Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

P0011 Code Help - '03 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Ozz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0011 Code Help - '03 5AT

I've exhausted the search and have been chasing this around far, far too long. I give up and have to start a thread for myself.

A month or so ago I threw a P0011 code. As many are well aware, the description from the code is:

"Intake Valve Timing (IVT) Control Performance Bank 1
Probable cause: crankshaft position sensor failure - check other codes first
Camshaft position sensor failure - check other codes first"

Now, my Bank 2 cam sensor is new and was changed last season when I threw the code for it. The car's been great since that happened.

There are NO other codes to check "first" so P0011 is the only one I have to work on. I figured it'd be a snap, I'd buy the Bank 1 cam sensor and swap it out. That did not fix the problem. I then bought a new crank sensor and that as well did not fix the problem.

I've cleared the SES light after each install but it keeps coming back.

In all my searching on here, the only confirmed fixes I can people have come up with for this problem are what I've already done. One person has referenced a "DCT solenoid" as in this thread, but for the life of me I can't figure out what he's talking about so I can find the replacement part and test that idea.

I would've bumped that old thread but I don't know if people hate old threads getting bumped, so I didn't give it a go.

Anyone have any suggestions (aside from taking it to Infiniti/Nissan )

Old 11-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Ozz
TTT

I've changed the oil. Changed the bank 1 cam sensor. Changed the crank sensor. Finally changed the RH pass. Side air solenoid sensor/valve piece. Nothing fixed this. What the heck can i look to at this point? This is ridiculous.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Ozz
Nobody, huh? How am I the lucky one that always gets problems nobody has seen

Old 12-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
remove your passenger VTC solenoid and clean it with brake cleaner.. connect a 12v source to it and make sure it is functioning. reconnect and see if it throws the code. These solenoids get gunked up and will throw this code

Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ozz - did you figure this out? Did you use Oem cam position sensors or some other aftermarket brand?

I was throwing other codes which had slip, ses, and CDC lights on. Replaced the bank 1 cam pos sensor and fixed but now have P0011. Cleaned the bank 1 solenoid and thought I fixed but ses is back on now. Crank pos sensor looks good and component tests ok. I am now thinking it could be this cheaper cam position sensor I purchased. Am interested to know what you found.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Ozz
Originally Posted by miketyler
Ozz - did you figure this out? Did you use Oem cam position sensors or some other aftermarket brand?

I was throwing other codes which had slip, ses, and CDC lights on. Replaced the bank 1 cam pos sensor and fixed but now have P0011. Cleaned the bank 1 solenoid and thought I fixed but ses is back on now. Crank pos sensor looks good and component tests ok. I am now thinking it could be this cheaper cam position sensor I purchased. Am interested to know what you found.
Unfortunately I never did. My car became my weekend driver so I've been driving less, and not worrying as much. One of these days I'm just going to bring it in to be looked at, bite the bullet, and get it taken care of. After replacing every sensor, changing the oil, and resetting the SES so many times I've got to give up. My excess of time vs. money has been swapped, so it'll be easier for me to have it taken care of. Whenever I do find the time to have that handled, I'll report my findings here in hopes to help others.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ozz- thanks for the response. One last question, did you use oem replacement parts when you replaced bank 1 and 2 cam position sensors? This has been the point of some contention and it may be an issue for me since I did buy one of those 3rdparty sensors.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Ozz
Originally Posted by miketyler
Ozz- thanks for the response. One last question, did you use oem replacement parts when you replaced bank 1 and 2 cam position sensors? This has been the point of some contention and it may be an issue for me since I did buy one of those 3rdparty sensors.
Yes, all sensors I used were OEM.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Ozz
Bringing this back up - had another issue and regrettably had to bring the car into the dealer. Anyway, while there they pulled codes and found my O2 sensors in need of replacement. The P0011 code was gone, so it seems my replacement of the usual sensors did fix the problem and I was unsuccessful in clearing the code from memory. I told them of the history, what I did, etc., and all they pulled were whatever the codes are for the O2 sensors.