Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Timing Chain and.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Hey Eugene,

My oil pan looked pretty even, but I did notice some of the holes looked slightly raised up. I'm probably going to have to re-do the gasket though. I bought the .5 oz of RTV and it wasn't enough to get as much coverage. So, I noticed there was a small oil leak coming out from the back of the oil pan.

I took pictures as well, but they're on my phone and I will upload them when I get the chance.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Well, I re-did the oil pan seal with some black RTV. Waited the allotted time, joined the pieces, and then let it cure. Added the oil and it started having a small leak again, so I think I'm going to just have to get another gasket and hope it seals. Based on this experience I wouldn't recommend one of those Fel-Pro gaskets if you plan on going back to RTV of course someone else could have a different experience.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Just figured I'd update the status of using RTV or Fel-Pro on your lower oil pan. Your mileage may vary, but if you stick a Fel-Pro on there and torque it down to specs you might as well stick with it from then on. I tried using RTV two or three different times, but every time I ended up with a leak somewhere different on the oil pan. I let it cure for 24 hours the last time and after putting in new oil it had another small leak.

About two weeks ago; I finally had some time to myself, lol. I took off the lower oil pan during my last oil change, scraped the RTV off, and put a Fel-Pro back on. No more leaking now....kind of weird that it would leak with RTV, but that was my experience.

Oh yea stick with only the Nissan RTV or Permatex. I tried the garbage from Harbor Freight and that's what it was....

Car is running like new, ball joints intact, lower control arms still good, and that radiator I bought is still in great shape.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
glad you got things sorted out!

Old 12-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I started my car the other day, and it literally sounded like diesel engine clatter. Not sure what it was, turned off my car shortly thereafter, and was sort of scared to start it again. So I turned it on again, and it wasn't as loud. It was coming from the drivers side of the engine block. This concerns me after reading this post that it may be a water pump, but I don't know. It hasn't happened before that, and hasn't happened after. So, I'm letting it go till that happens again. It was an unseasonably warm 60 degree November day in Binghamton too, so I know it wasn't because of cold weather and my wrong choice of oil(10W30). But another thing I was looking into, was whether or not it's upkeep/maintenance to change your timing chain. I know belts should be changed around 80-100k, but chains go a lot longer, and sometimes never really even need to be changed? That's what I've gathered, but again, I'm not sure. And one more little question which I could figure out by searching for two seconds, but I'm already in the middle of this gargantuan post: Is the VQ engine an interference engine? Just reading through this thread was very pleasant, and I enjoyed the temperament of everybody, if you know what I mean. And props to you for taking on this project and not having any crazy stipulations along the way. How's it holding up? Anywho, sorry for resurrecting this thread with unrelated questions. :P

Old 12-03-2014, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by Micahhh
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I started my car the other day, and it literally sounded like diesel engine clatter. Not sure what it was, turned off my car shortly thereafter, and was sort of scared to start it again. So I turned it on again, and it wasn't as loud. It was coming from the drivers side of the engine block. This concerns me after reading this post that it may be a water pump, but I don't know. It hasn't happened before that, and hasn't happened after. So, I'm letting it go till that happens again. It was an unseasonably warm 60 degree November day in Binghamton too, so I know it wasn't because of cold weather and my wrong choice of oil(10W30). But another thing I was looking into, was whether or not it's upkeep/maintenance to change your timing chain. I know belts should be changed around 80-100k, but chains go a lot longer, and sometimes never really even need to be changed? That's what I've gathered, but again, I'm not sure. And one more little question which I could figure out by searching for two seconds, but I'm already in the middle of this gargantuan post: Is the VQ engine an interference engine? Just reading through this thread was very pleasant, and I enjoyed the temperament of everybody, if you know what I mean. And props to you for taking on this project and not having any crazy stipulations along the way. How's it holding up? Anywho, sorry for resurrecting this thread with unrelated questions. :P
Does the noise go away after it's been running? I'd start with checking your oil level and it could be chain rattle. My car is running good since I did this. I have some chain rattle now, but it goes away. Yes, if your timing is off your engine can be fubared. If you're not having temp problems or hearing loud screeching bearings your water pump is fine.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It only happened once, went away after about 30 seconds, and never before or after has it happened again. :P