Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Swap vq's z to g35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SMG_G35
I have a 05 g35 coupe had a revup motor and the motor blew. So I picked up a motor from an 04 350z motor trans harness and ecu. So I swapped everything in my g and the car won't start. The z motor was running when I pulled it out. There no spark or fuel and I've went back and forth with the ecu's nothing. I've checked all the fuses and everything is connected. Car still won't start. Anybody have any idea?? Lmk thanks!
Ancient thread, but on the off chance that you (or anyone knowledgeable) reads this:

Were you able to resolve this? I’m fighting a similar issue. Alarm light (red one on the dash to the left of the instrument cluster) is on and not flashing with the key in the “ON” position. No power to the OBD port, but the cigarette lighter has power.

With the ECU from the 350Z, no power to the ignition coil harness connectors. With the (original, matches my keys) ECU, power to the coil harness but only 1.3V. Shouldn’t it be around 12? No spark in any case.

All the interior stuff - nav, dash lights, etc. - works. I’d chalk this up to anti theft, but since the OBD port isn’t getting power, scanners and diagnostic tools can’t connect.

Car was sitting for nearly two years. I’m about to go probe the ECU connector to check power and grounds.

If anyone has any suggestions, please speak up!

Old 11-19-2017, 11:25 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you downgrade from the revup to the non-rev motor you have to rewire the ECU harness because the pin layout isn't the same. Snag both FSM's and compare the harnesses you'll see.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Thanks. I have the FSM for my 06, looking for the one for the 05 350Z. I'm guessing that it should be the same as the 04 G35, hopefully. Looking forward to rewiring a 150-ish pin harness connector. :/

The funny thing is that, even with the computer that came with this engine and harness - JDM from an 05 350Z - , there's no power to the OBD port. I'm tracing through the wiring diagrams, still trying to figure out which fuse is for what in the fuse and relay block behind the battery.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:28 PM
And, now looking at the harnesses in the passenger compartment and connections to the engine harness, I see they're VERY different. This'll be fun.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:58 PM
After a little more research and crawling all over the car: I'm wondering if it makes more sense to swap out the wiring harness on this engine - replace it with the one from the rev-up. I'm building a map of which wires need to be moved, and it's non-trivial, to put it lightly.

But, getting the harness off with the engine in the car might also be non-trivial. Now, where'd my flashlight go...

And, then there's the issue of how the ECU will deal with not being able to talk to the missing VVT components. I found this thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...non-revup.html

Which indicates that the car will run, but will throw a CEL. I'm okay with that. The other harness would also give me back the variable-assist steering that's missing from the 350Z harness, and I wouldn't have to worry about the antitheft BS and getting keys reprogrammed. There's also no guarantee that there's a 1:1 relationship between the Z harness and the G harness. The smaller of the two white connectors in the passenger foot well has quite a few more lines going to it on the G harness...

Guess I better get started.

I'd love to hear from anyone that's done this before.

Last edited by raygun; 11-19-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:28 PM
In case anyone else winds up trying this:

I wound up using the G35 engine harness, 350Z ECM and (duh) 350Z non-rev motor. I didn’t have to splice the harness at all, though there are four extra connectors I had to protect against the elements. They’re for the rev-up VVT sensors and actuators that aren’t present on the donor engine. I had planned to use the G35 ECM, but I think I fried it at some point. Shrug.

I had to reprogram the ECM due to NATS. I did this with a VAG-K OBD2 cable and Nissan DataScan (NDS) software. (About $50 if I remember correctly, much cheaper than a trip to the dealer!) On your BCM - driver’s side footwell near the dead pedal - there is a 5-digit hex code labeled ‘PIN code’. There are a number of apps available that will convert that code to a 4-digit code that NDS needs to reprogram the car. I found a free web-based tool (http://keytechtools.com/bcmcodes/index.php). If that tool isn’t available, worst case is you pay someone on justAnswer to decode it for you.

