Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Swap vq's z to g35

Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swap vq's z to g35

I have a 05 g35 coupe had a revup motor and the motor blew. So I picked up a motor from an 04 350z motor trans harness and ecu. So I swapped everything in my g and the car won't start. The z motor was running when I pulled it out. There no spark or fuel and I've went back and forth with the ecu's nothing. I've checked all the fuses and everything is connected. Car still won't start. Anybody have any idea?? Lmk thanks!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 350z harness is different from the G35 harness, I think there 2 or 3 wires that are extra or something. The ecu need to be reprogram at the dealer so it will work with the G35.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
also there is a difference in the engines...you can't replace a revup with a non revup

Old 11-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
^^ that's the issue you're having right there...

Old 11-03-2012, 04:25 AM
So there's no way the motor will work with my g35?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 AM
I've been told to remove the NATS would this be the only cause of it not starting? I've gone back and forth with the ecu's and recently changed it to the g35 harness with no luck. Any help lmk

Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by SMG_G35
I've been told to remove the NATS would this be the only cause of it not starting? I've gone back and forth with the ecu's and recently changed it to the g35 harness with no luck. Any help lmk
NATS is the theft system. Like I say the 350z ecu will be needed to be reprogram at the dealer with your keys. The car will not start if it not done. Call your dealer, I think all you need is your old ecu, new ecu and your key so they can program it.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
^^ Common for the NATS to disable start up - it will not recognize the key and will prevent a start

Old 11-11-2012, 04:36 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
The red security light will be stuck on if it's a NATS issue, r u positive it's the same motor? Rev up and rev up?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM
OP said he had a rev up blew it and replace it with a 04 with tranny, harness and ecu. Even thought he replace it with a non rev up the 04 motor+tranny, harness and ecu should all plug up. The car have an immobilizer I'm sure of it so it will not let the car start up. If the NATS is on, the red light on the dash should be blinking. Like I said from my previous post it likely the ecu which need to be reprogram since it not the same ecu.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Premier Member

Received 417 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by tle.88
OP said he had a rev up blew it and replace it with a 04 with tranny, harness and ecu. Even thought he replace it with a non rev up the 04 motor+tranny, harness and ecu should all plug up. The car have an immobilizer I'm sure of it so it will not let the car start up. If the NATS is on, the red light on the dash should be blinking. Like I said from my previous post it likely the ecu which need to be reprogram since it not the same ecu.
You can disable nats with an osiris reflash, and you'll also be able to tune the car.. much better option than paying the dealer $$$$$ to reprogram keys

Old 11-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Thought only pro tuners could disable nats? Which is fine- just don't expect to do it with a cable alone. Or am I wrong?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 AM
Premier Member

Received 417 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Thought only pro tuners could disable nats? Which is fine- just don't expect to do it with a cable alone. Or am I wrong?
True, only the uprev authorized protuner shop cables can disable nats. But once it is disabled in the rom it will remain disabled for whoever else uses it, so you just have to specify that you need it disabled when you purchase the cable/license etc.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complex Electrical Question

Alright. I am reaching out to this thread in pure desperation. SOMEONE HAS to know the answer to my question. Here we go... Swapped a built 06 revup 350z engine into my non-revup coupe (yes I know you 'cant' do that-but you can so save it), car currently has the Z harness, an 06 z ECU, and a Utec (which should totally eliminate the up rev/nonuprev nonsense from what I have read). I took the car down to get a tune (from an extremely legitimate place), little did I know the dash lights (and a couple other small related things do not power. They did an electrical test on each and every fuse and wire in the car to see if that was the reason the dash lights did not get any power- nothing. Suggested that I go back to my non uprev original harness and ECU? (not sure if I agree). I also contacted a few other sources and the only thing that I was suggested to get was an IPDM from an 06 Z to match the electrical setup. I have no idea if any of this is correct or not but I am totally baffled as to what I should do to give the dash lights power and allow the key to turn over. Here are some other indicators that may help... my headlights work, my seats work, my alarm light has been replaced with a timing light for an injection module that I have. I still have the original harness and ECU in my possession... but long story short-this is way over my head and many others, and I challenge ANYONE to pinpoint the answer to this question you would save me thousands of dollars. I am honestly about to offer a reward for the solution after its working. Thanks.

