Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Just starting out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just starting out!

Okay! Here we go, i have a 2004 infiniti g35x sedan, are these engine upgrades good? I wanna go fast! I have a straight pipe from stock cats to the rear stock muffler, but i wanna buy a Jwt popcharger cold air intake, motordyne 5/16 plenum spacers, mrev2, high flow fuel injectors, high flow mass air flow sensor, and a osiris uprev tune... Will i be reaching my goal of making my car faster? Is their something im missing? Or will i b waisting money on all this? Also should i get a good cat back? I love my sound now but dont wanna spend over 500$ on a catback, ive had a very hard time finding information for all of this, so thank you in advance!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
I'm going to try to be as polite as possible here because I've had to re-write this response 3 times and each one is really, really sharp and while very funny to me would probably offend someone.

First of all... you're going to need to do better than "I wanna go fast bra!" You're also going to need to expand on the whole "will I be reaching my goal of making my car faster?"

The short version is you're going to be wasting your money and it's time to go do some more research in THIS forum. Some of those parts might help- but any talk of high flow injectors and high flow MAF to help support a spacer and a pop charger and GOOD 500 dollar catbacks... yikes.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 AM
Very true, but! Not everything has to be so serious man! But yes i would like to see some serious gains in my cars acceleration, i was thinking of going, Unorthodox racing crank pully, jwt Popcharger W/ Z-tube, Mrev2 ,Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacers for the first upgrades, then uprev, osiris MAF GT, and Osiris injectors last. But ive been looking, and i cant really find what im looking for as in gains for everything combined!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM
Eno
All I can say is that you will be left wanting.

With what you have listed up there- you MIGHT squeeze out 25hp and half of your list either doesn't exist or isn't needed. If you're an AT (assuming)... probably less and if you're an AWD maybe even less. No need for MAF GT... Don't know what osiris injectors are. Osiris tune... that's the best thing in your list.

Drop in K+N filter- maybe high flow cone style- no need for Mrev 2 on non-revup which I'm assuming you are given you're an 04.

Decent catback, HFC or TPs, that spacer is good, better filter... Z-tube... tune.

On an 04 AWD you MIGHTdyno at 240-250. No need for bigger injectors- you can't get enough air to use them without FI. No need for MAF GT... not until 400hp and you ain't going there so scrub that from your mission.

Instead of blasting out a couple hundred for Mrev 2 and 400 or so for the MAF GT how about you go spend some decent money on a good quality exhaust.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
Listen to ITNKICN, he is an FI guru haven gone through one of the best TT builds this forum has ever seen and gaining all the knowledge needed to constantly make it better along the way. You don't need half of that stuff if you plan on staying N/A. Get HFCs or Test Pipes, they will give you the most bang for your buck. Then MD 5/16, Z-Tube and a performance filter. Get a REAL true dual exhaust. I found my AAM true dual on Craigslist for a great price so 600 isn't that crazy of an idea but you have to be patient and know what you're looking for. Headers will help but I personally don't think the cost of them plus the install is worth it for such minimal gains. I recommend an aluminum drive shaft if that's even available for an X model. Finally, get your Osiris tune. If you are 5AT I suggest a TransGo shift kit as it was easily the best mod I ever did on my previous G coupe. With all that being said you can spend upwards of 4K and only gain 30-40whp... Is that worth it to you?

The following users liked this post:
Eno (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You're getting way ahead of yourself along with making useless changes. Motordynes spacer is a great mod, you do not need the MREV2! Intakes won't give you RWHP but they do change the sound of your motor. So you don't lose HP stay away from the pop charger and just get a Z-Tube and K&N drop in filter to increase air flow....this is all you need. Save your $$ and get a quality cat-back exhaust, doing anything else to your OE system is a waste with the exception of HFCs. (high flow cats) Once all your breather mods are completed the Osiris tune is a good idea! All the other mods you listed are worthless....air sensor & injectors. Spend that $$ on maintenance and quality synthetic oil and filters, changed frequently....Gary

Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Alright cool, thanks guys! That saves me A LOT of money, i was just basing all that off of what i have heard on other peoples threads, what are your guys's thoughts on the Unorthodox racing crank pully? Makes perfect sense in my head, since im looking strickly for low end acceleration

Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by CleanG35x
Alright cool, thanks guys! That saves me A LOT of money, i was just basing all that off of what i have heard on other peoples threads, what are your guys's thoughts on the Unorthodox racing crank pully? Makes perfect sense in my head, since im looking strickly for low end acceleration
Just another mod....^....that has the possibility of causing you more issues than they're worth!
Gary

Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Eno
^ that's all I've ever heard too. Also credit to Azu for mentioning the transgo- it'll eat up the other money saved but it was by far the best mod I did for the AT.

Also I saw headers up there but unless you're doing cam / head work they're not a viable mod for the cost (as Azu states).

Last edited by Eno; 01-06-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
what are your guys's thoughts on the Unorthodox racing crank pully?
NOOO!! On those friggn pullies... Nope, nodda, never again.... Had one about 5-6 years ago and the thing SUCKED, developed a wobble and thru my crank out of balance. Learn from our mistakes and DON'T make the same ones.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Ok thank you a lot guys! Very helpful, but I saw a new intake plenum? Would that be good get also?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok thank you a lot guys! Very helpful, but I saw a new intake plenum? Would that be good get also?
No not really... Mostly for 'looks' really as the original one, although not to pretty, was well designed and you don't gain much from a new one and may actually lose low end torque. Only thing that actually shows decent gains are the spacers you can add to the plenum... Unless you go FI that is, once you go FI then some of the plenums can show gains in the upper RPM bands like the Cosworth... But as stated it can also at the same time show a slight drop in low and midrange TQ.

The following users liked this post:
Eno (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Eno
^ That.

Few (none) of the plenum "upgrades" add any performance outside of subjective- In fact though I went the cosie route a lot of guys who knew what they were talking about said that wouldn't result in the gains I was expecting even while FI. It certainly didn't hurt and I prefered the look- so I went that route anyway but NOT for performance. That was a 1000 dollar decision, I might add- that likely resulted in no benefit in terms of performance.

By the time you're done wasting money on stuff that "looks nice" and doesn't add anything to your goal of "making my car fast," other items (suspension / wheel / tire / brake upgrades) will be left uncooked.

At this point you need to make a decision. Do you want to "go fast" or "look good." Function or Form... because to upgrade BOTH at the same time is EXTREMELY expensive and time consuming and will frequently result in half baked results in both cases.

Believe me- I made this exact mistake and wouldn't recommend it.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Well, i already have the enkie rims and new tires i wanted, i just need new springs to lower it, and then im done with form so i will stay away from the new plenum, but buy the z tube and k&n , plenum spacers, and a uprev tune, also i want to find a new catback ( you guys all convinced me ) so ill checkout the brands you listed, some guy has a magnaflow duel muffler for sale, 400$ but i would have to mod it and stuff, and would straight pipe from the cats back, so i might pass on it, also the brand Topspeed, someone posted a catback by them for around $300, i have this feeling that its awful? Or am i wrong, but thanks for all the previous help everyone!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 AM
OH and would a straight pipe from the cats all the way back be bad for performance? I feel like ot would be, but im not entirely sure

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just starting out!