Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Hard start and weak power, No Codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Hard start and weak power, No Codes

Hey guy's i am near the end of fixing the problems this car had when I purchased her but the last two things I want to be corrected is my hard start problem and what seems like weak power. The car turns over fine but won't start with out a lot of "go's". When it does start it sometimes powers right up or it will stutter until it hits normal rpm. Also if the car gets warm and I stall (for example) i will have to wait like 15 mins till the car starts again.

Now for the weak power.... If I rev up and take my foot off but then rev again she'll have a VERY slow reaction it doesn't feel right...

What could the solutions to these problems be? PLEASE HELP I want this car on the road already

Old 10-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
how many "go's" exactly? Infiniti is very specific about the "go's".

Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ejgold55
how many "go's" exactly? Infiniti is very specific about the "go's".
7-10 I would say -.-

Old 10-01-2013, 05:10 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Sounds like a bad camshaft position sensor or a bad crankcase position sensor. These are known to start going bad and not throw a code and causing hard start and rough running conditions. You can go to an auto parts store to see if they can read a trouble code. It's possible for one to be there before the SES light trips. If you come up with a P0340 or a P0345 it's a cam sensor, can't remember the code for the crank sensor.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Sounds like a bad camshaft position sensor or a bad crankcase position sensor. These are known to start going bad and not throw a code and causing hard start and rough running conditions. You can go to an auto parts store to see if they can read a trouble code. It's possible for one to be there before the SES light trips. If you come up with a P0340 or a P0345 it's a cam sensor, can't remember the code for the crank sensor.
Yeah dude I revved a little harder then usual and the p0345 code came back, driver side bank 2 camshaft sensor.... Just a little strange that I replaced it before and still gave me the same problem so I returned the new part. I guess I have to buy both banks and hope that it works

Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks mods for moving, still need help

Old 10-05-2013, 05:04 PM
So no help?

Old 10-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought on the cam shaft position sensor, My car threw the 340 code and was having start up issues and stallout issues steady. I replaced my sensor with a cheaper one from eBay and cleared the code which hasn't come back. My car no longer stalls out, but sometimes I have to turn it over 2 or 3 times before it fires up, where as before thesensor malfunction and code trip the car started on the first try everytime. My starting issues could be the result of a cheap sensor, but I find that if I turn my ignition key on, and give the fuel pump a couple seconds to prime, the car usually starts first try. Not sure if this is related or not. Your weak power is prolly due to the Cam Shaft Position Sensor as well, if thats the only code that's getting thrown. I know before I changed my sensor that if I was moving and the car stalled out I could tap the gas a couple times while the car was still in drive and sometimes the Engine would fire up again as if it never stalled, other times it wouldn't help and I'd have to put it in neutral and do a rolling engine start, sometimes it would fire quickly, sometimes it would take a couple tries, sometimes I had to pull over and put it into park and start it a couple times before it would fire up. Hope my experiences help.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the great info!^ Code came back calling for the driver side so I went ahead and purchased both just incase, still waiting on the part so I can move to the next step. I really hope that it fixes the hard start issues, I feel embarrassed having a luxury car that can't even start up properly .

Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If you're not buying OEM sensors you're opening yourself up to more issues. For some reason our cars can be finicky with aftermarket electronic pieces. Hope you ordered OEM.....

Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 AM
If you're not buying OEM sensors you're opening yourself up to more issues. For some reason our cars can be finicky with aftermarket electronic pieces. Hope you ordered OEM.....
Okay unfortunately i did not :/ I put them in today and the car started right up with no SES light on but once I shut it off I had trouble turning it back on. Could this involve my timing? Previous owner messed with the chain and said he threw it off. When I turn off the car the engine does power down quite slowly after I remove the key.... like its finishing its last revs

Old 10-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I can tell you from experience those sensor codes are nearly a sham. This actually sounds like a vacuum leak. Go to a mechanic who has a smoke machine and see if there's any leaks.

EDIT: after reading your last post, definitely check that freaking chain. Or have someone who knows where / how it's supposed to be to look at it.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wouldn't it throw a code?

Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Yeah i just lost money on those damn sensor's. But i'd rather lose $80 then time first haha.

At this point im nearly positive the weak power and hard start is because of the previous owner's stupidity and his reason for touching the timing chain and absolutely forgetting to mark the appropriate places. I can't complain though I bought this car knowing it was a "mechanics special". I'll be tackling the the timing chain this weekend, it's going to be time consuming and a pain in the ***. But i'll be saving about 2k in labor costs when I can just put that towards some new shoes for her

Thanks guys for all the help. I will update upon completion and maybe a little DIY, idk yet

Old 10-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
yea.. i can almost guarantee its the timing... hopefully he didnt add any extra marks to confuse you of where TDC is... if you have an osirus ciphor, you could actually plug it to a laptop and get a timing readout... i would guess the electronics would be able to tell you the correct timing even if the chain is off by a few teeth

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hard start and weak power, No Codes