 10 mins which appeared to resolve the problem off of what he's saying.

He's reported no more CEL after 100 miles.

In quote: "Those of you who are having the issue with code p1283 I have figured it out!

Originally thinking it was an o2 issue I replaced them. Code was still present so I checked for vacuum leaks exhaust leaks etc. nothing I cleaned maf and car was performing better. Code came back. Then I thought my ECM was going bad? Did a little research and I mean a lot by that talking with nissan and infiniti. They said just reset code. Well I did the obd2 reset didn't work I did the pedal reset didn't work and I did the battery reset didn't work. Come to find out the ECM has 2 fuses one under good by battery and one in driver side fuse box. PULL THEM BOTH FOR 10min and then codes are gone. (Remember the o2 was replaced) needless to say my cars power is back drove over 100mi and no codes. The ECM must be fully reset to clear this code. It worked gas mpg is back power and performance is back and I am finally code free after a few months. Hope this helps everyone else with this problem"
Has this helped you with your code? I installed test pipes on my car and about 20 miles later I get the code P1283, which never came up before so i'm guessing it's test pipe related. I can't find any exhaust leaks.

Wondering if I might have bad gas and that's why it's running lean(gf filled up car at fred meyers) or if I should just put the stock cats back on until I can get my car tuned.

Only other mod my car has is a takeda intake

Last edited by Limited; 02-26-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:23 AM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Limited
I installed test pipes on my car and about 20 miles later I get the code P1283, which never came up before so i'm guessing it's test pipe related. I can't find any exhaust leaks.

Wondering if I might have bad gas and that's why it's running lean(gf filled up car at fred meyers) or if I should just put the stock cats back on until I can get my car tuned.

Only other mod my car has is a takeda intake
bad gas will not cause you to run lean. That code is probably caused by (in order of probability) you damaging the O2 sensor during the install, having an exhaust leak, or running lean. When you get tuned (either on the dyno or with datalogs) it'll be alot easier to figure out what the issue is..

Old 02-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by seymore4
bad gas will not cause you to run lean. That code is probably caused by (in order of probability) you damaging the O2 sensor during the install, having an exhaust leak, or running lean. When you get tuned (either on the dyno or with datalogs) it'll be alot easier to figure out what the issue is..
I never touched the primary(pre-cat) sensors. I just unbolted the cats from headers and put test pipes in. I never had this issue before so I'm sure this can rule out the primary sensors. I guess I'm just running lean since I don't have any exhaust leaks at idle

Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 PM

G35 Sedan
Probably just running lean

Old 02-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Premier Member

Probably just running lean
typically the codes don't come back that quick from just running lean, but it is possible

Old 02-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Limited
I never had this issue before so I'm sure this can rule out the primary sensors.
well I guess you solved your problem then. Good luck. I only post what I've seen from my own personal experience...

Old 02-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Well I put the stock cats back on and about 40 miles later, the lights pops right back on. Same code.
I still can't hear any leaks from underneath. I'm pretty stumped since I only pulled the cats off and never touched the primary o2 sensors.

I'm hoping there's a slight leak that i maybe can't find and that I might just need new gaskets although mine seemed to be in pretty good shape. How major does the leak have to be?

Old 04-29-2014, 02:45 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by seymore4
Certainly wouldn't expect to find an exhaust leak there...

ding ding ding ding ding
Okay so before I was getting the P1273 code because it was my megan racing test pipes leaking. So since then I bought V2 Art pipes and got a osiris tune and the code was gone.

After a exactly a month since the tune I got another check engine light and found out it was P1283 now so the other side lol.

Any ideas? I am thinking now it might be O2 sensors, but a lot people tried changing that and still throw the code.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by izzueeek
Any ideas? I am thinking now it might be O2 sensors, but a lot people tried changing that and still throw the code.
What someone else did does not impact how it will work for you. Swap the sensors left to right and see if the code changes sides. Then you'll know if the sensor is bad or not.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 AM

G35 Sedan
My car still throws these codes..tune is on the money and I get 24MPG. Thank you seymore for turning them off in uprev lol

Old 04-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
My car still throws these codes..tune is on the money and I get 24MPG. Thank you seymore for turning them off in uprev lol
That was my solution from my tuner. Doesn't bother me that i took the easy way out. Delete the code and be done. My tune is on the money, i had the tuner recheck everything. It wasn't any obvious exhaust leak. If i had a oxygen sensor starting to fail, it hasn't failed yet since i started this thread.

The following users liked this post:
JaE35 (04-29-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Theres some good info here, and i have a similar question related to O2 sensor, one of my O2's read 1.3V on full decel, while the other only goes as high as .8V or .9V i have ordered a new sensor to replace the one reading 1.3V as those are supposed to be 1V sensors im assuming that sensor was cooked with the Cat on that side was plugged up, i have gone to HFC and all my other issues are gone.

one this that i find odd is that usually the higher o2 volts usually means you have a rich mix, so why under complete decel (0% throttle) does it read rich? is this a nissan thing? or is there another problem?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:27 PM
I installed art pipes 300 miles ago and have had no issues until this morning, I was sitting in a drive thru line and smelled gas and exhaust and this code popped up. I got to work and cleared it, drove home after work and turned the car off, once I drove it again the cel came back.

I installed the art pipes because I got a cel for the cats (I THINK bank 2 but I can't remember now). Should I pull the fuses first and see if it comes back? I know you can develop an exhaust leak, but if I had one from "improper" install would the cel have come up before 300 miles? Also, I had the p1283 and p1283(pd/pending). My car has 97k, 04 6mt coupe.

Could the art pipes being installed without adjusting the tables/learning cause the cel? Could the cel for the cat that I got before the art pipe install have something to do with the primary o2 starting to fail? Etc etc.... Sorry, I'm just getting annoyed, I "fix" one thing and something else goes wrong, and I've spent over $2k over the past month on this car in parts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: P1283 - Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 (Bank 2) lean shift