Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Expansion Hose Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013 | 11:17 PM
|
Expansion Hose Leak

I hear a squealing sound. They kind you get from running over a puddle after a heavy down

pour. ( no fender liners/ under shroud)

Figured it was a car next to me thought nothing of it, hit a red light and stop. When it was

green I hit the pedal and hear the squealing even worse. Than i finally realized it was me

squealing!

Look at my temp gauge it is pegged hot!

Pull over and steam is rising from my car, I can smell the coolant from inside the cabin.

Fuarrkkkk

Its dark and I need to pee, but I am two blocks from home so I just let the car cool down

enough to get home.

Get home and run inside to get a flash light. (its about 9 pm. now) Look for the leak and cant

seem to find it. Check the oil, everything is good. Than i see where the leak is coming from.

The hose going to the expansion tank had chunks missing from it. As if a rat chewed on it.

So my question is, if i replace the faulty hose will I need to bleed the system?

and Will a leaking reservoir hose cause the car to overheat or could it be something else?

Cliffs:
-Car overheats
- Find reservoir hose has holes in it
-Will faulty reservoir hose cause car to overheat?
-

Old 02-16-2013 | 01:47 AM
yea that'll cause it to over heat cuz it's part of the cooling system.
hope you didn't blow a head gasket!!!
replace the hose and see what happens.

Old 02-16-2013 | 02:06 AM
Wings Nation
Premier Member
Since your motor was warm when you parked at home, it likely sucked in air as the coolant in the engine cooled. if the hose was intact, coolant in the expansion tank would have been drawn back into the engine instead of air. no biggie though, you just need to bleed your system now.

when you buy a replacement hose (which should only be a few bucks - you don't need anything special), just remember to pick up some extra coolant and distilled water. you can top off the coolant system using the procedure in the service manual or get one of those Lisle funnels which make it a no brainer.

Old 02-16-2013 | 11:20 AM
|
Originally Posted by JDMswagSerf
yea that'll cause it to over heat cuz it's part of the cooling system.
hope you didn't blow a head gasket!!!
replace the hose and see what happens.
I hopse so too... Im going to change the oil and see if it is milky or any water is present in the drain pan. They should put a buzzer for the temp gauge that beeps when it goes past the halfway mark..

Originally Posted by bigc
Since your motor was warm when you parked at home, it likely sucked in air as the coolant in the engine cooled. if the hose was intact, coolant in the expansion tank would have been drawn back into the engine instead of air. no biggie though, you just need to bleed your system now.

when you buy a replacement hose (which should only be a few bucks - you don't need anything special), just remember to pick up some extra coolant and distilled water. you can top off the coolant system using the procedure in the service manual or get one of those Lisle funnels which make it a no brainer.

You make perfect sense... I must of had a brain malfunction when i made this thread.
Replacing the hose should be no big deal for me. I have the hardest time getting the air out of the system. When I replaced my radiator and hoses, the car would overheat only with the A/C on.. so I had to let the pros blead the air out of the system.

Here is a pic of the bad hose

could be a rat that chewed it out, but im thinking rock or somthing got in the engine bay since i dont have a undershroud

Thanks for the input brothers !
I have a fun little project tonight after work.