The only real issue was that my car has 6-wire wideband downstream O2 sensors, while the donor engine had 4-wire narrow band sensors. I just swapped the wide bands over to the new engine and, oddly enough, the 350Z ECM reads them just fine. I’m a software guy; I’m not surprised the ECM *can* do that, more shocked that it *does* without modifications.

I have a CEL due to the missing VVT components, but I’m not super-worried about it. Car runs fine, no noticeable power difference.

So, to all those that said you can’t replace a rev-up with a non-rev VQ:

Well, you can.

Also: the NDS software is *awesome.* Being able to do things like deactivate individual cylinders (for testing spark and fuel), see the output of basically every sensor on the car, etc. is incredibly helpful when debugging the car. I’d say it’s as good, or better than, HP Tuners (for my other GM car), and about 1/10th the price. It's not as capable as a real Consult II, but it did everything I needed for this swap.

Last edited by raygun; 03-11-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Added a note about NDS
The following users liked this post:
StrtScne_254 (03-26-2020)
Old 01-04-2018, 04:55 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You have proven us wrong!

Glad you were able to get everything running again, I hate to see G's turn to dust.

The following users liked this post:
raygun (01-04-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:17 PM
Fun video, first run:

The oil on the driver’s exhaust manifold burned off pretty quickly.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has been very useful! I am currently in the process of putting an '06 G35 Rev Up into a, '04 350z Non Rev Up. Swapping over the engine, harness, and ECM. I have the pins all mapped on the F1, F2, F3, and F102 connectors of what I need to swap around to get the G to map to the Z (the four connectors that the engine wiring harness connects to the rest of the car with). Well, there are still two wires that I am not sure what they do from the G harness. Maybe they are the two wires you mentioned? Not sure.

Anyway, I don't think I will have the luxury of not rewiring connectors since I am putting the Rev Up into a Non Rev Up DE car.

Raygun, were there any other tidbits of knowledge you have that may be useful for me?

Old 10-03-2020, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revup
Year of the ecu?

[QUOTE=raygun;7126682]In case anyone else winds up trying this:

I wound up using the G35 engine harness, 350Z ECM and (duh) 350Z non-rev motor. I didn’t have to splice the harness at all, though there are four extra connectors I had to protect against the elements. They’re for the rev-up VVT sensors and actuators that aren’t present on the donor engine. I had planned to use the G35 ECM, but I think I fried it at some point. Shrug.

I had to reprogram the ECM due to NATS. I did this with a VAG-K OBD2 cable and Nissan DataScan (NDS) software. (About $50 if I remember correctly, much cheaper than a trip to the dealer!) On your BCM - driver’s side footwell near the dead pedal - there is a 5-digit hex code labeled ‘PIN code’. There are a number of apps available that will convert that code to a 4-digit code that NDS needs to reprogram the car. I found a free web-based tool (http://keytechtools.com/bcmcodes/index.php). If that tool isn’t available, worst case is you pay someone on justAnswer to decode it for you.

The only real issue was that my car has 6-wire wideband downstream O2 sensors, while the donor engine had 4-wire narrow band sensors. I just swapped the wide bands over to the new engine and, oddly enough, the 350Z ECM reads them just fine. I’m a software guy; I’m not surprised the ECM *can* do that, more shocked that it *does* without modifications.

I have a CEL due to the missing VVT components, but I’m not super-worried about it. Car runs fine, no noticeable power difference.

So, to all those that said you can’t replace a rev-up with a non-rev VQ:

Well, you can.

Also: the NDS software is *awesome.* Being able to do things like deactivate individual cylinders (for testing spark and fuel), see the output of basically every sensor on the car, etc. is incredibly helpful when debugging the car. I’d say it’s as good, or better than, HP Tuners (for my other GM car), and about 1/10th the price. It's not as capable as a real Consult II, but it did everything I needed for this swap.[/QUOTES

What year is the ECM you used?