Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Same problem - new day - AT Controller Fuse?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same problem - new day - AT Controller Fuse?

Hi All -

About 2 years ago my 2004G35x would not start - no crank - no click nothing but definitely has power. The symptoms - the check AT light and check engine light came on backing out of garage - turned car off - now will not start. The gear indicator on the dash is blank - Not displaying anything (P - R - N - D or Gear) no matter what position the shifter is in. Gear shift moves and puts the car in the gear - definitely in park or Neutral.

I had this same exact issue 2-3 years ago - it was a blown fuse for the Automatic transmission controller. I had to have it towed to Infiniti and and have them fix it - they just changed the fuse - I'd rather fix myself.

I checked all fuses in the box under the hood by the battery and all in the drivers side kick panel box - all check good with a voltmeter on continuity check.

Is there another fuse someplace I am missing? Where is the AT controller? Does it have a fuse?

I thought for sure I would find something blown.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Jeff

Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Well I am going to button back up all the trim and have it towed in today. Hopefully this will be a cheap fix... yeah... right.

I'll try and get details of where / what this fuse is provided it is the same problem as last time which is truly what I hope.

Later - thanks for taking a peek those who did -

Old 02-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Fuse is in the IPDM - the IPDM is behind the battery - under a cover, the battery cover and door have to be removed - then the cowl (between windshield and hood) has to be removed - then the IPDM cover can be pulled straight up.

The fuse is the 3rd 10amp fuse on the right side.

I replace it - it blows when shifting from park into one of the gears.

It was blowing constantly (after every gear change) when it was super wet here.

I had a mouse nesting on top of the cabin air filter (the inlet is in that same area) - you can see right in there with the cowl off - I am thinking the mouse may have gnawed at a wire and its grounding out? something is definitely shorting as soon as that change gear signal is sent to the transmission controller. Either that or a loose connector?

I plan on pulling the battery and going through the wires - its a big bundle tomorrow when its 40 degrees here

Hope I find something -

Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
SOLVED - Weird problem

Solved - too weird -

A short someplace in the reverse lamp circuit was popping the fuse -

I noticed the fuse only blew when I went into reverse - I bought the 20 pack at Auto zone and just kept trying stuff to see if I could isolate the specific conditions that made it blow - it was into reverse from any other gear / trans position.

I know I was having issues with the reverse lamps as well - they dont come on anymore despite good bulbs.

After looking at the service manual and all related sub-systems I saw the reverse lamps are tied into the TCM as well. I pulled the reverse lamp relay (no power to the reverse lamps now) and I cannot get the fuse to pop anymore.

Now I just have to isolate the broken wire or wires for the reverse lamps.

I am hoping this helps someone else - I can't imagine this is a common problem -

Jeff

Jeff

The following users liked this post:
superchargedg (02-11-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Good info to know, thanks for posting up. Something I can tuck away in case I ever have this issue!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Similar Issue

Last month I was blowing fuses too. Shift lock engaged, no power to compass screen, weird wiper action. Found a short somewhere in the trunk (maybe reverse light or wiring) and replaced the wiring.

Looked like everything was fixed until my alternator died last week. At the shop the guy thought the shorts might have been caused by it over charging before it died as well.

I thought it was fixed but today my check batter and e-brake lights came on and the car started hesitating again (which is what happened right before my car died due to the bad alternator last week). Now I am waiting for shops to open unsure what what's going on.

OP - you seem to know whats going on. Any ideas?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine just blew the at cont fuse again last night. and again this morning. where was the short on the reverse light and how did you find it? this is a major pain in the ***.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM
So in case anyone here like me needed more info as to where the short in the wiring harness is. After ripping all my trunk interior out and checking all that the break was where it was most likely to be in the first place. Where the harness comes out of the trunk in a black rubber sheath right by the passenger side trunk lid hinge. Odds are when ice builds up there or leaves or whatever gets in there the loom gets pushed into the hinge and thus gets damaged. It took about 4 hrs the complete the repair. I loosened the harness a bit to get slack and spliced in a 6 inch extension to all 8 wires and very carefully heat shrunk everything. When reinstalled I had the bulk of the connections in the trunk lid to avoid them moving to much. I also did a tranny filter and fluid change at the same time. Not to bad. Now I just need to get the codes read for my service engine soon light. :/

Old 10-30-2018, 06:12 AM
infiniti g35
Same exact thing and it was the reverse lights

This very same thing happened to me and long story short it was a break in one of my reverse light wires that shorted out, blowing the AT Controller fuse which in return disabled the car completely. If your dash indicator “P R N D” is blank and the AT Check light is on then it’s got to be the same scenario! Hope this helps!

Old 10-15-2021, 11:15 AM
base model coupe
Found the problem

My Automatic Transmission controller fuse kept tripping whenever i put it in reverse. So I checked the reverse light wiring and found that is was ripped. I repaired it, now my fuse doesn’t trip, problem solved. I was getting the code: u1000 and u1001 if you were wondering.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:53 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
U1000 is thrown anytime one of the many computers in the car (like the TCM) isn't communicating to the network.