Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Viper Remote Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper Remote Start

Is viper remote start worth getting It costs around parts and installation so everything around $800..

I have like $1000 What can I get to improve my car?

Already have z-tube, K&N dropin.
ANy help?

Old 02-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ehmm what is the use of a Remote Start? Cant you start your engine by yourself? I see no point in wasting 800$ on that. Save that money up for something else, a set of tires for the future.

Old 02-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Where are you located, I bought my Viper VX1 alarm and had it installed with the remote start for 550. Bought the alarm on ebay and had it installed at Sound Advice. They did an awesome job too.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah $800 is VERY steep for a Viper alarm. If it is the 2way system then at max you should pay $600 TOPS. I'm not a big fan of the Viper 2 way though, the normal one way remote start is hands down the BEST alarm system you can buy (was a 560XV last time I checked).

When it comes to 2 ways I'm not even sure what I would go with. I don't recomend the Viper, Code Alarm, or Audiovox. Maybe look into Computstar?

If you get a chance have your installer ITEMIZE how they came up with $800. Post it up here and I'll tell you where you can save some cash. These alarms arn't that hard to install.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:39 AM
yea thats way too expensive... i paid $400 for my Clifford RSX 3.5 installed and thats remote start / 2way responder... as for the usefulness, the alarm itself is better with the shock sensor and passive arming capabilities... but the remote start is really up to you if you need something like that. I opted for remote start plus the 2way thing cuz its cool lol

Old 02-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by G35_coupe_6MT
ehmm what is the use of a Remote Start? Cant you start your engine by yourself? I see no point in wasting 800$ on that. Save that money up for something else, a set of tires for the future.
Come spend a Winter in Ohio and you will find the answer to that question. Those leather seats are COLD when its zero degrees out. Also, I don't think its very good to sit on the leather when its cold and stiff, so basically with a remote start you can heat your car (and seats) up before you get in them, thus prolonging the life of your leather! Its also nice to have the engine idle a bit when temps dip that low, and who wants to sit in a freeaing car why it warms up?

I even have a remote start on my work truck.....

Old 02-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
thought you needed our key with the chip in it to start the car? does it disable that feature for remote start? **sorry new at this**

Old 02-07-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm also interested in that Clifford Matrix alarm. How do you like it? Any likes/dislikes? How's the remote start feature working? I really hate warming up my car right now in the winter.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned
The car still needs the transponder signal in order for the car to start. A typical 'high' end alarm system with remote start will cost around $450 installed. The transponder bypass is usually around $50. For the G35 expect about $50-100 in extra 'custom' labor for running wires into the door. You shouldn't need any other parts or anything for the installation.

All I know about Clifford is that they were bought out by DEI (the company that owns Viper) about 5 years ago.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Banned
Oh, and the transponder bypass ONLY works when the remote start feature is activated. It does NOT bypass the stock immobilizer system under normal operation. To do that you have to take a completely different route

Old 02-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like a hassle for the installer

Old 02-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Banned
Its really not that bad. And when you consider you are paying roughly around $180 for the about 5 hours of labor you can see how expensive it is to have these things installed! Professional installers are employed to sealessly integrate aftermarket alarms with our new-age sophisticated cars. Of course there are differnet levels of experiance when it comes to installing alarms and ALWAYS know who is going to be heading up the install and make sure you can trust him/her!

Old 02-07-2005, 07:39 PM
the RSX 3.5 is pretty good. The range on the remote is good in open areas but it definitely suffers through buildings. But to give you an idea, if i'm on the 6th floor of my apartment building i can remote start the car if its on the street. If you're in NYC, the range is roughly 1 to 2 city blocks depending if you have an unobstructed view.

Remote start feature works as well as any other remote starters out there. I don't need to disarm the system, just remote start it. The remote then notifies me if it worked or not, which is useful if you can't see your car. The car remains locked so no one can get in and you need to have the key in the on position and depress the break pedal to disengage the failsafe.

they would have installed the window rollup mod but didn't really see the need for it. From what i've heard clifford is a totally different system than viper even though its the same company but you probably can't tell the difference. The remote is similar to the viper remote except that it has a carbon fiber look to it rather than the viper's blue. Haven't had any problems with the alarm thus far, knock on wood...

Old 02-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Definitely $800 is too much. I recently had a remote starter installed on my Maxima 5sp and it cost me $270. The installer said that only Compustar has all the safety features for a manual transmission vehicle. With modern day vehicles coming with immobilizers you will need to forfeit one of your keys, as they will put one inside your car to bypass the immobilizer. Just for FYI they quoted me $550 to install the Compustar 2 way alarm w/ remote starter. Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:52 PM
I have the new clifford 850 with remote start, window roll up and a tilt sensor. Top of the line alarm system...had some trouble with the remote start...but the problem was fixed..it was the 555U or 556U (chiped key module).

Clifford wasn't bought out 5 years ago..its more like 1-2 years, however the cliffords are still a higher standard than a viper. Any professional shop can tell you that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Viper Remote Start