Problem Briefing: uprev/nonuprev harness swap? ECU swap? Uprev to non uprev conversion...

Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 93Tillinfiniti
Alright. I am reaching out to this thread in pure desperation. SOMEONE HAS to know the answer to my question. Here we go... Swapped a built 06 revup 350z engine into my non-revup coupe (yes I know you 'cant' do that-but you can so save it), car currently has the Z harness, an 06 z ECU, and a Utec (which should totally eliminate the up rev/nonuprev nonsense from what I have read). I took the car down to get a tune (from an extremely legitimate place), little did I know the dash lights (and a couple other small related things do not power. They did an electrical test on each and every fuse and wire in the car to see if that was the reason the dash lights did not get any power- nothing. Suggested that I go back to my non uprev original harness and ECU? (not sure if I agree). I also contacted a few other sources and the only thing that I was suggested to get was an IPDM from an 06 Z to match the electrical setup. I have no idea if any of this is correct or not but I am totally baffled as to what I should do to give the dash lights power and allow the key to turn over. Here are some other indicators that may help... my headlights work, my seats work, my alarm light has been replaced with a timing light for an injection module that I have. I still have the original harness and ECU in my possession... but long story short-this is way over my head and many others, and I challenge ANYONE to pinpoint the answer to this question you would save me thousands of dollars. I am honestly about to offer a reward for the solution after its working. Thanks.

Problem Briefing: uprev/nonuprev harness swap? ECU swap? Uprev to non uprev conversion...
I hope I can offer some enlightenment. more info on your part would be appreciated. when you refer to the z harness are you strictly talking about the engine harness for the motor? is the car starting and running and just not your dash lights?

if it is running it is most likely the piggy back that is installed, let me explain further

I am doing a similar swap, a 06 rev up G engine into an 03 non rev Z chassis.
everything is a direct bolt up and plug in minus the o2 sensors in the cat. because things plug in together does not mean they are wired correctly! there are 3 plugs from the engine harness that have to be repinned or spliced into the chassis harness,

connector names are f1 f2 and f3, along with about half of the large white connector (this is most of your ECU to Body communication) next to the ecu plug on the engine harness has to be rearranged as well. After going through both factory service manuals about 6 times front to back each will you be able to create a 'map' to figure out where each of these wires go. ill let you in on a few other differences that i'm not sure if its rev up vs non rev specific or z to g specific.

oil pressure sensors are different in order for the factory gauge to work youll have to wire in the original one not using the engine harness, just making your own wiring if you still have the pig tail available, if not some small blade connectors and a lot of liquid tape work, reason being is the way the signal is interpreted. my chassis is a 1 wire set up which measures strictly resistance while the rev up is a 3 wire set up which is processed by a triple meter.

next is the throttle control motor and relay, the FSM is kind of confusing as some of the diagrams are not the same but just rack your brain to see what wires are hot when.

also on my rev up engine the ac compressor has 2 extra wires my old harness did not, not sure how this will affect it but i can always swap the old one back

there are 4 different computers/componets in the car that all have to be coded to the vin to tell the ECU to turn on, I plan to just get NATS removed via OSIRIS to go around this as it will be neccessary when I go FI anyway. if there is anyway I can help let me know. My car sat for over a year because no one had the answer I was looking for.. finally just decided to try it my way and things are definitely looking up. waiting to get me car back from the fab shop and then I'm going to finish the wiring and off to UMS tuning here in AZ

im sure there is quite a bit im forgetting but any questions let me know

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Swap vq's z to g35