Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Camshaft sensor problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Camshaft sensor problem

I've searched for an answer on this and only found one thread with no true answer. SES light is on. 05' 6mt coupe. Was showin code p1078 electronic valve timing sensor, bank 1. Is this telling me I need to replace the camshaft sensor on the passenger side? Can anyone shed some light on this so I can purchase the right part.
Thanks

Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to replace the camshaft position sensor in my g this summer. SES light came on and went to autozone to look up the code. They said that it was the camshaft position sensor, had it in stock at autozone, should be able to get it at pepboy's or something.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to replace mine just few days ago, it was the cause of my car not wanting to fire up. I replaced the driver side sensor, it is the angled one, ( the passanger side is just straight. ) I bought mine at advanced auto, for i think around 58$, wasn't very hard to replace.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jbarag0131
I had to replace the camshaft position sensor in my g this summer. SES light came on and went to autozone to look up the code. They said that it was the camshaft position sensor, had it in stock at autozone, should be able to get it at pepboy's or something.
Had the issue on a previous 3.5 VQ . There are the 2 cam sensors and the crank sensor. I say go ahead and replace all 3. Once the first one fails the others aren't long for this world. I understand they aren't hard to replace, but I pay the pros so i can cuss them out instead of myself when I screw up.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Banned
ok. i have the bank 1 CMP sensor on the way. i will replace that and report back with (hopefully) some good news. idle is around 1000. so a little high

Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Banned
Broken tab camshaft sensor

So I was replacing the sensor today
Passenger side
Pried the green tab off and unfortunately the clip inside broke. I can pull the green tab off the sensor with no resistance. What the best way to keep the green tab in place? A little glue around the edges?
So frustrated with this thing...

Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
So I was replacing the sensor today
Passenger side
Pried the green tab off and unfortunately the clip inside broke. I can pull the green tab off the sensor with no resistance. What the best way to keep the green tab in place? A little glue around the edges?
So frustrated with this thing...
is it the connector tab? the connector locks when you pull tab out towards the wires.

Attached Thumbnails Camshaft sensor problem-passenger-side-g35sensor-connector.jpg  

Last edited by cvipgo; 03-14-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by cvipgo
is it the connector tab? the connector locks when you pull tab out towards the wires.
yeah its the connector tab. the sensor is in and sturdy but the entire green tab can just be pulled off no problem. im worried about it falling off or sliding off while driving.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
yeah its the connector tab. the sensor is in and sturdy but the entire green tab can just be pulled off no problem. im worried about it falling off or sliding off while driving.
you can pull outwards and tape around, but if it's locked - it won't go anywhere. see attached

Attached Thumbnails Camshaft sensor problem-connector-lock.jpg  

Last edited by cvipgo; 03-14-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by cvipgo
you can pull outwards and tape around, but if it's locked - it won't go anywhere. see attached
yeah im gonna try to tape around it. but nothings "locked" . im sorry for explaining this horribly lol. basically the entire green casing is just plugged into the sensor. nothing is keeping locked or clicked in. just hoping the tape will hold. regardless the damn SES light is still on. maybe because i didnt reset the ecu after the install? couldnt get the pedal method down.... everybody thats been throwing these codes has had stalling and power problems. im only seeing an 1100 idle problem..

Old 08-31-2013, 06:25 PM
I dealt with this problem yesterday and today. I searched around, came across this posting yesterday and this thread was about the only information out there oddly enough, so I wanted to report back on my outcome.

I threw the p1078 code yesterday, and the autozone guy wasn't sure which sensor it was. We have two camshaft sensors on each side, one for intake and one for exhaust. Bank 1 is the one I threw, that is passenger side, bank 2 is drivers side. My code was p1078 Exhaust Valve Timing control position sensor Bank 1.

My problem was that no matter how much I searched, no one really knew if the exhaust sensor was in the front or the rear, and exactly where and what part number. So that's why I wanted to post.

The exhaust sensor is a straight sensor for the passenger side, not an angled one. It is located on the back of the engine, and should have a green connector. The BACK of the engine, not the rear side.

I went with the OEM from Nissan and it was $103 including taxes.

Now after replacing this sensor, I am wondering if it was failing for a while before actually throwing the code. For a long time, I felt as if it was lacking a little on the top end, but I attributed that feeling to having been driving the car for so long that I was now just used to it. I also would notice a slight hesitation at like 5000 rpms when on it hard, and I thought that was a mis-fire, so I got a tune-up about a month ago. it made the car run much more smooth overall, but I still would notice that hesitation. I just test drove my car after putting the sensor on and ran it through the gears hard, and not only is the exhaust louder, my top end is back in a big way, and there is no hesitation whatsoever.

I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and replace the other 3 sensors for good measure. I mean, if one sensor can have that much impact on performance, I wonder if I'm still missing anything.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. The guy at the Nissan parts department said he sells a lot of them, so apparently it is pretty common, but no one really discusses it on here. He knew exactly what I was referring to when I called. I just said I needed a Bank 1 exhaust cam sensor, just make sure to specify that its the straight one if any questions come up.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Jersey, are you excited to see all the bennies and shoobies leave after this weekend? I am!

Anyway, I didn't get the pedal method down the first time. But the second time I was really specific to do the 5 pedal pumps in 5 seconds, that seemed to make the difference. The first time I was a little slower. Just push in and let out really fast 5 times, wait the 7 seconds and press the pedal for 10 seconds and it should blink... if it doesn't by then, start over. It was pretty easy.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:31 PM
I was thinking I should replace all of them, but I have the rev-up and at $103 a piece, plus the crank sensor... I think I may just wait it out. Not sure though. Seems like they start to fail way before the ses light comes on.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Camshaft sensor connector

I need help. I have identified that my Bank 2 camshaft sensor is faulty. Bought the sensor got everything off and got to the sensor. Now i am stuck b/c I can't separate the sensor from the pigtail (connector). I have thought about replacing the whole thing but you can't buy the connector. Any advice or ideas?

Old 09-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
^ is that a p0021 code?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Camshaft sensor problem